Kitchen Remodel

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
IMG_0693.jpg

IMG_1481.jpg

I like the paint, reminds me of the house i grow up in the Aldine area our bathroom tiles were yellow, my room was orange, the living was turquoise ,my parents room was green. thanks for the tour down memory lane. ;) all stomp and drag

Wow!!! That is one awesome remodel/renovation. Now, when is the tour?

well, it may be next Sunday. There is going to be several houses open in there next Sunday, including the Santa Elena and Colgate houses, and I will probably throw this one in the mix. I flip/flop on selling it and starting over with another one. I am a glutton for punishment.

OK, everyone gets to vote. My cabinets are going to be painted an olive green color. I am torn between two colors of granite. Both go well with the olive paint, but in different ways. I am going to let you guys throw in your two cents.

First, Baltic Green. This green at first appears dark, but lightens considerably in light.

BalticGreen.jpg

Next is Violetta. This has some red pigment, but next to the olive paint, it seems to have olive in it as well.

VIOLETTA.JPG

What do you think? The Baltic Green is a safe pick, but may be too dark. The Violetta is a little riskier, but looks good.

Tell me your thoughts.

Here are a couple of pics with the cabinet and wall paint chips. The 2nd one is a bit washed out, due to lighting. The first is more correct.

P1010012.jpgP1010013.jpg

What do you think? The Baltic Green is a safe pick, but may be too dark. The Violetta is a little riskier, but looks good.

Tell me your thoughts.

It's hard to tell without seeing the cabinet color next to the granite but I am thinking the violetta. Too much green the other way and the greyed violet tones sound good with olive.

It's hard to tell without seeing the cabinet color next to the granite but I am thinking the violetta. Too much green the other way and the greyed violet tones sound good with olive.

I agree, let's see what this olive green looks like :)

flipper

I tend to agree with danax, but also want the side-by-side comparison.

I vote for the Violetta as well. And agree it would be nice to see a chip of the paint color next to the granite to make final decision. One day you may want to change the color of your cabinets.

BTW, great job on this project!

I'm interested in knowing what your cost on granite ended up being. Did you ever consider the granite tile? I keep seeing it used in remodel projects and wonder if there is a significant savings. Of course I do not like it nearly as much, but it seems to be an "acceptable" countertop.

Edit.... now you have the paint chips. But they look like totally different sets of colors.

Violetta.

What about the back-splash?

In an overwhelming victory, Violetta wins out. As beautiful as the Baltic Green is, to use it would require changing the cabinet and wall colors. Too much green, as many pointed out.

Backsplash will likely be some form of subway tile, but I am waiting for the paint and granite to go in to decide.

Cabinet trim is completely finished. Painters arrive tomorrow. Today is the end of 4 weeks on the job. Here's a few pics.

P1020016.jpg

P1020018.jpg

P1020014.jpg

P1020017.jpg

In an overwhelming victory, Violetta wins out. As beautiful as the Baltic Green is, to use it would require changing the cabinet and wall colors. Too much green, as many pointed out.

Backsplash will likely be some form of subway tile, but I am waiting for the paint and granite to go in to decide.

Cabinet trim is completely finished. Painters arrive tomorrow. Today is the end of 4 weeks on the job.

Great!!! Now what about the ceiling finish?

Floor?

Cabinet pulls?

B)

Great!!! Now what about the ceiling finish?

Floor?

Cabinet pulls?

B)

The ceiling will be stained similar to my existing floors. The floors will be refinished when everything else is complete...hopefully the entire house will be done.

The drawer/cabinet pulls look like this...

amerock.jpg

They match the appliance handles.

So do you pull out the fridge to service the HW heater? or is there a back door?

Just noticed that...it does look that way, doesn't it?

Fridge won't like being in that cavity with all that heat off the water heater. Better clean those coils religiously.

Yeah, the fridge slides out to get to the water heater. It is open on the side and above the heater. I think it will work well, but if heat becomes a problem, there is room to insulate between the two. The water heater does not run that often, since I live here alone, but I will keep an eye on that.

I still like having the water heater in that corner versus putting it in the attic, which was considered. I could also move it later if I need to.

They didn't make you put the water heater on a pedestal?

The Water Heater only had to be elevated when it is in a garage.

However, the current set up isnt very safe unfortunately. If you put a water heater in a closet or closet like space like you have it must be well ventilated. Theres a code requirement for the size of the vent. Thats why when you see a water heater in a closet, it always has a louvered door on it (if its up to code)

flipper

The Water Heater only had to be elevated when it is in a garage.

However, the current set up isnt very safe unfortunately. If you put a water heater in a closet or closet like space like you have it must be well ventilated. Theres a code requirement for the size of the vent. Thats why when you see a water heater in a closet, it always has a louvered door on it (if its up to code)

flipper

my neighbor moved hers inside the living area and they made her elevate it as well as install an overflow pan. The did not make her put a louvered door.

Archived