Dollar Tree At 1000 Elgin St.

UrbaNerd

4 hours ago, hindesky said:

Now closed but the parking lot is more than half full of cars. I wonder if they are workers removing the remaining stuff? Doors look locked and security door is down so I not sure why all the cars are parked here.

3cWn7rk.jpg

HZAJ4bZ.jpg

The lot has always been surprisingly full even when there was only a couple employees and minimal customers. Maybe a neighboring property has a park share agreement. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, phillip_white said:

The lot has always been surprisingly full even when there was only a couple employees and minimal customers. Maybe a neighboring property has a park share agreement. 

Yeah that is what I was thinking. Two Headed Dog bar has zero parking and Interfaith Ministries is across the street.

On 7/22/2022 at 7:03 PM, phillip_white said:

The lot has always been surprisingly full even when there was only a couple employees and minimal customers.

According to my dental hygienist (whose office is close by), an employee told her that the store was closing because street people drinking and panhandling on the property were  chasing away customers. 
Considering the doors were posted with a number of signs forbidding alcohol consumption and loitering, this seem plausible. 

On 7/24/2022 at 1:02 AM, dbigtex56 said:

According to my dental hygienist (whose office is close by), an employee told her that the store was closing because street people drinking and panhandling on the property were  chasing away customers. 
Considering the doors were posted with a number of signs forbidding alcohol consumption and loitering, this seem plausible. 

Sounds like just a supposition from a middle manager to an employee to me.  CVS and Walgreens are both magnets for vagrants, and addicts.  That's nothing new.  It happens with nearly every CVS and nearly Walgreens in every city in the nation.

If either of these chains was actually interested in reducing the number of vagrants in their parking lots, they'd stop selling tobacco products, alcohol, and lottery tickets.  Though, to its credit, I believe I read recently that CVS is dropping tobacco sales — but only in certain states.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, editor said:

Sounds like just a supposition from a middle manager to an employee to me.  CVS and Walgreens are both magnets for vagrants, and addicts.  That's nothing new.  It happens with nearly every CVS and nearly Walgreens in every city in the nation.

If either of these chains was actually interested in reducing the number of vagrants in their parking lots, they'd stop selling tobacco products, alcohol, and lottery tickets.  Though, to its credit, I believe I read recently that CVS is dropping tobacco sales — but only in certain states.

Per CVS's website:  [In 2014,] we made the bold decision to eliminate tobacco products from all of our CVS Pharmacy stores nationwide,

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/25/2022 at 10:36 AM, editor said:

That's absolutely not true,  most pharmacies don't have the amount of vagrants one in midtown had. It's sad if you think young employees alone should have to put up with this just because they work at a CVS.  

• Like 2

19 hours ago, iah77 said:

That's absolutely not true,  most pharmacies don't have the amount of vagrants one in midtown had. It's sad if you think young employees alone should have to put up with this just because they work at a CVS.  

Yeah, that was a pretty ridiculous generalization.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/27/2022 at 11:23 AM, Houston19514 said:

Yeah, that was a pretty ridiculous generalization.

More observation than generalization.  If it's not like that where you live, that's great news.  But I've lived in a building with a CVS on the ground floor, and a Walgreens across the street.  Vagrant magnets, both of them.  Ever since then, whenever I pass a drug store I keep an eye out to see if the trend continues, and it has.

Perhaps I just don't go to nice enough neighborhoods.

41 minutes ago, editor said:

More observation than generalization.  If it's not like that where you live, that's great news.  But I've lived in a building with a CVS on the ground floor, and a Walgreens across the street.  Vagrant magnets, both of them.  Ever since then, whenever I pass a drug store I keep an eye out to see if the trend continues, and it has.

Perhaps I just don't go to nice enough neighborhoods.

Nah man.  It’s Midtown.  Even the Whole Foods on Elgin and Smith gets them.

Sad the circumstances that this CVS closed but maybe we can get better land use off this lot that’s on the Red Line.  I remember when this CVS opened and thought how it was strange that the Drive thru faced the rail line.

Edited by 5thGen
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, 5thGen said:

Nah man.  It’s Midtown.  Even the Whole Foods on Elgin and Smith gets them.

Sad the circumstances that this CVS closed but maybe we can get better land use off this lot that’s on the Red Line.  I remember when this CVS opened and thought how it was strange that the Drive thru faced the rail line.

I honestly think that's what we're seeing. I'm excited to see what takes it's place

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to CVS At 1000 Elgin St.
  • 6 months later...
11 hours ago, Michael Lewis said:

Per CVS local employee, to secure the building from homeless and vagrant activity.  When I asked about future plans for the site, no details or news was shared.

Riding by on the train, I'm always surprised how un-vandalized and litter-free this property is. 

• 4 months later...

Although it is unfortunate the lot is not being redeveloped into a tower or apartment block, at least the property did not remain vacant for long. With all the new affordable housing going up in Midtown, it might actually be needed in the area. Most of these dollar stores do have a decent sized food/grocery section. Also, important to note, when looking at Google Maps, there is a dollar tree at W Gray and Dunlavy. If Dollar Tree is able to be in that part of Montrose without any problems, then this location might not seem too out of the ordinary. Again, totally agree that the lot couldve been used for a tower or something better, but just trying to look on the brighter side here. Wouldve much rather have a multi-story building with Dollar Tree being ground floor retail. 

On 8/18/2023 at 12:41 PM, Amlaham said:

I don't necessarily have a problem with dollar tree, an affordable option is always nice. However, how in the hell are they able to afford rent for an entire city block in midtown? 

There is one in River Oaks. Maybe they're doing better than we thought. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wilcal said:

There is one in River Oaks. Maybe they're doing better than we thought. 

The one in River Oaks is in a giant shopping center (which includes Marshalls/Home Goods, TJ Max, gym, many restaurants) and it only occupies a small space. This will be an entire city block in the middle of town just for them.