Proposed Astrodome Hotel

Subdude

Forgetting about the design elements, the Gaylord will work. I spent 20 years in the Hotel business in Dallas and opposed this project at first....too many rooms..but the Gaylord Dallas is it's own destination, and has created its own market.

But getting back to the design elements, yes all that Texana decor is a little cheesy. The good thing is that the resort is on Lake Grapevine which is a really nice lake.

When I think of Houston, I think of cutting edge modern architecture... maybe that could be the "theme" of Houston's Gaylord.

Those days for Houston are gone. The cheapest and most conservative design possible should now be Houston's theme.

Hell nah :lol:

The Dome was built with the theme of being a futuristic, ahead-of-it's-time facility. It the dome does go through as a hotel, it needs to have a ahead-of-it's-time feel to it. Do something that's never been done before. Think of a Las Vegas-Caesar's Palace inside the dome, not the Gaylord-past Texas thing. That's already been done in Dallas. I say try something you can't find anywhere in the state.

Hell nah :lol:

The Dome was built with the theme of being a futuristic, ahead-of-it's-time facility. It the dome does go through as a hotel, it needs to have a ahead-of-it's-time feel to it. Do something that's never been done before. Think of a Las Vegas-Caesar's Palace inside the dome, not the Gaylord-past Texas thing. That's already been done in Dallas. I say try something you can't find anywhere in the state.

Uh, ok. Trash the regional theme for a foreign copy of an even more foreign theme that is also from a time long past? How about we just be creative and allow for something completely new and unique?

Edited by TheNiche

Uh, ok. Trash the regional theme for a foreign copy of an even more foreign theme that is also from a time long past? How about we just be creative and allow for something completely new and unique?

I agree. I personally prefer something 100% unique. What I'm saying is that I don't understand why we would copy a design already in Dallas. I'm saying that if they're compelled to copy something, might as well be something from out-of-state.

But I agree, I wanna see something at the Dome you can't find anywhere else.

I agree. I personally prefer something 100% unique. What I'm saying is that I don't understand why we would copy a design already in Dallas. I'm saying that if they're compelled to copy something, might as well be something from out-of-state.

But I agree, I wanna see something at the Dome you can't find anywhere else.

I agree. It's funny how some of our citizens would lable mass transit as "trying to be like someone else", and "trying to be something we are not", but would build a hotel in the Dome with an exact replica of themes as a MAJOR hotel in our sister city to the north. We scoff at creating a SINGLE intersection in this gigantic city of ours that is pedestrian friendly complete with Giant Monitors and al fresco resturants because "we are not New York and don't want to be", though other cities are building similar styled developments (including Dallas), but we would outline one of our downtown office towers in neon green like our neighbor to the north.

If the Dome is to become a giant hotel, it should be something that one cannot find anywhere else, PARTICULARLY in another major Texas city. If Houston is to "just be itself", like so many here like to suggest, this Dome project should be unique to Houston and Houston only.

Irving has its hands full also about what to do with Texas Stadium.I think copying what ever Houston does with the Astrodome is what they probably will do,cuz' what Houston has Dallas will have to have.

That doesn't make sense. We have Reliant Stadium, Reliant Center, and a few other convention-worthy buildings in the same parking lot as the Astrodome. What is directly surrounding Texas Stadium, and why would people be occupying the hotel if there's no reason to stay there other than to stay there?

Don't get me wrong; Texas Stadium is a landmark. But why would people feel compelled to spend a weekend in Irving instead of Arlington or Dallas after the Arlington Cowboys, um, Dallas Cowboys move to their new home?

That doesn't make sense. We have Reliant Stadium, Reliant Center, and a few other convention-worthy buildings in the same parking lot as the Astrodome. What is directly surrounding Texas Stadium, and why would people be occupying the hotel if there's no reason to stay there other than to stay there?

Don't get me wrong; Texas Stadium is a landmark. But why would people feel compelled to spend a weekend in Irving instead of Arlington or Dallas after the Arlington Cowboys, um, Dallas Cowboys move to their new home?

I wonder the same thangs.......youre right nothing else is around there,so I think the Astrodome is better off with what ever is done with it.because it looks like its gonna be "Doomsday" for our beloved Texas Stadium.

I wonder the same thangs.......youre right nothing else is around there,so I think the Astrodome is better off with what ever is done with it.because it looks like its gonna be "Doomsday" for our beloved Texas Stadium.

Sad story. When teams are proposing new stadiums, I never hear about what they plan to do with the old one, even though it cost so much money from taxpayers to build, and the team probably footed at least half the bill. I don't expect a proposal, but if a team wants to move, why do reporters not ask the question to owners what they want to become of their current home after the new facility is built?

Astrodome's shelter days are over, county says

Commissioners Court unanimously gave the go-ahead to a private firm's plan to spend $450 million reinventing the mostly dormant, county-owned Astrodome into a convention hotel.

The hotel is planned as a four-star facility with at least 1,000 rooms, a 2,100-space garage built around two-thirds of the Dome's exterior and restaurants, nightclubs and retail stores.

The entrepreneurs behind the project envision the facility being a destination attraction, featuring winding waterways and gondola rides.

http://chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4133932.html

Astrodome's shelter days are over, county says

Commissioners Court unanimously gave the go-ahead to a private firm's plan to spend $450 million reinventing the mostly dormant, county-owned Astrodome into a convention hotel.

The hotel is planned as a four-star facility with at least 1,000 rooms, a 2,100-space garage built around two-thirds of the Dome's exterior and restaurants, nightclubs and retail stores.

The entrepreneurs behind the project envision the facility being a destination attraction, featuring winding waterways and gondola rides.

http://chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4133932.html

They must've been listening to us! They're considering alternative themes to the "best of Texas" proposal.

I suggeted in another thread in the Stadium Forum, that something should be done to make Reliant Park- a park.

Namely, the east parking lot - Fannin St. side- between Reliant Center Dr. and Holly Hall should be developed much like the new Downtown Park- underground parking, park above with amenities- especially a plaza leading from the MetroRail stop into the park. If there are to be winding water waters ways and gondolas- in the Dome redevelopment- why not let them venture outside into a park?

I envision the park being expanded south from the Holly Hall entrance to Naomi St, and eventually surrounding the entire complex.

( If only someone had kept the old Astro-needle from Astroworld, it could have become one of the focal points of my "dream scenerio" Reliant Park- park)

Gondolas on waterways, huh?

Why not build a faux Venice? At least that would be something you don't see around here everyday.

The owner of the San Marcos Outlet Mall built a gondola in their parking lot.

I still don't like their plans, either. It's still unoriginal. They're going to spend a big chunk of money, but they're still not thinking big. If the developer is listening, GIVE US SOMETHING UNIQUE! Don't just capture market share; CREATE IT!

Edited by TheNiche

Hell, why not go for five?!

I think in the "5 Star Hotel" common traits hand book... (Page 35b, 2nd paragraph) It states that under no circumstances that any converted sports stadium/facilty is in no way shape or form the right place for rennovation into a luxurious hotel.

Ok, I just made that up. But seriously.

COST.

Hell, $450 million for a four-star facility? I'm sure there's a five-star hotel out there that cost less than $100 million to build :)

I know it's a huge facility, but wouldn't being one of the only few five-star hotels in Texas be a selling point in itself? And they can't turn it into a five-star with $450 million? What exactly would they need persay to Dance With the Five-Stars?