Kitchen Remodel

No stain at all. The sealant gave it the wet look that darkened it. And, I love the imperfections, too. It let's everyone know that these floors have been around for 90 years.

i'm impressed. good to see someone move forward on projects!! you definitely have a faster pace than i do!

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
Tell me about it! I've cleaned it twice already, and the picture still shows straks. Here's what it looked like BEFORE the cleaning.

try some scrubbing bubbles and a cloth towel. OR if you find something better, mention it here because i know many of us have the same issue!

Finally got my backsplash installed! It was worth the wait, since I got it free (I now owe someone a favor)!

What do you think?

The price was right, but I'm just not "feelin" it.

I ain't mad atcha though :)

flipper

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Well, my 11 and a half month bathroom buildout is nearing completion. I went retro with the tile...took 2 months for them to special order it...but I think it was worth it. Tile guys finished yesterday, and the plumber set the toilet and sink today. I got gutsy and went with black grout. Pretty dramatic, but I think it looks cool with the subway tile.

Here's a few pics....

PC230002.jpg

PC230007.jpg

PC290002.jpg

PC290003.jpg

Just saw this thread today. Your new kitchen looks great. I know you are proud & really injoying it. Curious though, in the layout of the original kitchen there is a doorway between the stove and sink. If you dont mind, where did this lead to and how is this area being used today. You gave me the incentive to tackle my kitchen. I will keep in mind to get input from friends for the design and materials as you did.

Well, my 11 and a half month bathroom buildout is nearing completion. I went retro with the tile...took 2 months for them to special order it...but I think it was worth it. Tile guys finished yesterday, and the plumber set the toilet and sink today. I got gutsy and went with black grout. Pretty dramatic, but I think it looks cool with the subway tile.

looks great. looks pretty big as well!

Just saw this thread today. Your new kitchen looks great. I know you are proud & really injoying it. Curious though, in the layout of the original kitchen there is a doorway between the stove and sink. If you dont mind, where did this lead to and how is this area being used today. You gave me the incentive to tackle my kitchen. I will keep in mind to get input from friends for the design and materials as you did.

Thanks for the comments. That doorway led to a utility room, containing my washer and dryer, a folding table, and two floor to ceiling cabinets. The room was 13.5 feet by 8 feet, and I thought it was wasted space for the W/D and storage. Since it also had a door that led to the master bedroom, it became a perfect location for a 2nd bathroom. I moved the washer and dryer into my bedroom closet, and the utility room became the bathroom and a walkin closet that you see in the photos.

I am now trying to decide what color to paint the doors, trim, and walls. All comments and suggestions welcome.

Thanks for the comments. That doorway led to a utility room, containing my washer and dryer, a folding table, and two floor to ceiling cabinets. The room was 13.5 feet by 8 feet, and I thought it was wasted space for the W/D and storage. Since it also had a door that led to the master bedroom, it became a perfect location for a 2nd bathroom. I moved the washer and dryer into my bedroom closet, and the utility room became the bathroom and a walkin closet that you see in the photos.

I am now trying to decide what color to paint the doors, trim, and walls. All comments and suggestions welcome.

Thanks for the reply. Your vision for existing space is simply amazing. As for trim and doors in the new bathroom I'm not sure. Maybe new trim & doors stained to match your existing wood floors? Don't know, anyone else have a suggestion? You are fast becoming one of my new heros with your remodeling ideas.

I like the combo of subway and hex tiles you've used, Red. I'm planning to use hex on the floor but have reservations using in with a block and beam house but maybe they're more forgiving of movement than the larger tiles, I don't know. I also really would prefer a shower stall like yours but am sort of stuck in the pre-1910 era, mentally at least, which mostly means the clawfoot and circle curtain deal.

Your house is 1920s, right? The Roaring Twenties was when color came into vogue in bathrooms and kitchens. Yours could be sort of early 20s with the sanitary white look with colorful doors and trim. I see a two-panel door in a soft pink, or eau de nil green perhaps, one of those period colors though, definitely. Orchid was in then too. Ralph Lauren has a green like that, I forget the name though.

Ahh! Awesome. I've got a mudroom/back of the kitchen space, thinking of converting to a second bath. I like the subway tile. My bath has all chickenwire, but cheap-contractor wainscot instead of tile up the walls. Now I have another expensive idea in my head. Dammit, Red!

You should go with some color for the trim. A mid green or a coral pink. Not the saturated 50s and 60s stuff--you can get age-appropriate at S/W or Benjamin Moore. And do a full gloss rather than semi-gloss if your woodwork is in good enough shape to take it.

I like the combo of subway and hex tiles you've used, Red. I'm planning to use hex on the floor but have reservations using in with a block and beam house but maybe they're more forgiving of movement than the larger tiles, I don't know. I also really would prefer a shower stall like yours but am sort of stuck in the pre-1910 era, mentally at least, which mostly means the clawfoot and circle curtain deal.

Your house is 1920s, right? The Roaring Twenties was when color came into vogue in bathrooms and kitchens. Yours could be sort of early 20s with the sanitary white look with colorful doors and trim. I see a two-panel door in a soft pink, or eau de nil green perhaps, one of those period colors though, definitely. Orchid was in then too. Ralph Lauren has a green like that, I forget the name though.

It is 1920. Since this is my master bath, and I've always wanted a shower, this is what went in. However, the tile is my attempt to keep it pseudo period. I am thinking some pale shade of green for the trim as well, but with it already in the kitchen, I don't want to OD on green.

Now, the ORIGINAL bath, the one that all the guests will see and use, it will get the clawfoot tub and circle shower treatment. It is the last hideous room left in the house, but I am also tired of renovating, so it may have to wait a little while.

As for hex tile, the small tiles survive much better in a flexible floor than large tile. Where large tiles will crack with the flex, the hex tiles will merely crack along the grout. I highly recommend 1 inch hex or squares over a wood floor.

Redscare - Can you post your cabinet maker contact info? I am getting ready to start a bath remodel and would like to speak with him.

Thanks

Justin, his name is Ken Gulka. Number is 281-610-1867. Tell him you saw my pics on HAIF. He'll know what you're talking about.

my first suggestion would be to leave the doors/trim a neutral color and paint the walls something vintage like mauve or a minty green.

Archived