Crime In Montrose

Montrose1100

Right around 8pm, the same chopper was circling over my house in Midtown. There is a large overgrown vacant lot across the street and it seemed to be looking at that lot for about 10 minutes.

I was in my garage working, and figured it was time to go inside.

I didnt even think of pulling out the bearcat scanner. That thing has been sitting in a box for 7 years.

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's right by my house... Anyway, sounds like they were out cruising for a victim - I seriously doubt they live anywhere near there, so I'm hoping it was just a one-time, random thing. Scary, though, as sometimes on weekends we will be out into the early morning hours. I wonder if they were all pellet guns? A terrifying experience for that poor guy, either way

I've known people to be robbed at gunpoint in other parts of Montrose (close to South Beach), but nothing quite like this. It always seems to be someone driving by in a car

That's right by my house... Anyway, sounds like they were out cruising for a victim - I seriously doubt they live anywhere near there, so I'm hoping it was just a one-time, random thing. Scary, though, as sometimes on weekends we will be out into the early morning hours. I wonder if they were all pellet guns? A terrifying experience for that poor guy, either way

I've known people to be robbed at gunpoint in other parts of Montrose (close to South Beach), but nothing quite like this. It always seems to be someone driving by in a car

Its those thugs coming from the heights. You know how they are in that part of town.

They're serious gangsta over there.

• Like 1

Its those thugs coming from the heights. You know how they are in that part of town.

They're serious gangsta over there.

:lol: That's right! We're bad. We're bad. Hey you find something fabulous at Eclectic Home and you don't have enough cash whatya goin' to do?

• Like 1

:lol: That's right! We're bad. We're bad. Hey you find something fabulous at Eclectic Home and you don't have enough cash whatya goin' to do?

EXACTLY what I thought.

Everyone North of I-10 is a Yankee, after all.

I wish you would just STAY up there in The Heights.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The Positive Interaction Program (with police) or PIP was held tonite for districts one (montrose) and district two (heights) all of the on going stats for crime are presented and discussed but the biggest gasp came when it

was reported heights homicide rate was up 900% yipes! last year there was only one homicide this year 10-- but the kicker is-- most of those were committed elsewhere and the bodies dumped in the heights-- overall crime in the heights is actually down slightly if you don't count the homicide number-- in montrose most of the crimes are down (homicide, rape, armed robbery etc) but home and car burglary are really up so the overall crime stat is up--

The Positive Interaction Program (with police) or PIP was held tonite for districts one (montrose) and district two (heights) all of the on going stats for crime are presented and discussed but the biggest gasp came when it

was reported heights homicide rate was up 900% yipes! last year there was only one homicide this year 10-- but the kicker is-- most of those were committed elsewhere and the bodies dumped in the heights-- overall crime in the heights is actually down slightly if you don't count the homicide number-- in montrose most of the crimes are down (homicide, rape, armed robbery etc) but home and car burglary are really up so the overall crime stat is up--

So, did everyone settle down after they were told they were only body dumpings and that the rate itself was inflated for that reason?

Nice title for you to alarm your neighbors with a nisleading title.

• Like 1

So, did everyone settle down after they were told they were only body dumpings and that the rate itself was inflated for that reason?

Nice title for you to alarm your neighbors with a nisleading title.

Oh thank goodness, we're just a dumping ground for bodies.

LOL

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

To: undisclosed recipients:

Subject: body found

Just in case nobody knows about it. On Monday a womans body was found in a field in the lower part of 1a20s (close to the spur surrounding area) . The body, thought to be a woman, was a ( male dressed in drag ) . Homicide was at the storefront yesterday placing out flyers with the a picture on it, hoping to find a witness who may have seen the this person with someone. I have no other information at this time, but if I come across something I will be sure to send everybody a email on the update.

Thank You Very Much

W

Edited by trymahjong

From the Chronicle:

Ruben Dario Ical, 51, of Houston, who also went by the name of Myra Chanel Ical, was found dead in the 4300 block of Garrott about 2 p.m. Jan. 10, police said.

He had numerous bruises and defensive wounds, as if he had struggled against his attacker. He was partially clothed.

Police said that the area where Ical's body was discovered is a well-known spot where homeless people camp and is frequented by prostitutes and drug users.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6826157.html

When I lived right by there I used to walk by that empty field often (usually to get to the rail). Never knew it was known for that...!

From the Chronicle:

http://www.chron.com...an/6826157.html

When I lived right by there I used to walk by that empty field often (usually to get to the rail). Never knew it was known for that...!

Actually, right against the spur.

They put up those idiotic bushes up against there and it makes for an excellent hiding spot. I've seen more than a few bums come in and out of the place and saw quite a few get flushed out when HPD had a horse and bike patrols flushing out both sides of that area.

Hopefully, they will start it up again, the area had fewer bums in the area.

Right now (supposedly) Audobon is a place where you wanna find some hookers. Never seen evidence of it myself, but then again, I'm not looking.

Right now (supposedly) Audobon is a place where you wanna find some hookers. Never seen evidence of it myself, but then again, I'm not looking.

I live in Audubon Place (North of this location) and have seen prostitutes in the actual neighborhood very infrequently.

North of Westheimer is another story. The Apartments on Alabama and the Spur also frequently have prostitutes and what I assume are drug dealers hanging about.

If the city can start cracking down on the sleazy apartments I think that would go a long way to reducing the street crime in the whole of The Montrose.

I live in Audubon Place (North of this location) and have seen prostitutes in the actual neighborhood very infrequently.

North of Westheimer is another story. The Apartments on Alabama and the Spur also frequently have prostitutes and what I assume are drug dealers hanging about.

If the city can start cracking down on the sleazy apartments I think that would go a long way to reducing the street crime in the whole of The Montrose.

I don't think the "sleazy" apartments have anything to do with it. I've seen them milling around by 611 and on Fairview and have a sneaking suspicion that they come from other parts of the city.

If anything, I think a bike patrol would do wonders in this particular section, if for traffic control alone!

Hopefully, as the city puts more cops out on the street, they will be able to dedicate a few of them on this beat alone.

They scatter the minute they see an HPD cruiser coming around the corner.

Edited by ricco67

I agree it would be great to see more cops there. But I am not holding my breath.

It is sort of sad that one can't walk from one side of the spur to the other without getting hassled by the homeless. I would walk to places like t'afia and the continental club, but it is just too much of a pain in the butt.

I have to say, though, that all those Skylane Apartments (did they change the name?) are part of the problem. It is like watching The Wire when you see cops drive down the street. (Rollers! Rollers!)

I live close to 611 --And I always call the 3131 number to report what I see and ask for a reference number-- do a followup with a paper copy of that report and include the 3131 reference number--yes, it's a hassle but it makes a difference-The local PIP meetings for district one have repeatedly noted that the number of reports concerning a specific area translates to the number of patrols by HPD--

Also--- after a lot of complaints(citizens going to those PIP meetings and verbally explaining/complaining about the problem) that "forested" area by the spur-- the precint one capt did a sweep and cleared it out last year--of course it all seems to go back to the way it was-- but really what else can you do but keep filling out those reports and keep going to those meetings?

Edited by trymahjong

OMG - I've walked that 'cow-path' through that lot, walking home from those bars behind the Breakfast Klub. A neighborhood bum asked for $, but I just told him that I drank it all and that was that. I was wearing man clothes.

I've heard that the old Skyline Apts at Ala & Spur (now painted yellow/gold) are under better mgmt and it's actually pretty decent. The Skyline @ Ala & Garrott needs to go, however.

I caught this before I finished - the location described is in the Montrose Commons (south of Alabama). Sorry, I had the wrong intersection.

Thanks for the heads up. Where was this information obtained.

I'll ask a neighbor/area business owner if he has any details.

I believe it was on ch. 13 where I saw it, and deduced the exact location of the body.

It wasn't on "the path" but the idiot little forest there.

I betting her pimp did her/him in.

My thinking is that, since the cops thought she was a lady, so did her john. He freaked because she had a weenie and wacked her. I'll bet that she was murdered elsewhere and the body dumped there because someone knew of the idiot little forest.

Yeah, it's the southeastern edge of First Montrose Commons. When I'd walk up Richmond across the spur there would always be at least a couple homeless panhandling but never anything scary. The little camp behind Shipley's, however, might be a different story..

My thinking is that, since the cops thought she was a lady, so did her john. He freaked because she had a weenie and wacked her. I'll bet that she was murdered elsewhere and the body dumped there because someone knew of the idiot little forest.

Thanks for using the correct pronouns. Press, Chronicle, and KPRC all failed.