METRORail Uptown Line

wakester

• 1 month later...

Update (albeit an old one. Not sure who has seen this.)

METRO is pleased to announce that engineering work on the Uptown Light-Rail Corridor is 65 percent complete! METRO President & CEO, Frank J. Wilson, recently presented project updates at the Galleria Chamber of Commerce Luncheon. Highlights are detailed in the latest Uptown Corridor METRORail News.

METRO is working out an agreement with the Uptown Authority/TIRZ to partner in the construction of a segment of the Uptown Light-Rail Line. Additionally, the Uptown District has been actively engaged with METRO in planning design concepts and implementation. For more detail, please view the recent Houston Chronicle article.

http://metrosolutions.org/go/doc/1068/112150/

Through community input the design has been refined to reflect the aesthetic character of Uptown. Some station locations are shifting to provide optimal ridership and convenience. The station currently referred to as the Memorial Station has been approved.

http://metrosolutions.org/posted/1068/METR...1008.229534.pdf

The connection of the University and Uptown lines involves relocation of the eastbound lanes of Westpark. The median space created will be used for the westbound Uptown line and a possible future station. The westbound track is located in the median until it crosses the eastbound lanes of Westpark east of South Rice. It will intersect the westbound track of the University Corridor. In the other direction, the eastbound track crosses Westpark, turns east, and intersects the eastbound track of the University Corridor.

When: Work will begin in 2009

Where: Northwest Transit center to Westpark

How: In coordinated segments

(please see related article, pg 4)

It

• 4 months later...

March 2009

METRO's newly approved contract with Parsons Transportation Group to build light rail includes plans for the Uptown light rail project. Uptown is one of the four rail alignments covered in this historic agreement which opens the door for construction activities to begin. In terms of timing, the East End, North and Southeast corridors are further along in development, therefore work will be seen in those areas ahead of Uptown. Additionally, in terms of interconnectivity, the Uptown alignment is linked to the University corridor which also lags behind the others. However, in the Parsons contract, the METRO Board allocated $3 million of the initial funds for the Uptown project.

• 1 month later...

observation...

The building they jsut demolished a couple months ago looks like is the place where it says "proposed office"

also, renderings are consistent with others they they'll expand the right of way and include three lanes on both sides.

Edited by lockmat

That station design is awesome! I hope they are able to construct those, instead of the boring "winged" stations posted somewhere else here.

Station was cool.. but seeing all the canceled projects they're touting in the beginning of the presentation is sad and funny.

Yeah, but by the time this line opens, there will be more projects already built. Most of the holds are due to financing, and Houston is already at the top of the heap for construction once we get out of the Great Recession.

Thanks for sharing. Those green spaces and tunnels look interesting.

Just got back from a week trip in Paris, was there for a wedding and touring. Did not miss my car at all and got plenty of exercise! Their integrated system is the best I've used (above NY, Rome, London), which includes trains (commutter, subway and elevated), trams (like our light rail) and buses. Their trams run (mostly) along their loop and the one I rode on the south had nice grass tracks.

Just got back from a week trip in Paris, was there for a wedding and touring. Did not miss my car at all and got plenty of exercise! Their integrated system is the best I've used (above NY, Rome, London), which includes trains (commutter, subway and elevated), trams (like our light rail) and buses. Their trams run (mostly) along their loop and the one I rode on the south had nice grass tracks.

I have to disagree... London's transit system is a modern marvel, way more impressive that Paris.

• 4 months later...

So Metro posts a non update, update.

Thought I would share the news.

September 2009

The question was asked; When will construction start? We at METRO know that you are anxious for the Uptown Light Rail project to get started, and so are we. As soon as there is an update with definitive information we will let you know. Thanks for your patience, and thanks for your support of the project.

Well, since the Uptown Line won't have a maintenance facility, it can't be operated until the University line is completed. I bet they're just waiting for the U Line to get its final approval before they break ground. The contractors are busy enough with the other lines anyway.

According to the FAQ section on Metro Solutions... construction for the University Line has been moved back to late 2010 start date. Uptown Line is saying 2010. They still estimate a 4 yr. construction period, so that pushes us back to 2014 before we MAY have the system up and running.

At least the East End Line is almost on schedule though.

According to the FAQ section on Metro Solutions... construction for the University Line has been moved back to late 2010 start date. Uptown Line is saying 2010. They still estimate a 4 yr. construction period, so that pushes us back to 2014 before we MAY have the system up and running.

At least the East End Line is almost on schedule though.

So do we know if the east end line, southeast line, and north line are still expected to be fully operational with main street line by 2012? Really sucks that this is getting pushed back, the uptown and university lines are the most important of the new lines in my opinion...

So do we know if the east end line, southeast line, and north line are still expected to be fully operational with main street line by 2012? Really sucks that this is getting pushed back, the uptown and university lines are the most important of the new lines in my opinion...

North, East End, and Southeast are still scheduled to be in operation by the end of 2012.

i love that joke

I don't doubt that they can do it. Construction - well, more like destruction so far - is really gearing up and the deadline is over 3 years away.

University Line, on the other hand...not so much. No one can make a great prediction until it emerges from the murk of the federal funding process. I doubt there will be dirt turned on Uptown until then, either.

• 1 month later...

The diagram doesn't show the flood waters cascading into the tunnel every time we get a good downpour.:o

Yeah... Since we all know the underground Galleria parking garages not 100 yards away are constantly turning into underground swimming pools everytime it rains.

Great find Lockmat!

I think more people will ride it if its underground in this area. They could get done shopping and not have to worry about waiting on the train in the rain or heat or cold.

I just thought it was an interesting find. Let's just remember it says, "alternative." All of their projects are listed under "Case Studies" and they're all not necessarily final designs, but proposals.