Kitchen Remodel

The Water Heater only had to be elevated when it is in a garage.

However, the current set up isnt very safe unfortunately. If you put a water heater in a closet or closet like space like you have it must be well ventilated. Theres a code requirement for the size of the vent. Thats why when you see a water heater in a closet, it always has a louvered door on it (if its up to code)

flipper

It is not exactly a closet. The wall only rises 8 feet in a 9 foot room. The entire top is open, as is the space next to the fridge, which is not airtight. There is more ventilation now than when it had the louvered door.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
who is they?

flipper

the same they who said you needed a louvered door per code told her she need to raise the water heater. I will say that the code enforcement isn't uniform in Houston. It's amazing what a simple meal or bottle of wine to the inspector will do for you.

the same they who said you needed a louvered door per code told her she need to raise the water heater. I will say that the code enforcement isn't uniform in Houston. It's amazing what a simple meal or bottle of wine to the inspector will do for you.

You sure are right about the consistency of code enforcement.

I've never tried anything except being extra polite to inspectors. I don't even know how I'd offer to buy them a meal :)

flipper

It is not exactly a closet. The wall only rises 8 feet in a 9 foot room. The entire top is open, as is the space next to the fridge, which is not airtight. There is more ventilation now than when it had the louvered door.

I have a Kenmore Power Miser 12 in the same size room and its sits on a 1x1 ceramic tile floor inside the house. why do they want it on pedestal in the garage?

i've heard that sometimes, if you use the same inspector a couple of times and also hire him as your exterminator, he will only tag what you want tagged and will otherwise point out what you need to do to get to code on some things..

back on topic....

man, that kitchen is looking GOOOOOD. i'm jealous.

You sure are right about the consistency of code enforcement.

I've never tried anything except being extra polite to inspectors. I don't even know how I'd offer to buy them a meal :)

flipper

One of my parents neighbors was a city inspector for years. He had many exciting stories including how Mayor Whitmire was building a swimming pool without a permit. Well...needless to say she was redtagged.

He was a tall man and had some shoes made custom for him. He said that after he became an inspector he no longer had to buy custom shoes because the contractors would give them to him for free!

I have a Kenmore Power Miser 12 in the same size room and its sits on a 1x1 ceramic tile floor inside the house. why do they want it on pedestal in the garage?

since gas fumes tend to be near the floor they want to keep ignition sources higher.

since gas fumes tend to be near the floor they want to keep ignition sources higher.

Okay i see mine is electric so it doesn't matter. thanks ;)

edit; unless you live in a flood plain.

One of my parents neighbors was a city inspector for years. He had many exciting stories including how Mayor Whitmire was building a swimming pool without a permit. Well...needless to say she was redtagged.

WOW! That is an incredible story! I guess the day your parent's friend was on site was the day the permit wasn't attached to the the SW corner of the fence. Also, I guess the red tag was hidden because when I was in grad school I never saw it seeing how I was the caretaker of her Bayland property. I'll have to give her a call to verify since you seem to have such impecible sources. :P

WOW! That is an incredible story! I guess the day your parent's friend was on site was the day the permit wasn't attached to the the SW corner of the fence. Also, I guess the red tag was hidden because when I was in grad school I never saw it seeing how I was the caretaker of her Bayland property. I'll have to give her a call to verify since you seem to have such impecible sources. :P

Is she still in Hawaii?

The cabinets are now painted!

Here are the cabinets with the primer coat.

P1060020.jpg

And, here is the color going on.

P1060021.jpg

They finished at 6:30 pm Saturday, and it is still tacky this morning, so it will be later today before I get a full picture. Also, the plastic is on every window, so the paint looks darker than it will be in real life, but it is a taste of what's to come. Monday the walls will be painted, and my 5 days of painting hell will have ended.

Granite was ordered yesterday as well. It should go in by the end of the week. Appliances start going in this week, too. The end is in sight.

BTW, for those who care, the official reason for placing water heaters on stands is to keep the pilot light away from stored volatile vapors, such as gasoline. It is required in garages, or in other storage areas. Since nothing volatile is stored in my kitchen, a stand is not required. The ventilation should be sufficient. However, if the pilot goes out frequently, suggesting a lack of fresh air, a ventilation pipe may be needed from the attic to the heater closet for better circulation. I'll be checking on that to make sure it is OK.

Now, back to cleanup. :)

It's lookin really good. I just might have to steal that cabinet color from you :)

What finish did you use on the cabinets? It looks like eg-shel.

I cannot imagine living in a house where they've been spraying laquer undercoater and oil based paint. You are an animal :)

flipper

I cannot imagine living in a house where they've been spraying laquer undercoater and oil based paint. You are an animal

I'm sure he's inhaling ;)

I"m just surprised that they didn't paint the doors somewhere else. For some reason i thought you were the one with the hinges that snap off easily.

I'm sure he's inhaling ;)

I"m just surprised that they didn't paint the doors somewhere else. For some reason i thought you were the one with the hinges that snap off easily.

Yeah, I've been stoned for 3 days. :P Actually, I have an industrial strength fan that sucks the air out of the house in minutes. After that thing runs for an hour or so, the smell is negligible. I don't recommend it for non-smokers, though. My lungs are used to it.

The drawers were painted and stored in the garage, but the cabinet doors stayed on. The hinges DO snap off easily, but they wanted to paint them, so I suppose that is why they left them up.

The finish is eg-shell. The color is Sherwin-Williams' Martha Stewart line, No. 8117, "Sachet". As a criminal defense lawyer, I thought I would help out Martha by using her paint scheme. I think it gives my kitchen good kharma. :D

The hinges DO snap off easily, but they wanted to paint them, so I suppose that is why they left them up.

Let me know how that works out. We paint hinges every time, but I've never used the kind that you are using.

flipper

The cabinets are now painted!

YEA!!!! That's a great color, Red. I'm sure you'll have the real feeling of satisfaction you always get when you have made a great and lasting improvement to your home.

Now, moving on to your menu for the HAIF dinner party you will be throwing for your grand opening... :lol:

B)

YEA!!!! That's a great color, Red. I'm sure you'll have the real feeling of satisfaction you always get when you have made a great and lasting improvement to your home.

Now, moving on to your menu for the HAIF dinner party you will be throwing for your grand opening... :lol:

B)

mmm, dinner pary! I'll bring a green amuse bouche! (NO idea how to spell that :) )

and to throw my 2 cents in late...I'm glad you didn't go with the green granite. I think you'll find that the dominate color will really bring out undertones in that violet one. My granite looks brownish on its own, but with purple walls and a red area rug, it really makes the detail in the granite pop.

hey, can you ask you installer about upkeep? I'm not sure if I should be applying a protective coating on mine or not...I'd hate to ruin a beautiful thing.

Finally! The paint is dry. The refrigerator was pulled out 5 weeks ago today, and it went back in at 5 pm.

P1090004.jpg

It looks a bit too green right now, since the countertops, blinds and appliances are not yet in. Hopefully, it softens up, but it is getting there.

P1090003.jpg

Tomorrow, undercounter lights and drawer/cabinet pulls go in. Granite comes Monday. Appliances go in later this week.

Yippee!

Thanks for the remarks, everyone. As the stainless steel appliances go in, the green is less and less dominating. Once the granite goes in on Monday, I believe it will put it in the right perspective. In fact, some have suggested painting the trim in the dining and living room that same sage green, with different wall colors. Also, I am going to reinstall my white venetian blinds to see how they look. I think wood blinds would match the ceiling, but these are free, so we'll see.

On another note, I finished installing all of my lights on Thursday. I took a picture, but the flash washed out the lights. There are 4 can lights in the ceiling, plus one over the sink. I put Xenon lights under the cabinets, and over the bar. Rope light is in the bar cabinet. I also put halogen spotlights on the driveway and deck out back, since I was already in the attic. Everything is on dimmers. I cannot tell you what a fan I have become of lighting and dimmers! They changed the entire look of the place. For a few hundred bucks, if you are comfortable around electricity, it will make a house look like a pro did it.

EDIT: I put my finger over the flash to get the lighting in the picture. Here is a sample.

P1110007.jpg

i was going to ask you about the lights you used under the counters. My brother and I installed xenon in his kitchen as well. but many install the ones that get very hot because they are cheaper. I think you made a great choice...also..i see those bar cabinets are empty again! ;)

I think you made a great choice...also..i see those bar cabinets are empty again! ;)

Look closely in the back corner of the kitchen. ;)

You are right about the xenon lights. Previously, there were fluorescents under the old cabinets. These cost more, but are dimmable and put off a much better color of light. Frankly, when blowing that much money on a remodel, an extra $100 for the better lights seemed to be a no-brainer. Same with the $25 dimmer versus a $10 paddle switch or a $3 regular switch. The dimmers rock!

Man, what a transformation. I haven't been on this thread since the intitial pics were posted and I've got to say that I'm impressed. I love the rope lighting in the bar cabinet, plus the Xenon lighting has a nice romantic hue.

Look closely in the back corner of the kitchen. ;)

You are right about the xenon lights. Previously, there were fluorescents under the old cabinets. These cost more, but are dimmable and put off a much better color of light. Frankly, when blowing that much money on a remodel, an extra $100 for the better lights seemed to be a no-brainer. Same with the $25 dimmer versus a $10 paddle switch or a $3 regular switch. The dimmers rock!

Concur on dimmers. i still think my bathroom one is the best. not to be blinded by light in the middle of the night is great.

And, today we have granite!

P1150002.jpg

P1150001.jpg

P1150005.jpg

P1150004.jpg

Unfortunately, the island slab was cut wrong. It will be recut and installed on Wednesday. I still need my drawer pulls, but it is getting close.

I am leaning very hard toward installing stainless steel on the backsplash to match the fridge. What do y'all think?

I am leaning very hard toward installing stainless steel on the backsplash to match the fridge. What do y'all think?

You know, I've got to disagree with Marty on this one. I think that what you've got right now is a very aesthetically balanced and warm kitchen. Too much stainless steel will turn it into a colder space, and one that I don't think matches so well with the character of an old bungalow.

It'd be great for an ultramodern residence...in fact, if I were building new construction, I'd want stainless steel everywhere, complete with a lip at the edge of the countertops so that when I was done cooking, everything could just be doused with soap and water and wiped down into the sink without making a mess or spilling anything on the floor.

But for your purposes, stick with something a bit more traditional and warm. Tile or stone.

Archived