Camden Midtown: Multifamily At 2303 Louisiana St.

UrbaNerd

haven't seen the fence, but I wouldn't doubt if it was simply because they are tired of people from Escobar and Whisky Creek parking there (and getting towed off).

I was half expecting you to announce that it was dead.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

haven't seen the fence, but I wouldn't doubt if it was simply because they are tired of people from Escobar and Whisky Creek parking there (and getting towed off).

I was half expecting you to announce that it was dead.

Drove by the super block on light rail on friday and it looks like they fenced off a part of the block but not quite the whole thing. If they are going to do anything, they better hurry--the 'Coming Soon' signs are so old and faded you can barely read them any more.

Drove by the super block on light rail on friday and it looks like they fenced off a part of the block but not quite the whole thing. If they are going to do anything, they better hurry--the 'Coming Soon' signs are so old and faded you can barely read them any more.

You have power of the train? :rolleyes:

Let's think about this, seriously. It's been so long since there was any type of news at all about the 'superblock' (and I use that term loosely)-why now? A chain link fence? REALLY? I'm enthused-I don't know about y'all.

It's almost criminal that the acerage hasn't been utilized. But, face it, it's not gonna' happen. Let's look for a downward trend in "mixed use" development in Houston after the current crop comes to fruition.

Economy (worldwide) is gettin' ugly. Your most recent edition of The Economist should be consulted for more dystopic fodder....

P.S. Turnberry=Orion (+ $$$$). Naagonnahappen....

they are putting up a chain fence around the super block today.

:o

dont know whats going on nor have i heard anything.

maybe the city made them do it..

maybe they are finally moving forward..

Construction should start at some point in the third quarter (July/Aug/Sept). It'll be a six- to eight-story midrise, the ground floor will likely have retail space or artists' studios.

Construction should start at some point in the third quarter (July/Aug/Sept). It'll be a six- to eight-story midrise, the ground floor will likely have retail space or artists' studios.

Do you have any idea of the number of residential units and/or the amount of square footage dedicated to ground floor retail? I'm going to assume that it won't stray too far from the original design, if this does come to fruition.

I did notice that the Ziegler Cooper site has been updated recently with renderings of this project. I was skeptical of course, but I guess that was a positive omen regarding this project indeed.

http://www.zieglercooper.com/projects.asp?...41&projid=8

proj238.jpg

proj241.jpg

Now, is this more to your liking, Niche? ;) It's not too over festooned with design elements, and the only ones present seem to be simple and structural (mullions, etc). The facade material also seems to follow the rule of "structural integrity" rather than for excessively ornamental purposes.

Edited by UrbaNerd

Let's think about this, seriously. It's been so long since there was any type of news at all about the 'superblock' (and I use that term loosely)-why now? A chain link fence? REALLY? I'm enthused-I don't know about y'all.

It's almost criminal that the acerage hasn't been utilized. But, face it, it's not gonna' happen. Let's look for a downward trend in "mixed use" development in Houston after the current crop comes to fruition.

Economy (worldwide) is gettin' ugly. Your most recent edition of The Economist should be consulted for more dystopic fodder....

P.S. Turnberry=Orion (+ $$). Naagonnahappen....

cant vouch for the rest of your post (which is just specualtion anyways... and which niche just refuted :wacko: ), but i've been told the exact same thing regarding the turnberry - off the table. and for some reason that doesn't bother me one bit... it was hardly inspiring, extraordinarily expensive, and was not creating the amount of buzz necessary to move units.

but this camden project - if niche is correct (and i'm not doubting it at all) - is a pretty exciting development for midtown.

I just remembered, that for the past couple of weeks, I have noticed a couple of those "construction" saw horses blocking off Tuam between Milam and Travis.

Kinda' makes me wonder if this is related to this or that OTHER project that's supposed to happening on that block particular block.

Camden always stated this would begin once their 4th Ward project opened. The timing Niche mentioned seems likely. This will be HUGE for Midtown. It will connect North-South and East-West chasms.

As for the Turnberry, no real surprise there. Seems as if someone in Miami needed to talk to someone in Houston about their location. Basic units starting at $1 million South of Westheimer isn't going to happen. Location is everything at those price points and despite their "Galleria" address, every local Houstonian knows that's the back door to the Mall.

I live in the area, and I use the McGowen station every day to get to work. Here's hoping (again) it finally gets off the ground. Anything is better than the superblock.

They should also move the postal office on the nearby Crawford/McGowen superblock. Totally inefficient use of land -- mostly surface parking, and even partially unpaved, empty grass lot.

I live in the area, and I use the McGowen station every day to get to work. Here's hoping (again) it finally gets off the ground. Anything is better than the superblock.

They should also move the postal office on the nearby Crawford/McGowen superblock. Totally inefficient use of land -- mostly surface parking, and even partially unpaved, empty grass lot.

i agree about the moving the Post Office. the land it sits on is pretty valuable. the government could use the money.

I did notice that the Ziegler Cooper site has been updated recently with renderings of this project. I was skeptical of course, but I guess that was a positive omen regarding this project indeed.

Now, is this more to your liking, Niche? ;) It's not too over festooned with design elements, and the only ones present seem to be simple and structural (mullions, etc). The facade material also seems to follow the rule of "structural integrity" rather than for excessively ornamental purposes.

Brick facade is a pretty conservative approach, typical of Camden. I'm not a big fan because brick is relatively more expensive but has no discernable advantage over other materials. But I'm not complaining, either. It definitely seems like an improvement over Camden City Centre.

What's interesting to me is the 850-square-foot average unit size! Very interesting.

At 850 sq-ft, they are obviously targeting the much needed "realistic and affordable" range that places like Midtown Square and the Ventana do not. This is going to be great to bring in some foot traffic to that area. I like the idea of artist live-work spaces.

I've been wanting them to turn the grassy section into a dog park. They already have the high fence around 3 sides. Just add some gates and the 4th wall of fence and its a dog park!

http://www.zieglercooper.com/projects.asp?...41&projid=8

proj238.jpg

proj241.jpg

I am in NYC right now and the rendering actually kinda reminds me of some of the newer residential buildings I see around here in the Hell's Kitchen neighberhood. This will be awesome for midtown, especially with other projects happening along the red line.

• 1 month later...
When I drove past today, there were men working inside the fence. Looks like they are preparing to do something, although I thought Camden owned the whole superblock?

I also saw men posting a sign for the development on the Travis side of the block this morning on the way to work (I believe there is already one on the other side). It's possible that they were just moving it, I'm not sure. This was on the land outside of the fence.

I also saw men posting a sign for the development on the Travis side of the block this morning on the way to work (I believe there is already one on the other side). It's possible that they were just moving it, I'm not sure. This was on the land outside of the fence.

I think they just moved the sign to be inside of the fence they put up on half of the super block. Although, I don't understand because the sign along Main is still outside of the fence.

A big part of me thinks that they are putting up the trailer and will use the block for parking once they break ground across the street for Camden Travis.

• 2 weeks later...

Now I understand where those back hoes and such go in the morning. They store them on the site of the future Mix and then they head over to the apartment construction sites in the morning.