Kitchen Remodel

I got my Christmas present a few days early this year. The cabinet bases are now installed. I also finished wiring up my can lights. I'll just shut up now and let the pics speak for themselves.

PC220010.jpg

PC220007.jpg

PC220005.jpg

I am so happy I can't stand it. I am about to start cleaning up. I know, it is Friday night, but after 17 days of dust and shiplap, I am stoked! I also ordered my Jenn Air today. It will show up Thursday. The cabinet doors were delivered today. They will go in Tuesday. All that's left is paint and floors. Yippee! :P

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can see why you're happy, Red. Everything looks so right and well balanced. Congratulations on the quality cabinets, not that I had any doubts. Are you going to have any period touches like glass cabinet knobs?

All that's left is paint and floors.

ah...i see some sheetrock work in your future too unless you're talking about the work you're going to do! i can already see the finished product n my mind. i do have a question, think you'll have enough walking room between the bank of windows and your island? i'm imagining an overhanging counter with some chairs.

I haven't decided on door hardware yet, but period hardware is high on the list. The doors are shaker style, so some 1920s hardware would go well with it. I also hope to put in a period backsplash of some sort. I am waiting until everything else is done to get a feel for what will work. The sheetrock work will be left to the painter. I don't want to screw up that cabinet work, so I am having it done professionally. The rest of the rooms, I will paint myself.

The island overhang has not been cut to size yet. It will be cut in a gentle arc, and overhang about 12 inches at the center, so no one will bang a hip on the corners. Even with the overhang, there is still 42 inches from the overhang to the windows. I'll push a couple of stools underneath that won't get in the way.

Me wants to see the doors!!!

Shaker style is my favorite, but I haven't found a cost effective (read cheap) way to do them in our houses.

The cabinet boxes look great!

flipper

p.s. I can't help but picture white 3x6 subway tile in that backsplash already :)

Me wants to see the doors!!!

Shaker style is my favorite, but I haven't found a cost effective (read cheap) way to do them in our houses.

The cabinet boxes look great!

flipper

p.s. I can't help but picture white 3x6 subway tile in that backsplash already :)

You and me both! Actually, I have a sample door somewhere amidst the rubble. I'll try to post a pic. The cabinet guy has the doors made, rather than build them himself. I'll try to get a name and price, though I realize that for your purposes it may still be cost prohibitive.

I have considered the subway tile as well, perhaps with an accent stripe running through it. All suggestions are welcome. I do not profess to be an expert on interior design. In fact, virtually all of what you see in the pictures has been suggested by one friend or another. It is truly a collaborative effort, as it should be. I envision all of them lounging in the kitchen in the future, pointing out to others their contribution to the effort, while enjoying their favorite beverage. :)

You and me both! Actually, I have a sample door somewhere amidst the rubble. I'll try to post a pic. The cabinet guy has the doors made, rather than build them himself. I'll try to get a name and price, though I realize that for your purposes it may still be cost prohibitive.

I have considered the subway tile as well, perhaps with an accent stripe running through it. All suggestions are welcome. I do not profess to be an expert on interior design. In fact, virtually all of what you see in the pictures has been suggested by one friend or another. It is truly a collaborative effort, as it should be. I envision all of them lounging in the kitchen in the future, pointing out to others their contribution to the effort, while enjoying their favorite beverage. :)

I like the idea of the subway tile with an accent strip.

I think this is my favorite backsplash we've done:

IMG_1855.jpg

IMG_1856.jpg

That's botticino marble with hakatai glass mosaic.

This my wifes favorite (that's why it's in our house):

IMG_2561.jpg

That's also botticino marble, but with crema marfil mosaic.

Designing the backsplash is always fun!

flipper

So Flipper are the upper cabinets custom? or were they ordered? i like the fact that they go to the ceiling to maximize use of space.

My guess is ordered.

They were built on site out of birch. The doors are also birch plywood with pine "lip mould".

flipper

Subway tiles, shaker doors, and a farmhouse sink with the faucet mounted on the wall would be a really great period loook. Some latches like this....

cli-sbcl-pc.jpg

And some of those scalloped surface mount hinges like these....although NOT BRASS. EWWWW.

bam-1562.jpg

Subway tiles, shaker doors, and a farmhouse sink with the faucet mounted on the wall would be a really great period loook. Some latches like this....

cli-sbcl-pc.jpg

And some of those scalloped surface mount hinges like these....although NOT BRASS. EWWWW.

bam-1562.jpg

Check this out as well for great ideas. Atkins on Fannin has many of the same types:

http://www.rejuvenation.com/catalog/cabinet.html

PM me with your cabinetman.....can i be nosey and ask for an approximate cost? did he do the base ones too?

It's hard to say what I paid for the cabinets because they trimmed out the whole house. I'm guessing I could get a kitchen done for ~1500 labor and ~1000 materials (all paint grade).

I'd love to give out my trim carpenter's info but he's too busy for me too share ;)

flipper

Check this out as well for great ideas.

http://www.rejuvenation.com/catalog/cabinet.html

I've ordered several light fixtures from them. Very satisfied by their service!

It's hard to say what I paid for the cabinets because they trimmed out the whole house. I'm guessing I could get a kitchen done for ~1500 labor and ~1000 materials (all paint grade).

I'd love to give out my trim carpenter's info but he's too busy for me too share ;)

flipper

That is very reasonable. i'm sure he'll be done with YOUR work shortly.

I've ordered several light fixtures from them. Very satisfied by their service!

That is very reasonable. i'm sure he'll be done with YOUR work shortly.

He's actually too busy lately to even do my work :(

He's got a contract to do many many of those townhouses off Washington.

flipper

More progress on the kitchen cabinets.

This is from Christmas, after 2 days of cleaning up.

PC240001.jpg

Here's the bar with the upper cabinet installed.

PC270002.jpg

Yesterday, most of the cabinet doors went in.

PC270004.jpg

Today, the painter came by to give me a quote. Cabinets should be done by tomorrow, so the painter may be in next week. The granite guy should show today or tomorrow. As of today, I am 23 days into the remodel.

All this work got me fired up, so I rerouted the phone line that has been running across the floor from the dining room to the bedroom. I also mounted my Bose speakers in the ceiling 7 1/2 years after I bought the ceiling mounts. :blush: Better late than never.

My cabinet man says if you steal his idea, he's coming after you.

Ok Ok... I don't think my trim carpenter could build those on site anyway :)

PM me his info if he wants to build me some of those doors from time to time.

flipper

Ok Ok... I don't think my trim carpenter could build those on site anyway :)

PM me his info if he wants to build me some of those doors from time to time.

flipper

Just kidding. I don't think he makes the doors...just the bases, and then installs the doors and trim. I'll check on that and get you his info anyway.

Archived