Houston Fire Station 8 At 1919 Louisiana St.

ricco67

what type of support staff are you referring to?

I don't know, use your imagination:

accounting, fire chief, assist fire chief's, procurement. You of all people should know that a fire department isn't solely dependent on just the firefighters themselves.

I mean, is NASA just comprised of Astronauts and people in mission control? No.

I don't know, use your imagination:

accounting, fire chief, assist fire chief's, procurement. You of all people should know that a fire department isn't solely dependent on just the firefighters themselves.

i understand, but why would you want accountants, quartermasters, etc at individual fire stations? they need to be at a centralized location which would result in cost savings. the stations are for fire fighters.

But why not also put in recruiters or HR people? I agree that centralization would be cost effective, but I'm sure there is also additional office space that's needed as the Department grows.

I knew someone who worked at the Dart St. Location and she would have killed get away from that street.

Psst! That one's blond brick.

Whether it's a natural blond, I cannot say.

I know that, but it is still brick, making his "atrocious" comment a head scratcher. I am still trying to figure out what is in this area of downtown that makes a red brick firehouse "atrocious". Brick buildings, a nondescript federal building and half a dozen parking lots....the new firehouse certainly doesn't make it look any worse. But hey, hyperbole is in these days, so let's go with it.

What's around the Perry Homes red brick firehouse that makes it ridiculously out of place? Oh I don't know, the new shinny Metro Building, or the Catholic Co-Cathedral. You know, buildings designed by real architects. Its like whoever designed it never even went to the site to check out its surroundings. Check out the pictures by musicman, those fake pediments are hilariously out of scale, as is that tower.

Ricco is right, it does seems like a waste of space. From a distance it looks more like another shopping mall strip along Westheimer. Then there's homeless are ever so near. Not sure if they will be bothering the firemen. Probably, I know Sacred Heart just a few blocks over has living hell with them. Another topic. Peace! :D but yes, this new facility could have been made better than this.

The design doesn't knock me off my feet, but this is a fire station so functionality is and should be the only important consideration. I doubt the funds available to the HFD would be better spent on hiring a world renowned architect make a ground breaking design.

In my opinion, the building is conventional and administrative, conservative and functional. I give it a solid, "Okay."

From a distance it looks more like another shopping mall strip along Westheimer.

That's exactly what it reminds me of - the shopping center on Westheimer and Shepheard with the bubble tea place and the Randalls.

What's around the Perry Homes red brick firehouse that makes it ridiculously out of place? Oh I don't know, the new shinny Metro Building, or the Catholic Co-Cathedral. You know, buildings designed by real architects. Its like whoever designed it never even went to the site to check out its surroundings. Check out the pictures by musicman, those fake pediments are hilariously out of scale, as is that tower.

You're forgetting that the government works by lowest bidder. For everyone of us booing this bland design, there would be two more if the city spent unnecessary millions just to design something architecturally "significant".

But hey, I agree with you. It looks like another crappy Westheimer strip-center.

Ya think that might be a little, um...stupid...when it comes to emergency response services? Centralization works pretty well with most government offices (although even then, you don't want them all stacked one on top of the other), but of all departments, HFD is probably the best one to keep totally decentralized and just a little bit out of the core of the CBD.
I think this is what Musicman's post was saying. You just misunderstood. Edited by Jeebus

• 2 weeks later...
That's not strictly true. It could also be a Jiffy Lube.

Off topic, but the old Holiday Inn is sure an eyesore.

The new station looks ok from above ground (on Pierce elevated). Your right, that old hotel thing needs to what?... All together gang! ...Crater Houston!

Ok, I tried to defend it, but that picture seems to be almost an exaggeration. I don't remember the building being that bright, but when juxtaposed to the surround offices it really stands out. Is that a Technicolor photo? CVS does immediately come to mind.

I drove by it again today and I was struck by how far it's set back from the street. What is the point of having a huge parking lot in front of the fire station? It's not going to be a fire station plus CVS, is it? (j/k).

I drove by it again today and I was struck by how far it's set back from the street. What is the point of having a huge parking lot in front of the fire station? It's not going to be a fire station plus CVS, is it? (j/k).

the firefighters need a secure place to park their cars. you'd be surprised at the crime that happens at a station when they are out on a run.