METRORail University Line

ricco67

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The agents should be in jail. I don't care if they shot at a drugrunner or not. You do not shoot at someone running away from you that is unarmed. And the person shot at should be able to sue, regardless of his citizenship: he was unarmed, running away from the officers, and they shot at him. Those facts do not seem to be disputed.

The United States Constitution protects the Rights of American Citizens and all persons in this country legally. If you aren't here legally you are by definition a criminal. Unfortunately the Border Guard didn't kill the guy . . . dead people don't sue. Maybe the next Border Guard will let someone go that runs from them and they will turn out to be a terroist with truly evil intent.

Expect to see President George W. Bush issue a pardon to the Border Guard. I hope that when the Drug Runner shows up for the civil suit INS cart's his sorry, ILLEGAL butt away, and that he is treated respectfully all the way back to the border.

The United States Constitution protects the Rights of American Citizens and all persons in this country legally. If you aren't here legally you are by definition a criminal. Unfortunately the Border Guard didn't kill the guy . . . dead people don't sue. Maybe the next Border Guard will let someone go that runs from them and they will turn out to be a terroist with truly evil intent.

Expect to see President George W. Bush issue a pardon to the Border Guard. I hope that when the Drug Runner shows up for the civil suit INS cart's his sorry, ILLEGAL butt away, and that he is treated respectfully all the way back to the border.

One of the characteristics of a fascist government is the carefree use of deadly force.

btw, I doubt Bush is going to be giving anyone pardons -- given the recent turn of events, he's likely the one to be in jail by the end of the year.

But enough thread hijacking. Hopefully this and the previous comment will be removed by mods for being OT.

I've got to agree. It is really hard to blame someone for being concerned over a threat to their livelihood.

This is a sword that cuts both ways. Some businesses may have been intimidated into supporting the anti-rail measures because they feared repercussions. As the larger part of Houston, it's our duty to let them know that their business isn't confined merely to locals.

This is a sword that cuts both ways. Some businesses may have been intimidated into supporting the anti-rail measures because they feared repercussions. As the larger part of Houston, it's our duty to let them know that their business isn't confined merely to locals.

Intimidated into supporting the anti-rail measures because of a threat of boycott by Afton Oaks? That's just crazy. AO is just too damned small a customer base to matter, and everyone knows it. On top of that, AO boycotts are hard to enforce as many people just won't care enough to shop with the herd. Far more likely (if anything) in my estimation is that businesses have been intimidated into supporting the pro-rail side.

...but I don't even think that that is necessarily a big concern. They're worried about construction driving away traffic and about lost accessibility upon completion. Main Street scares retail owners, and rightfully so. Look at it.

Intimidated into supporting the anti-rail measures because of a threat of boycott by Afton Oaks? That's just crazy. AO is just too damned small a customer base to matter, and everyone knows it. On top of that, AO boycotts are hard to enforce as many people just won't care enough to shop with the herd. Far more likely (if anything) in my estimation is that businesses have been intimidated into supporting the pro-rail side.

...but I don't even think that that is necessarily a big concern. They're worried about construction driving away traffic and about lost accessibility upon completion. Main Street scares retail owners, and rightfully so. Look at it.

TheNiche speaks the truth - The businesses supporting the anti-rail measures do so to preserve their liveliehoods. It is just that simple.

TheNiche speaks the truth

Did you just acknowledge that an AO boycott would be hard to enforce or that even if it could be enforced, it wouldn't be a huge impact? I was expecting you to chime in and say something to the effect that AO solidarity will prevail.

No their businesses aren't confined to locals, but if access is limited, then fewer will go which leads to an eventual closing.

Did you just acknowledge that an AO boycott would be hard to enforce or that even if it could be enforced, it wouldn't be a huge impact? I was expecting you to chime in and say something to the effect that AO solidarity will prevail.

That there is solidarity in AO is (or should be) obvious. All that I was agreeing with was your comment regarding the business owners along Richmond and their concern about access for their patrons, suppliers, employees, etc. and the detrimental affect it would have on their liveliehood.

Judge Emmett makes some interesting comments about the future of Houston's mobility. I can't say I disagree with him on very much from what I am reading.

Emmett's vision of mobility in the area

Outer loop, commuter rails, train congestion are top priorities

By RAD SALLEE

Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

When Robert Eckels stepped down as county judge in February, he closed out 10 years as chairman of the eight-county Transportation Policy Council. The new judge, Ed Emmett, won't chair that council, but will be an important member, with as broad an expertise in transportation as anyone at the table. The former state representative worked on freight rail and maritime issues as an Interstate Commerce Commission member, headed a transportation industry group for 10 years and more recently has been a railroad consultant. Emmett spoke with Chronicle reporter Rad Sallee about the county's mobility needs and priorities.

Full article here

A lot of our rail system has been around for more than 100 years and the city has grown up around it. The Union Pacific line that comes through Memorial Park was put there years ago to be way out in the country.

If you tried to get all the freight traffic out of Memorial Park or Sugar Land, where would you take it? I'm not going to be a party to any relocation that puts even more trains and traffic into the East End.

I like him already!

When I hear politicians say they are opposed to a transportation improvement because the people most directly affected don't want it, I have a problem. The reason has to be more transportation-related than that.

Did he just call out Culberson? Slam.

• 2 months later...

So does anyone know the status of the ULine and the rest of the rail lines in Houston? Did they at least start construction?

It seems that this was a hot topic and all of a sudden just died! I'm surprised it hasn't been talked about in 2 months!

Just follow the metro WEBSITE. It is always being updated. This things take time....planning....billions of dollars. They are going to pick the perfect route before the investment. The BRT are breaking ground next month along with the Intermodal should be completed by 2012. Here is the TIMELINE of the University line. It is moving along....

So does anyone know the status of the ULine and the rest of the rail lines in Houston? Did they at least start construction?

It seems that this was a hot topic and all of a sudden just died! I'm surprised it hasn't been talked about in 2 months!

Well, there isn't much news to talk about, as soon as there is news, this topic will pick up once again. We have a number of topics that dies for awhile until something new pops up.

I'm coming to the slow conclusion that rail is dead in Houston.

While it's hard to say whether or not it's dead, we have to wait until the fat lady sings. Remember how SOMEONE kept talking about the various projects were dead and only relented after they saw (or seen pictures of) actual work being done.

Just follow the metro WEBSITE. It is always being updated. This things take time....planning....billions of dollars. They are going to pick the perfect route before the investment. The BRT are breaking ground next month along with the Intermodal should be completed by 2012. Here is the TIMELINE of the University line. It is moving along....

I subscribe to metro and I keep up with it as much as I can. One can't post about something that isn't happening.

It's not like we're ALL AftAg, right? :)

They are going to pick the perfect route before the investment. The BRT are breaking ground next month along with the Intermodal should be completed by 2012.
not sure if the intermodal is going to be breaking ground soon as proposed now. with union pacific telling METRO that their tracks are too busy for use by commuter rail, that's not a good sign, at least at this point.

Well, there isn't much news to talk about, as soon as there is news, this topic will pick up once again. We have a number of topics that dies for awhile until something new pops up.

While it's hard to say whether or not it's dead, we have to wait until the fat lady sings. Remember how SOMEONE kept talking about the various projects were dead and only relented after they saw (or seen pictures of) actual work being done.

I subscribe to metro and I keep up with it as much as I can. One can't post about something that isn't happening.

For once I agree with you ricco. Actually none of you are AftAg - there is and always will be only one of me; and I am so thankful for that as are you I am sure. As much as you and so many others on this forum might hate it, I am not going away anytime soon. As for posting something that isn't happening it hasn't stopped you or Nmainguy before, though I must admit he is far worse about that than you.

Remember how SOMEONE kept talking about the various projects were dead and only relented after they saw (or seen pictures of) actual work being done.

You mean like the Pavillions? ;)

...or irrelevant to the topic.

I drove Richmond the other day, from Downtown all the way to Hillcroft - the only railroad tracks I saw crossed Richmond, there weren't any on Richmond - so much for irrelevant - The Coalition to Stop Rail on RIchmond Lives!

• 2 weeks later...

Richmond rail had this to report in their latest newsletter -

Culberson is no longer on the Transportation Appropriations Subcommittee and hasnt been since January.

We know many RichmondRail supporters have written Rep. John Culberson to urge him to support rail on Richmond. We also know many of you were disappointed to be rebuffed by Culberson's indifferent form letter reply.

Here's the surprise: as recently as March 29, Rep. Culberson has told constituents that "I have a responsibility to the Houston region to help improve our entire transportation network as the only Texan on the Transportation Appropriations Subcommittee." But it turns out that since January 11th, Culberson is NOT on the Transportation subcommittee anymore. He's now just one minority member out of 66 on the Appropriations committee, which should severely constrain his attempts to hijack the federal transit planning process! See this press release for details.

Freshman Texas Congressman Ciro Rodriguez has replaced Culberson on the House Appropriations Transportation subcommittee. And three other Texans -- Chet Edwards, Kay Granger, and John Carter -- all serve on Appropriations, too. It can't hurt to let them all know that when Federal Transit eventually awards funding to METRO for rail on Richmond, we are counting on Appropriations to approve it, in spite of their colleague's hangups.

Guest danax
Freshman Texas Congressman Ciro Rodriguez has replaced Culberson on the House Appropriations Transportation subcommittee. And three other Texans -- Chet Edwards, Kay Granger, and John Carter -- all serve on Appropriations, too. It can't hurt to let them all know that when Federal Transit eventually awards funding to METRO for rail on Richmond, we are counting on Appropriations to approve it, in spite of their colleague's hangups.

Ciro Rodriguez's website.

This could be a very good thing for rail on Richmond, although I would think that Culberson's desires have already influenced any subcommitee members who are still members, and I wouldn't doubt that he's going to continue to try to influence the vote. I'm going to send Congressman Rodriguez my thoughts.

Richmond rail had this to report in their latest newsletter -

Culberson is no longer on the Transportation Appropriations Subcommittee and hasnt been since January.

We know many RichmondRail supporters have written Rep. John Culberson to urge him to support rail on Richmond. We also know many of you were disappointed to be rebuffed by Culberson's indifferent form letter reply.

Here's the surprise: as recently as March 29, Rep. Culberson has told constituents that "I have a responsibility to the Houston region to help improve our entire transportation network as the only Texan on the Transportation Appropriations Subcommittee." But it turns out that since January 11th, Culberson is NOT on the Transportation subcommittee anymore. He's now just one minority member out of 66 on the Appropriations committee, which should severely constrain his attempts to hijack the federal transit planning process! See this press release for details.

I believe this but where's the source?

This is good news but knowing Houston's luck, the guy replacing Culberson will block all attempts at light rail too.

I believe this but where's the source?

This is good news but knowing Houston's luck, the guy replacing Culberson will block all attempts at light rail too.

Source is RichmondRail.com's monthly newsletter I get by email. Their website hasn't been updated yet with the latest, i guess it lags behind the emails they sent out.... but give it a few days and I'm sure it will be on there.

Archived