Harris County Jail At 1301 Franklin St.

On 9/12/2019 at 10:20 AM, mollusk said:

A wild guess would be a replacement for the Family Law Center, which is crammed to the rafters and has to have fire monitors walking the floors because it is literally a firetrap.

Honestly this block and some of the blocks towards Crawford St would be prime territory to move the cities municipal courts, permitting departments, and police, etc... from Washington Ave.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 1

There is a new consolidated booking facility in the general Baker Street area.  IIRC, all that's left of HPD on Lubbock are some offices and the property warehouse on Washington. 

The permitting center is a fairly new renovation of a much older building that took the place of the previous facility in Midtown.  Its customers probably like the relatively easy access and free parking - I know I find it a lot more user friendly than the old place.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Luminare said:

Honestly this block and some of the blocks towards Crawford St would be prime territory to move the cities municipal courts, permitting departments, and police, etc... from Washington Ave.

Courts are fine where they are. Less traffic and lots of parking. The parking is good for jury duty - my last two times for jury duty have been in the municipal courts. Trying to park downtown would be a pain, with conflicting demands from the County courts.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ross said:

Courts are fine where they are. Less traffic and lots of parking. The parking is good for jury duty - my last two times for jury duty have been in the municipal courts. Trying to park downtown would be a pain, with conflicting demands from the County courts.

The courts are not fine where they are. They will move them... that’s public record. Whether they move in down Washington ave or completely downtown is still to be decided.

• Like 2

The Fed facility on Texas Ave/St is an odd place for a prison now that the area around it is no longer a heinous disgrace as it was when it was built. 

I like the "little Alcatraz" concept with the North Canal flood control plan, though I don't know if there would be room (or more importantly any political/administrative will) to move the Federal facility over there by the County folks, but it would be psychologically tidy to put all of the necessary but unfortunate places on a literal island apart from the increasingly desirable downtown. 

There's also the privately (I think) operated prison down by MMP, across Preston from the back end of the 500 Crawford apartments.  It may have been vacated already. Not sure who owned the facility or land, but there's another block that could be unprisoned. 

• Like 3

On 9/16/2019 at 8:01 AM, Nate99 said:

The Fed facility on Texas Ave/St is an odd place for a prison now that the area around it is no longer a heinous disgrace as it was when it was built. 

I like the "little Alcatraz" concept with the North Canal flood control plan, though I don't know if there would be room (or more importantly any political/administrative will) to move the Federal facility over there by the County folks, but it would be psychologically tidy to put all of the necessary but unfortunate places on a literal island apart from the increasingly desirable downtown. 

There's also the privately (I think) operated prison down by MMP, across Preston from the back end of the 500 Crawford apartments.  It may have been vacated already. Not sure who owned the facility or land, but there's another block that could be unprisoned. 

Ohhh or like an Arkham Asylum in Batman. That would be fun. We could even add jagged rocks to the cost and watch towers at the corners. Really would sell the idea.

• Haha 5

4 hours ago, Luminare said:

Ohhh or like an Arkham Asylum in Batman. That would be fun. We could even add jagged rocks to the cost and watch towers at the corners. Really would sell the idea.

It could have searchlights panning across the walls at night and a big draw bridge!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 months later...
  • The title was changed to 1301 Franklin St. - Former 13-Story Jail Slated for Demolition
  • 10 months later...
  • The title was changed to 1301 Franklin St. - Former 13-Story Jail Slated For Demolition
  • 4 months later...
  • The title was changed to 1301 Franklin St.
  • The title was changed to Harris County Jail At 1301 Franklin St.