METRORail University Line

ricco67

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My entire argument is based on property values - hmm - what about zero ridership from the AO area, traffic concerns during construction, surburban road ragers flying through the neighborhood - looks like you need to re-read some of my posts.

This is the crown jewel of the arguement right there Ag, Zero ridership, how many homeowners in AO do you suppose actually ride the nice enviromentally clean diesel burning Metro Buses that roar through every 15 minutes ?

I would venture to say about the same amount that will be riding the LRT. So, I don't think a monetary concern rests with Metro in deciding whether to build on that part of Richmond or not. So, what else you got ?

Traffic concerns ? What concerns, you can go out the back way onto Westheimer. Heck you will probably get a break from traffic from time to time as they will undoubtedly close down Richmond from time to time to get certain parts of the work done.

Think about your property value, a brand new CONCRETE road instead of pothole city, that section of Richmond is like riding on a road in Beirut.

Edited by TJones

Well, well, well. It appears that the Afton Oaks crowd does not speak for everyone on Richmond after all. A group was formed recently to counteract the misinformation it claims is being put out by the AO group and others.

http://www.richmondrail.org/blogs/

Best of all, the Richmond Rail supporters are submitting PETITIONS to METRO, Rep. Culberson, and others to show that there is widespread support for rail on Richmond.

Click on the link above and sign up!

Here's a blog about it from OffTheKuff...

http://www.offthekuff.com/mt/

Happy petition signing! :D

Speaking of the Galleria. Has Simon ever said anything about the rail line? Do they have a position? If Simon was to lobby for the line to have stop(s) near, in, or under the Galleria, I'm sure that would go a long way to keeping the line from being to far south. It would seem that a stop(s) near, in, or under the Galleria would be something they would want. A few years of construction means nothing when you think about the benefits that will be reaped for years after. Why not go down Richmond, and then begin to tunnel at the HISD site to the Galleria. That way Afton Oaks has no arguement about unsightly bridges and the line can get people where they want and need to go. I feel for the businesses along Richmond, but I'm calling bullshit on their arguements about the trees and construction. I know that if the city were to say that they were going to widen the street instead and the trees would still have to go...well, those same ones trying to 'save the trees' would be chopping them drop and induring years of road construction because it's good for the city as a whole.

I think Richmond makes much more sense then Westpark. I don't believe there is much along Westpark for people to want to stop at.

Yeah me too.

Don't forget to tell your friends, family, neighbors, co-workers.......

Look at that, friends and neighbors. A bonafide memeber of our fighting forces signed the petition! Click on the link and sign up, too.

You DO support our troops, don't you? :D

Sorry to digress off topic'

"Houstonian in Iraq", what happens when you are not in Iraq anymore, will you change your name to "Houstonian who was in Iraq"? :rolleyes:

Okay, back onto the rail.

Edited by Pumapayam

but I'm calling bullshit on their arguements about the trees and construction. I know that if the city were to say that they were going to widen the street instead and the trees would still have to go...well, those same ones trying to 'save the trees' would be chopping them drop and induring years of road construction because it's good for the city as a whole.

They are not even losing any trees West of Kirby. I wish they could dip down before the UP rail tracks. Richmond's median wides a bit before getting there, so there is enough room to go under.

Edited by Trae

Sorry to digress off topic'

"Houstonian in Iraq", what happens when you are not in Iraq anymore, will you change your name to "Houstonian who was in Iraq"? :rolleyes:

Okay, back onto the rail.

Well I'm not in Iraq anymore. I came up with the name while there and stuck with it. The way I see it I'll be back soon (for the third time)so no need to change it every other year. Maybe once the war is over I might do ;)

LOL nice one Red

ok AftonAg, let's try a hypothetical:

all METRO proposals extend the LRT on Richmond from Main to at least Shepherd. Then the options begin: either stay on Richmond past 610 or build 1 of the 5 proposed crossings to Westpark.

hypothetically: AO accepts the line will be built on Richmond as far as Shepherd, then your group has to choose which crossing to Westpark to support.

It's obvious in this scenario AO would support the Farnham (Shepherd) crossing, BUT that misses GPlaza, and GP wants the rail. SO

Will AO accept the crossing at the UP track?

Will AO oppose the Buff Spdwy/GPlaza/Timmons options b/c all will require elevation and all will negatively impact Sunset Terrace, Montclair, College Court, and the West U "chimney" in an even worse way than you have argued LRT will affect Richmond Ave. neighborhoods?

Can those Westpark neighborhoods count on Afton Oaks for support?

I will have to discuss that with some of my neighbors and get back to you. My personal OPINION is that AO would be willing to accept rail on Richmond to the Greenaway Plaza. More later.

What part of "excluding yourself, of course" do you misunderstand?

As for the rest of your post, I can only say I am amused. In the world I operate in, your response would be considered a losing argument...tantamount to sticking my fingers in my ears and yelling, "la-la-la-la-la-la-la".

Debating an issue with someone who refuses to present facts to back his argument bores me. I'll leave you to take this matter up with someone else.

I thought I made it it pretty clear that I took your comment as a slap at me. If I was in error I apologize. It could be that I am overly sensitive, but that's just me, being me. A hard habit to break to say the least.

Does anyone know if the grass tracks in the medians were an option considered by METRO?

From what I have read on the Chronicle article, he says he will TRY to preserve as many of the tree as possible

I don't suppose anyone has found the detailed maps from the meeting up on the web anywhere ?

this is one of them .pdf

Well, well, well. It appears that the Afton Oaks crowd does not speak for everyone on Richmond after all. A group was formed recently to counteract the misinformation it claims is being put out by the AO group and others.

http://www.richmondrail.org/blogs/

Best of all, the Richmond Rail supporters are submitting PETITIONS to METRO, Rep. Culberson, and others to show that there is widespread support for rail on Richmond.

Click on the link above and sign up!

Happy petition signing! :D

I signed it!

example):

[*]Increased traffic on Richmond during construction

[*]Increased traffic on other neighborhood streets during construction

[*]Increased traffic after opening

[*]Reduction in lanes along Richmond

[*]Decreased property values during construction or after opening

[*]Widening the road and taking away part of my lawn

[*]Cutting down trees in the median

[*]Decreased car access into and out of the neighborhood (restricted left turns)

[*]General aesthetics of Richmond after completion

[*]"We voted for Westpark"

The last one was explained so MANY times I am sick of hearing it, and I am HAPPY they are using the term University line. The never mentioned SPECIFICALLY that westpark "the street" was the route.

I thought I made it it pretty clear that I took your comment as a slap at me. If I was in error I apologize. It could be that I am overly sensitive, but that's just me, being me. A hard habit to break to say the least.

Coming from a fellow Aggie (Class of '02 WHOOP!) you should not be so sensitve, that is what the sissy's at TU (aka UT) act like.

No sweat. Upon rereading the post, it could easily be taken the way you took it. I slept through English 101 at A&M.

lol, its AftonAg against everyone here at HAIF

It sure feels that way on this keyboard moose. Cut down a few trees huh - perhaps you remenber the bonfire collapse at A&M. The blogs were absolutely filled at that time with comments about the Aggies cutting down all those trees and how horrible that was. Pretty much the same left leaning liberal crowd on this blog. Those trees were cut as a service to property owners that WANTED the trees thinned out and removed, the trees Metro will destroy are not diseased, they are quite healthy. "The Owner Built Home", and "Other Homes and Garbage" both state that a tree is worth one ton of air conditioning. That does not include the visual aesthetics they provide, sound atteuation, etc. I know that seems like a digression but I believe it is relevant.

Holy crap I cited a source - quick run for the hills!

i've submitted my signature :)

i'm supporting rail on Richmond way up here from Colorado!

I hope the best for Houston's future!

Edited by C2H

Cut down a few trees huh - perhaps you remenber the bonfire collapse at A&M. The blogs were absolutely filled at that time with comments about the Aggies cutting down all those trees and how horrible that was. Pretty much the same left leaning liberal crowd on this blog. Those trees were cut as a service to property owners that WANTED the trees thinned out and removed, the trees Metro will destroy are not diseased, they are quite healthy.

You are getting off topic, not everyone is against you, I support your cause, to a point, but you have to think of it this way, what is more important, 1000 peoples opinionsin a neighborhood or 1 million peoples opinions in a city. Easy answer. :blush:

After the contruction you won't notice the difference, car, bus, train, lightrail. . .face it, it is progress and Houston is going somewhere.

On a side note, what about all the useless carbon dioxide and pollution produced when the Bonfire is burning, that is a threat to global warming! :wacko:

From what I have read on the Chronicle article, he says he will TRY to preserve as many of the tree as possible

this is one of them .pdf

I signed it!

The last one was explained so MANY times I am sick of hearing it, and I am HAPPY they are using the term University line. The never mentioned SPECIFICALLY that westpark "the street" was the route.

Coming from a fellow Aggie (Class of '02 WHOOP!) you should not be so sensitve, that is what the sissy's at TU (aka UT) act like.

Ok Class of 02. First and foremost let me say how much I appreciate your service to this country. It was widely assumed when I made my first post that I am an Aggie because of the Ag on the end of my tagline. I have never said I wasn't or confirmed that I am. I have a child at each of those schools - and one that will enter an Ivy League school this fall.

"It's just another Corps trip boys,

We'll march in behind the band."

I love everything about A&M, all of the tradition, the conservative attitudes, the code, and the moral principles. Did I ever attend A&M? . . . . to be continued

You are getting off topic, not everyone is against you, I support your cause, to a point, but you have to think of it this way, what is more important, 1000 peoples opinionsin a neighborhood or 1 million peoples opinions in a city. Easy answer. :blush:

After the contruction you won't notice the difference, car, bus, train, lightrail. . .face it, it is progress and Houston is going somewhere.

On a side note, what about all the useless carbon dioxide and pollution produced when the Bonfire is burning, that is a threat to global warming! :wacko:

to the side note - there is no doubt that our climate is warming - is it caused by man or just a normal climate change - that is the real question.

Here you go AftonAg, just look at how BEAUTIFUL this looks.

You have to love this! (it depicts the Richmond at Newcastle intersection area)

metro_rendering_newcastle.jpg

Look at this picture very very closely ! Are those FOR SALE signs in all the yards in this rendering, that is hilarious ! :lol::lol:

Look at this picture very very closely ! Are those FOR SALE signs in all the yards in this rendering, that is hilarious ! :lol::lol:

Okay douchebag :rolleyes: , those are the "protest signs" you know that ugly "We voted for !@%$#" and "A train called disaster. . ." ^_^

They simply took a real photo, added a paint brush effect and edited it.

Here is the other photo at Montrose.

metro_rendering_montrose.jpg

Edited by Pumapayam

Okay douchebag :rolleyes: , those are the "protest signs" you know that ugly "We voted for !@%$#" and "A train called disaster. . ." ^_^

They simply took a real photo, added a paint brush effect and edited it.

Here is the other photo at Montrose.

metro_rendering_montrose.jpg

Loosen up your skirt a little bit there Nancy. You know it was a joke, act like it ! :lol:

Edited by TJones

i've submitted my signature :)

i'm supporting rail on Richmond way up here from Colorado! I had to put in my grandmama adress so it looked like i live here.

I hope the best for Houston's future!

Thanks for that post C2H. I will be sending that to our elected officials - fraud on the petition - how nice! I f there is one fradulent signature their could be thousands. . . . I will make certain that we get an impartial group to go through the petion - Maybe the vote counters from Florida?

Loosen up your skirt a little bit there Nancy. You know it was a joke, act like it ! :lol:

It's Olivia to you buster!

So AftonAg, what do you think, how pimp would that look to be able to walk out the front door and catch a ride, that is such an AWESOME selling point, and you get to keep all your lanes and trees

The lanes will be skinnier, so both big trucks will be discourage to drive on it AND people will drive slower!

Thanks for that post C2H. I will be sending that to our elected officials - fraud on the petition - how nice! I f there is one fradulent signature their could be thousands. . . . I will make certain that we get an impartial group to go through the petion - Maybe the vote counters from Florida?

Since it is electronic, you will need help from OHIO on this one.

Ag could verify this, but actually, I think they are anti-rail signs, which frankly, is equally hilarious for a METRO rendering.

Definitely the anti-rail signs - shows METRO's (Manical Egos Touting Rail Options) arrogance don't you think. Kind of rubbing it in our face. On the other hand it is pretty damn funny.

Since when did tattle telling come back in style, "Hey, 1996 called and Linda Tripp wants her claim to fame back!"

Come on, he has family there, this is not an election ballot nincumpoop! :lol::blink:^_^