METRORail Uptown Line

wakester

Since the Uptown line is going to be BRT and not rail, it would be nice if they built the stations first and then started running the line on the street while the dedicated lanes are being built. Then as a segment of guideway is finished, it could move over to use it. That would allow the service to start early, help build ridership and awareness, and as Post Oak is being worked on maybe help to take a few cars off the road.

Who knows, maybe after a year of building ridership they may find that there is no need to cover the rails and can justify making it LRT.

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Since the Uptown line is going to be BRT and not rail, it would be nice if they built the stations first and then started running the line on the street while the dedicated lanes are being built. Then as a segment of guideway is finished, it could move over to use it. That would allow the service to start early, help build ridership and awareness, and as Post Oak is being worked on maybe help to take a few cars off the road.

Who knows, maybe after a year of building ridership they may find that there is no need to cover the rails and can justify making it LRT.

I thought the Uptown line would be light rail and the rest would not. So what if any will be light rail?

I thought the Uptown line would be light rail and the rest would not. So what if any will be light rail?

The University Line/Westpark Corridor/Lakewood Love Train/Afton Oaks Disaster. . .whatever you want to call it, (DogPark Express)

That is the ONLY one that I know that is guaranteed to be LRT.

There are only two lines that are suppose to start out as light rail and the small section that is suppose to link UH-Downtown to the Hardy Rail Yards. Evrything else will be BRT until ridership numbers justify rail. Correct?

I think only the University line is LRT and the Red Line extension. Although they did tease that they may make the Uptown line so that the University line could go up Post Oak to San Felipe.

• 3 months later...

Here is the latest update that Metro put in my inbox, and from what I've seen it's rather interesting.

I'm sure this won't get built unless the Richmond line gets built or another line gets built that would connect to it.

It is my hope that the Richmond segment would be completed, but I also look forward to The Proposed Washington line would also be built to complete this circle.

One thing I was thinking when I was using the trains in Chicago, perhaps as ridership would allow, subways would be built under most of the current lines as an "express" to augment the demand that would be demanded of in the future.

I see this being used heavily by people working in Uptown and commuting from 290. If Metro made more stops at the NWTC from I-10 park n rides then out that area also.

The truth is that a lot of people will not use even commuter buses like the 286 (current Uptown line). It doesn't travel during the day (have to know to use the local 33 bus), are not very frequent (15 min during peak time), since it starts at Greenway Plaza not always on the scheduled time, and although the 610 construction helped with the traffic along the 610 access road it can still take time to get to the NWTC. I would even go so far as to say a vast majority of the people that work in the Uptown area and live out 290 do not even know it is there.

I think that when the BRT is in place it will get a lot more attention and people will be more inclined to "try" it.

• 1 month later...

As I have stated on the North Red Line expansion, I believe that as more routes come online and the ridership is as successful as the current Red line, then approval and construction would increase at a considerable rate.

It's only getting the initial routes to get up and moving. Quite frankly, I am more excited about the eastern lines, as this would more than be highly successful.

My only wish is to sure METRO has some balls and do the best routes.

Editor:

I noticed that the brown line is relatively new in Chicago, how hard was it to get that particular route approved? Is it elevated and how much whining was involved?

As I have stated on the North Red Line expansion, I believe that as more routes come online and the ridership is as successful as the current Red line, then approval and construction would increase at a considerable rate.

It's only getting the initial routes to get up and moving. Quite frankly, I am more excited about the eastern lines, as this would more than be highly successful.

My only wish is to sure METRO has some balls and do the best routes.

Editor:

I noticed that the brown line is relatively new in Chicago, how hard was it to get that particular route approved? Is it elevated and how much whining was involved?

The Brown line in Chicago has been around for a VERY long time (more than a century). Much of it is elevated. (I suspect you saw references somewhere to the "New Brown". That is referring to a capacity expansion project, not to a new line)

I might be mistaken, but the new line I was referring to was to Midway Airport, from what I understand, that was built only within the past few years. On the way to the Cubs game, I noticed a line heading towards the west and it looked like it was one under construction.

• 4 months later...

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5223782.html

Metro panel votes for light rail on all five planned lines

By RAD SALLEE

Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

The Metropolitan Transit Authority board voted today on a Richmond-Wheeler route for its controversial University light rail line. But that was almost an anticlimax: It also voted to put light rail

This is great news! I just hope they do consider submerging this light rail for Uptown at least at the major intersections. If not, I'd have to say I might not even be for it. There are so many people that could benefit, but if done wrong, there are even more that would be negatively affected.

I agree with that assessment. They need to either make parts of it elevated or submerged.

But the people that live or work in the Uptown area are used to walking a short distance because of the way it is laid out anyway. plus with traffic the way it is, it's actually faster to walk.

The traffic on Post Oak Blvd (at least during rush hour) is really not that bad. I ride the 286 bus which sort follows the same path as the Uptown line, and the part that gets the most traffic is the access road from Post Oak Blvd to Memorial (before the 610 work the North bound was a nightmare). That is in the morning and the afternoon. Since the line will be elevated for that portion, it will remove the biggest bottleneck. I could live with it stopping at the light at Westheimer and at San Felipe. Maybe the other lights the train will be able to take priority. To me the biggest benefit will be the more frequent service.

The traffic on Post Oak Blvd (at least during rush hour) is really not that bad. I ride the 286 bus which sort follows the same path as the Uptown line, and the part that gets the most traffic is the access road from Post Oak Blvd to Memorial (before the 610 work the North bound was a nightmare). That is in the morning and the afternoon. Since the line will be elevated for that portion, it will remove the biggest bottleneck. I could live with it stopping at the light at Westheimer and at San Felipe. Maybe the other lights the train will be able to take priority. To me the biggest benefit will be the more frequent service.

I agree that if you're just heading down Post Oak, it really isn't that bad. The problem, though, is everyone (like myself) that has to cross Post Oak on a regular basis from Westheimer, San Felipe, or Richmond. And with all the highrise development taking place along Post Oak, the other problem is that this is probably a 30-year investment, and that even in 5 years, Post Oak will be a different street than we know it today.

I am sure METRO would look into having at least an elevated track over Westheimer and San Felipe. For the possible subway, will it go under before Uptown Park? That would make for a nice subway station.

Trae, I got a great idea. Why don't you go to the METRO website and read what WAS ALREADY DECIDED, instead of throwing out your ideas that absolutely will not happen?

Just a thought.

Okay, so where did you get this subway idea? There is nothing that says subway on there. Nothing has been completely decided yet...

If you look here, there is a planned Uptown Park Station already. I was just thinking it may swoop down into a subway for that station. Now that I think about it though, too much money right now to consider.

Archived