Earth Quest Adventures

Boris

• Replies 744
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes. Ugh. The project is dead. The article left no doubt to this conclusion. It is so dead that Contour Entertainment recently drafted a letter of intent with the East Montgomery County Improvement District in order to forge ahead with their plans for development.

It is so dead that Contour Entertainment wants to spend money to update their market research study so it can be updated to reflect changes in the community.

It is so dead that Chris Brown of Contour stated in the new article “We are moving forward and are excited the reality of things finally progressing. Once we gain site control, we will go from there.”

It is so dead that the EMCID board members reviewed Contour's letter and contract at their June 14 meeting and approved the agreement to give Contour the design and artistic license for the park so they can move forward.

It is so dead that the company taking control of financing said in the new article "In regards to financing for EarthQuest, they are in a better economic climate than they were a year ago which is also a favorable step for the project."

Yes. I think the article made it quite clear that the project is completely dead with absolutely no chance however small that it could ever be built for all of eternity. I also think the article was clear when it said that Atlanta and Dallas get all these cool projects while Houston sits stagnant. You have to read between the lines just a little bit, but believe me the article was crystal clear. The title of the article "Developers for EarthQuest, Friendswood progress with plans" was misleading. Ugh.

• 2 weeks later...

Don Allen Holbrook LLC is suing The Tribune, Cynthia Calvert, The Houston Press, Craig Malisow, The Pahrump Valley Times and me. He has also named the John and Jane Does, who spoke out on this matter of public concern (that could well include the posters here,) as third party defendants. We should all be thanking Frank McCrady I suppose.

Soapboxmom

Don Allen Holbrook LLC is suing The Tribune, Cynthia Calvert, The Houston Press, Craig Malisow, The Pahrump Valley Times and me. He has also named the John and Jane Does, who spoke out on this matter of public concern (that could well include the posters here,) as third party defendants. We should all be thanking Frank McCrady I suppose.

Soapboxmom

Who are the Does? Do you have the names?

Thank you Frank McCrady.

http://www.ourtribun...le.php?id=13761

“The three biggest obstacles we’ve had so far are site control, option control and intellectual property,” said Brown while speaking to the board. “We’ve finally managed to handle all of these, so we’re excited to finally move forward.”

The 1500-acre EarthQuest site was sold in bankruptcy court to Friendswood Development Company in May, with a provision that the original developer can buy back 500 acres, where the theme park is proposed to be located.

Who are the Does? Do you have the names?

Holbrook has publicly stated he intends to get the IPs and information on all the posters across the net whose comments he disagrees with. We will just have to watch this case filed in Ohio and see how far it goes. You may access the docs on my site or go directly to the court site:

http://www.clerk.co....mery.oh.us/pro/

Just type in Don Allen Holbrook in the space for company name and the filed documents are available for viewing. In a nutshell Holbrook seems to believe all the journalists and posters across the net that have written about Earthquest and his involvement are part of a vast conspiracy and we are responsible for Huber Heights suing him. He seems determined to silence taxpayers discussing how their tax dollars are spent. Bizarre to say the least.

Soapboxmom

The people getting sued can thank themselves. I think it's funny that with all the past talk about litigation, reports to the attorney general, possible investigations and all that other b.s. regarding the activities of the developers of EarthQuest, that those irresponsible bloggers get to go to court and explain their internet activities to a judge. I'm sure the judge will certainly understand that Frank McCrady forced soapmom to spend HOURS and HOURS a day stalking Don Holbrook on dozens of web forums for months on end. Bizarre? I'll say.

But whatever, I'm just glad to hear that EarthQuest still has a chance to be built.

Linked is a copy of the complaint Don Allen Holbrook LLC is sending to the third party defendants. It was too big to attach. The John and Jane Does are included. This has not been posted on the court site yet, but as posters here may be included I think it should be available.

Soapboxmom

Linked is a copy of the complaintDon Allen Holbrook LLC is sending to the third party defendants. It was too big to attach. The John and Jane Does are included. This has not been posted on the court site yet, but as posters here may be included I think it should be available.

Soapboxmom

I think HAIFers are safe.

I think HAIFers are safe.

Yeah, the only person I recall slinging "unsupported accusations" around here was soapboxmom. I put that in quotes, since perhaps she has a defense to the lawsuit. But, few, if any posters on this site ever threw out any of those accusations. Additionally, this forum is never mentioned in the suit, nor are any posters mentioned.

Sounds like you're pining for sympathy. I doubt you'll get any here. But, good luck defending yourself anyway.

Yeah, it looks like they're only engaged in a planning capacity, not a development capacity. Their client would be the developer.

I think you're right. But i guess some update is better than nothing.

There is so much misinformation out there. Contour is the developer and they haven't updated their site in ages. Contour is in charge of securing the financing and as of the last meeting there is no funding yet. Contour wants to do a new market research study to have for potential investors.

The EMCID meets this Thursday. Folks should attend and ask for clarification on the status of the project. Will EMCID have any money in the new budget earmarked for Earthquest? Will Don Holbrook's contract be renewed in light of his attack on the local papers and taxpayers commenting on this project? What is being done to curtail wasteful spending in the district and more should be coming to light.

The Tribune will be there and we certainly owe that paper a debt of gratitude for stepping up and sharing the facts about this Fantasy Land project. Holbrook is not going to be able to silence those sharing the facts and their opinions.

"official" for this month, anyway.

I don't think anyone expects that the EMCID is going to spend any more money on EarthQuest. They shouldn't have to at this point. Contour is in control of the project now.

The last few articles from the Tribune have had some positive indications that Contour is very interested in getting EarthQuest built. Contour is willing to invest in a new study that will be used to find investors. They are also spending the time and the money putting a new business plan in place for the project. This is a big project for Contour, but at least they bring some actual successful theme park developing experience into the mix.

No. Poeple are not expecting this to get of the ground, but people are.

It's so ironic that the 'poeple' who advise others to let this project go are always the ones who get this thread started back up again. Just sayin'.

Maybe you should go tell Contour Entertainment to stop doing their new market research study and to bring the new organization plan they are working on to a halt, because no matter what they do, it will never get off the ground. I'm sure they would truly value some more advice from anonymous theme park developers on the internet.

I personally don't know if it will ever get off the ground, I hope it will. I think Contour having more control over the project is a positive direction. Don't agree? Sue me.

• 1 month later...

This was just posted by the Earthquest Institute Facebook page:

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to give you all my assessment of the situation with regard to EarthQuest Institute and the connection with the now reorganized EarthQuest Adventures Theme Park project.

First, Dr. Matt Gardner and myself (Don A. Holbrook) have not been formally affiliated with the project since 2010. That is because the Non-Profit lost it's financial support from EMCID, and could no longer pay us for our time spent on the project. When this occurred the former staff ceased all fundraising efforts seeking clarification on how to progress EQI, but did not get any direction from the Board of Directors. In fact, Dr. Gardner, Myself and another staff member continued to perform our contractually obligated services at the request of EQI and EMCID and we have not been paid after almost two years for our time, which was deferred under this promise of payment. Finally, the former staff resigned and have awaited our final compensation now for over two years. Therefore, while we as the former staff remain very supportive of EQI, we cannot represent them or respond to requests for more information uncompensated for our time.

At this time, the original board of directors no longer exists or is not functional. Leon Cubillas the EMCID Chair was unelected, so I believe according to the formation by-laws the new Chair Person of EQI is Connie Bloodworth of EMCID. The developer also required as a minimum board member John Marlin no longer controls the Global EarthQuest Adventures Theme Park project and it would be my understanding that now Mr. Chris Brown the new developer (Contour Entertainment) would automatically become the 2nd board member of the three required. Mr. Don Lessem the original creative idea and founder has the third seat by rule of the formation and by-laws but he has formally resigned and does not want to be responsible for EQI debts and/or mission any further. That seat will need to be filled by EMCID and Contour.

All the files related to the EQI have been turned over to the Federal Government until EMCID and the remaining board members can take corrective action to address the EQI debts and on-going concerns.

Please do not reference the former staff, who were paid to manage the Board of Directors ideas for how to progress EQI as part of the basis for why EQI is not functioning or responding to the media. This is squarely the results of the original board of directors not fulfilling their obligations to provide adequate funding for the EQI and payment of their obligations that they agreed to provide to the former staff for undertaking and carrying out their instructions.

Furthermore, EMCID and Contour have both stated to me that once the new theme park project gets funded that EQI is going to be addressed and brought forward again in connection with the for profit project as a major element of the projects vision for a sustainable message underlying the fun elements of the theme park.

We wish EQI nothing but good luck, and we believe the original message and mission is still very valid and critical. In our opinion, without the support financially of EMCID and the developer well documented and carried out the fund raising was not adequate enough to maintain the mission. It can and should be a major contributor to the theme park mission and message once that is viable. In fact, it is my understanding that the current developer and EMCID have formally planned on including EQI in their new development agreement, but the former staff has not been apprised of how our deferred compensation is going to be addressed as of this date. We have been assured by EMCID that our unpaid time will be addressed that EMCID will make sure that we are fully paid at some point. We feel we have been more than patient but would like a definitive time for who and how we are going to get paid.

We just recently were informed of yet more media requests related to EQI and at this point we feel it is most appropriate that any such information requests should be addressed to EMCID in the future. They were the organization ultimately responsible for the formation of EQI and funded the first two years of operation and EMCID has control of the development agreement with Contour with regard to the themepark, so they are the best point of informational contact on this matter.

I'd say something specific about the players involved, but don't want to be thrown in with all the litigation.

Suffice it to say, if I were a hypothetical key employee of a failed entity that owed its existence to a government entity acting as angel investors, and my entity's business plan sucked and serious allegations had been made of impropriety on my part, then I would not be making a fuss about not getting paid even more money from the investors. I would not be deferring blame to the investors at all. I wouldn't be citing hearsay from them or about them to the public or the media. I'd be making as few waves as possible. I'd try to get on with my life, probably in a different city doing something very different. I might even consider seeking a legal name change.

That's just what I would do. It's just one man's opinion. (This statement is not intended as legal advice and should be strictly construed within the limits of the hypothetical scenario that is proposed with limited applicability to complex real-world situations.)

I'd say something specific about the players involved, but don't want to be thrown in with all the litigation.

Suffice it to say, if I were a hypothetical key employee of a failed entity that owed its existence to a government entity acting as angel investors, and my entity's business plan sucked and serious allegations had been made of impropriety on my part, then I would not be making a fuss about not getting paid even more money from the investors. I would not be deferring blame to the investors at all. I wouldn't be citing hearsay from them or about them to the public or the media. I'd be making as few waves as possible. I'd try to get on with my life, probably in a different city doing something very different. I might even consider seeking a legal name change.

That's just what I would do. It's just one man's opinion. (This statement is not intended as legal advice and should be strictly construed within the limits of the hypothetical scenario that is proposed with limited applicability to complex real-world situations.)

Ouch.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

www.realscam.com/f11/don-allen-holbrook-iedc-international-economic-development-council-rogue-member-1240/index36.html#post31249

Don Holbrook's sickening attack on the John and Jane Does (taxpayers commenting on a matter of public concern - Earthquest) has ended. All of the remaining defendants in his third-party lawsuit in Ohio have been dismissed by the judge, so that case is effectively over. We taxpayers have every right to comment on Earthquest! Holbrook's bid to drag everyone into court in Ohio was beyond ridiculous. Frank McCrady best check out people he is paying hundreds of thousands of dollars to much more carefully!

Don't confuse some person's personal vendetta against Don Holbrook with the actual EarthQuest project. Maybe Holbrook's lawsuits are through but that does NOT mean EarthQuest has ended. In fact, it is totally asinine trying to link the two subjects. Holbrook is not developing EQ, Contour is. Just keep your facts straight. I know that really IS asking a lot.

Here is an EarthQuest update (as opposed to a Don 'yawn' Holbrook) update:

After months and months of ignoring their facebook page, Contour Entertainment finally posted JUST TODAY that EarthQuest is in the funding phase.

Sure, we've heard all that before, But I think it's a positive sign that Contour is at least acknowledging and answering questions on their facebook page now. I mean, we are still nowhere, but it at least proves that somebody at Contour is still pursuing the project. Hey I know it isn't much, but it is STILL some sign (however small) of life.

After YEARS of nothingness BLVD place, Regent Square, the Midtown Superblock and the HOUSTON TEXANS sprung back into action and so can EQ.

Now back to the "Soapbox Mom presents The Jumping to Conclusions" show...

Archived