My great uncle was ranch manager here in the 50s and early sixties, He and my aunt Dorothy lived in the big two story ranch house that was right next to the mansion.In the summers I got to go play cowboy on the ranch which belonged to Rice but was leased out to run cattle on. My uncle Buddy was also somewhat a caretaker for the mansion.I had the chance to visit the property many times.There used to be servants quarters behind the mansion that were connected to the main house by an underground tunnel so servants could be summoned to work and show up without being seen on the grounds. It has been a long time, but I seem to remember about a dozen bathrooms each with a different scene done in tile.Much of the original furniture was gone by the time I first saw the house but I remember the dining table being  at least  30 feet long with highbacked chairs. the dining hall had a huge fireplace at one end and a very high vaulted ceiling with a hand painted mural. In the master bath there was a very heavy marble rub down table and an old time steam cabinet.

I am not sure, but I believe Silver Dollar Jim West lived in River Oaks. There were stories about him [or maybe a brother] who had a tennis court built there with fences and netting that were built on a hydralic lift system to comply with building codes in River Oaks. When not in use they dissapeared underground.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

What occupies the Jim West mansion now? I drove past last Wednesday (Sept. 25) for the first time in a long, long time and it looks like some sort of plant nursery. I was driving and conversing with the passengers in my car so I was really not able to take an extended look at the place. It is no longer Hakeem's specialty shop that is for sure.

• 1 month later...

This is an abomination. I only learned about it this morning from an e-mail sent to Preservation Houston membership. I guess it was a "middle of the night" type of thing even though it occurred in broad daylight since I saw nothing previously from Preservation Houston. It also seemed like the demolition permit "flew under the RADAR" since the structure was located in Pasadena instead of Houston.

I am heart-sick about this. If someone wanted to develop the land around the mansion why not keep the building as a reception space/fitness center/other amenity? If the new development is perceived to be multi-family, or even mixed-use, this would have been something to consider.

One has to wonder why the anti-demolition covenant as part of the 1991 sale (per the Preservation Houston e-mail I received) had an expiration date. That seems ridiculous. I guess historic status is meaningless in some places.

I'm not a superstitious person but I have to think there will be a curse attached to any future development of this site due to this heinous action which preceded it.

2 hours ago, Specwriter said:

One has to wonder why the anti-demolition covenant as part of the 1991 sale (per the Preservation Houston e-mail I received) had an expiration date. That seems ridiculous. I guess historic status is meaningless in some places.

I was likewise surprised to find out that Texas Historic Landmark and National Register of Historic Places designations have to be periodically renewed. Not that it would have probably mattered in this case, as in the case of the National Register, such designations are merely honorific and do not place any restrictions on the property owners as to use, modification, development, or sale. Texas Historic Landmark designations only require consultation with the Texas Historical Commission 60 days in advance of planned changes, but about all they can do is revoke the designation if they don't like the changes. 

Edited by mkultra25

• 2 months later...
On 11/24/2019 at 2:29 PM, mkultra25 said:

I was likewise surprised to find out that Texas Historic Landmark and National Register of Historic Places designations have to be periodically renewed. Not that it would have probably mattered in this case, as in the case of the National Register, such designations are merely honorific and do not place any restrictions on the property owners as to use, modification, development, or sale. Texas Historic Landmark designations only require consultation with the Texas Historical Commission 60 days in advance of planned changes, but about all they can do is revoke the designation if they don't like the changes. 

So is there a difference between a Texas Historic Landmark and a Texas Antiquities Landmark? If so, what is it? Because its my understanding that with a TAL designation, if you fail to get the permit from THC, they can fine you up to $1,000 and/or 30 days in jail. Though I've heard in practice they never pursue it.

On 2/19/2020 at 3:49 PM, Reefmonkey said:

So is there a difference between a Texas Historic Landmark and a Texas Antiquities Landmark? If so, what is it? Because its my understanding that with a TAL designation, if you fail to get the permit from THC, they can fine you up to $1,000 and/or 30 days in jail. Though I've heard in practice they never pursue it.

As I understand it, designation as an Antiquities Landmark bestows legal protections that designation as a Historic Landmark does not. It still doesn't prevent alteration or demolition but you have to go through the permit process you mention.

https://www.thc.texas.gov/designations

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• The title was changed to Old Estate On Nasa Road 1 On Clear Lake Near Space Center
  • 1 month later...

Sadly this sits empty.  I mean they demolished it to do nothing!  Reminds me of the Robinson Public Warehouse at Montrose and Allen Parkway.  Torn down for nothing.

To be fair, the potential value in this property was in not having a 7 lane road serving as the demising line between Clear Lake and the property. I hope something commercial that’s related to NASA gets placed here, but it will likely be apartments.

• The title was changed to 2
  • The topic was unpinned