Camden Midtown: Multifamily At 2303 Louisiana St.

UrbaNerd

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is probably the last great Houston project that has yet to off the ground. Now that the Pavilions and Finger building are actually starting construction, I wonder if it will put a fire under Camden to put the pieces together and get this project moving. I'll keep my fingers crossed. I still feel like I'm dreaming with the HP and Finger construction actually moving forward. Exciting times!!!

If it's another Camden jumbo-box it'll be a sad state of affairs.

I concur. i thought part of this parcel was HFD museum related? i remember seeing a sign for the museum at the corner of main/mcgowen when riding the rail or driving by.

Edited by musicman

They need to make it a little village like near the Post.

If it's another Camden jumbo-box it'll be a sad state of affairs.

Will it be like the Camden around Greenway Plaza; that one should have had ground level retail for all those church go-ers, but they missed out on that.

The Camden Super Block will probably be like the Camden Tuscany in Little Italy San Diego. One of their few mixed use projects.

Camden Tuscany:

aa7bq3.th.jpg

Neighborhood shots:

26165609ed5.th.jpgaalb7.th.jpgaa2un3.th.jpgaa3bb7.th.jpgaa4zx5.th.jpgaa5ld0.th.jpgaa6wh7.th.jpgaa8gl8.th.jpgaa9ku5.th.jpg

While we are talking about this do you all think this is really still going to happen or did someone just notice the sign?

Edited by WesternGulf

I just noticed the signs. They could have been there all along except they weren't faded so I thought they were new.

This block should have been the definitive Houston Park. Everytime I drive by, I imagine this block lined with highrise/midrise residential and mixed use buildings. It had the potential to create cohesive neighborhood stretching from the southern edge of Downtown through midtown and then following the metro line all the way to Hermann Park. Very, very sad.

Edited by jdbaker

Looks like Camden's superblock project is still alive after all.

From the Chronicle:

And another builder could soon start developing a large site in Midtown long referred to as the superblock. This parcel, uninterrupted by cross streets, is bordered by Main, McGowen, Travis and Anita. Apartment giant Camden Property Trust has owned the land for years and is in the process of acquiring a shopping center on Travis to expand the site, said Ric Campo, the company's chairman and CEO.

Link to Sarnoff column

Looks like Camden's superblock project is still alive after all.

From the Chronicle:

Link to Sarnoff column

Excellent. I cant wait to see the changes that are coming for downtown/midtown. Nothing against the market square area, but Main street in the historic district had started to get old, and bringing people from out of town and repeating the same club circuit for them I'm sure was getting boring. It will be nice to have a larger part of the city that is accesible by light rail, to show off our city a little. I'm kinda looking forward to see what the Wheeler station will turn into once the University line is integrated with the Red Line. I remember reading somewhere that Metro had purchased that triangular piece of property there, and that they had plans for a mixed-retail-LRT Station kinda of development. Sweet.

That's it.

Then I'm confused. The original post to this thread (quote by the HBJ) states... "Camden will likely break ground in mid- to late 2005 on the superblock project in Midtown. The mixed-use development is in position to move forward after Camden recently purchased the last two acres it needed of the five-acre site. The Midtown Redevelopment Authority and Camden each own part of the site, which is bounded by Main, Anita, McGowen and Travis".

The link posted from yesterday's chronicle states this complex will be built on Washington.

Edited by Gary

There's a passing comment on the Superblock site in that Washington Avenue article talking about Camden's continued desire to develop their project on said site. That's what Subdude was referencing.

Sorry guys, I missed it. Guess it would help to read the full article. :wacko:

Unless they've replaced the sign, there was one that had been there since mid/late-2004. It was getting pretty faded. I haven't been by there recently but will check it out when I'm Downtown this weekend. If it's a new sign, maybe there's hope for this project happening sometime in our lifetimes. If it's the same old faded one that's been there for a few years now, don't get your hopes up of dirt flying anytime soon.

• 2 weeks later...

What about the Hoa Binh shopping center right across the street from the "Superblock"? I used to get the best Vietnamese Po-Boys in a small shop there and now the entire building has closed down. Does anyone know what the plans are for that space?

The exisiting infrastructure is interesting, with interior corridors and spaces for 10+ tenants. It may not need to be torn down. Either way, this lot, in conjunction with the Superblock, have the potential to dramatically alter that area.

It would be great to see Camden follow through with the Super Block, and hopefully it would be a catalyst for development between San Jacinto and Travis, but either way, this section of Midtown serves as a grave reminder of all the work that still needs to be done in filling this section of town out.

The far east and far west ends have historically gotten all the attention, but the central third remains scattered, gutted and blighted, for the most part. Still not the worst area in the world overall but far below the standards that we all have set.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...