Memories Of Texas Medical Center

DMac

Looking at that map, it seems as if US 59 was routed through the south side of Houston on Fannin, down Holcombe for a bit and eventually down S. Main to Rosenberg. But I thought US 59 was multiplexed with O.S.T. through the Riverside area down to S. Main before the freeway was built. Maybe I understood it wrong. Was Fannin and S. Main north of OST "Bus. US 59" while OST itself was "US 59"?

• Like 1

Looking at that map, it seems as if US 59 was routed through the south side of Houston on Fannin, down Holcombe for a bit and eventually down S. Main to Rosenberg. But I thought US 59 was multiplexed with O.S.T. through the Riverside area down to S. Main before the freeway was built. Maybe I understood it wrong. Was Fannin and S. Main north of OST "Bus. US 59" while OST itself was "US 59"?

funny enough, i was wondering about 59, too - i was scanning a postcard of the St. Francis Motel and the address was 90A at Highway 59 (today we know it as 3615 OST, near Tierwester). i'll have to dig up some old maps.

Edited by sevfiv

I think so - isn't that what this 1952 map shows?

I think so - isn't that what this 1952 map shows?

Yes, that's what I thought. That other map of the current Medical Center area from the early 50's was a bit deceiving as it has S. Main and part of Fannin listed as just "Hwy. 59", not US or Business.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Wow, fantastic photo!

Would someone mind posting an editing version of this photo showing the various landmarks than can be identified? That would be really cool. I always have a hard time figuring out what's what on these aerial photos... :wacko:

I thought I would take a stab at adding names that I know and some I think I know. With the original poster's (Earlydays) permission, and with his help on some of the names, I am putting it up again with names at the bottom of the photo. I guess I am limited to the file size that's shown here, because the one I uploaded was about 1 MB. and you could zoom in for more detail than the final zoom allowance here shows. The numbers on the photo are small because I didn't want them to override the picture. Hope you can read them OK.

Please help out with names that have question marks and with any other buildings you might know that aren't numbered. I will add them.

54cmjo9.jpg

• Like 1

#41 (Bill Williams Restaurant looks to be about the spot were the now vacant Crowne Plaza Hotel and Wells Fargo Bank Building are located. The Crowne Plaza will be imploded Nox. 11th and the bank building soon after to make way for the new Texas Children's Matenrity Center.

Cool, thanks 57Tbird!

6 was the Post/Shell Bldg/Magnolia Hotel. The dark building at the bottom was the Rossonian.

7 I think is Texaco

8 Medical Arts

9 Cottton Exchange?

10 Petroleum Building

13 Union Station

21 I believe was the Montrose Apartments

I think #13 is a little too far to the west to be Union Station, if you count the blocks from Fannin. Union Station is on Crawford. The Church of the Annunciation, also on Crawford, is directly south across Texas from Union Station, so US would be partially hidden by the church... if that's the church. OTOH, #15 may be too far to the east to be on Crawford. It looks like there is a steeple there, so that's why I thought it might be the COTA. Also, Union Station is only four stories high, and #13 looks more than that. Opinions, please?

A maps.live.com link won't work here. If you use IE, go to the maps.live.com site and Birds-Eye View the area to the South of Minute-Maid Park. You can see the location relation between the old Union Station and Church of the Annunciation.

Re #21... Earlydays said he and his wife remembered that structure as a very elegant 1920

Edited by 57Tbird
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

Am currently researching Texas Medical Center area during the late 1940s and early 1950s for a book. Am very interested in downloading the early photo of S. Main & Fannin, but am unable to accomplish this because the complete file is missing, according to HAIF electronic response to my attempts. Could you please direct me to the complete file or repost the original? Thank you very much.

• Like 1

Am currently researching Texas Medical Center area during the late 1940s and early 1950s for a book. Am very interested in downloading the early photo of S. Main & Fannin, but am unable to accomplish this because the complete file is missing, according to HAIF electronic response to my attempts. Could you please direct me to the complete file or repost the original? Thank you very much.

I think the original poster, Earlydays, might need to give permission and receive credit should he wish. With his permission, I have added building names that are known by myself, Earlydays, and other HAIF'ers. I have some more names, but have not updated. I have done some work with Photoshop to remove some minor imperfections in the photo from the original. If Earlydays gives his permission for its use, I can furnish you with the large file, modified photo, with or without building names.

• Like 1

I think the original poster, Earlydays, might need to give permission and receive credit should he wish. With his permission, I have added building names that are known by myself, Earlydays, and other HAIF'ers. I have some more names, but have not updated. I have done some work with Photoshop to remove some minor imperfections in the photo from the original. If Earlydays gives his permission for its use, I can furnish you with the large file, modified photo, with or without building names.

Yes, you have my permission to use the photo.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Had to resurrect this topic, to draw attention to these aerial maps & photos that 57Tbird originally posted. I joined this forum years after many HAIFers, and continue to find good information. I've never seen some of these places before. Just what I needed to find the exact location for The Tidelands Moter Inn. The address on the postcard says 6500 South Main. GoogleEarth takes you further down S. Main, but it's actual location is seen in the maps. Corner of S. Main & University.

As I read in earlier posts, the inn had a third floor added later, with those '60's style arches. Was a popular place, with a nightclub, and all. Says the pool had a "wading pool with an elevated waterfall and underwater music". Cool! The style reminds me of the lanai addition to the Shamrock Hilton. Wish I could have seen these places. The Tidelands sign seems eerily familiar to me, guess I remember it from my youth.

There was also a Galveston hotel sitting on the seawall with the same color scheme, the bldg. shape was curved around a pool. Blue, yellow, orange colors come to mind.

• Like 1

Had to resurrect this topic, to draw attention to these aerial maps & photos that 57Tbird originally posted. I joined this forum years after many HAIFers, and continue to find good information. I've never seen some of these places before. Just what I needed to find the exact location for The Tidelands Moter Inn. The address on the postcard says 6500 South Main. GoogleEarth takes you further down S. Main, but it's actual location is seen in the maps. Corner of S. Main & University.

As I read in earlier posts, the inn had a third floor added later, with those '60's style arches. Was a popular place, with a nightclub, and all. Says the pool had a "wading pool with an elevated waterfall and underwater music". Cool! The style reminds me of the lanai addition to the Shamrock Hilton. Wish I could have seen these places. The Tidelands sign seems eerily familiar to me, guess I remember it from my youth.

There was also a Galveston hotel sitting on the seawall with the same color scheme, the bldg. shape was curved around a pool. Blue, yellow, orange colors come to mind.

Our family stayed at the Tidelands in the July of 1963, when we moved back to Houston after living overseas for 5 years.

• Like 1

I understand the Tidelands Motor Inn had a club and a lot of big time performers played there in it's early days. An interesting tidbit: The Smothers Brothers debut album "The Smothers Brothers At The Purple Onion" was actually from a recorded show at the Tidelands because their Purple Onion recording had to many sound problems.

I never went to the Tidelands when it was a hotel but went there a lot while Rice used it as a it's graduate apartments. And I monitored it's tear down about 5 years or so ago (lots of asbestos). It was in pretty bad shape by then.

<a%20href=Tidelands.jpg">

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Early Photo Of Holcombe St. & Fannin St.
  • The title was changed to Memories Of Texas Medical Center
  • 1 month later...

I was invited to a dinner party tonight. The person hosting is a manager at Anderson.

I brought up the pink stone that MD Anderson likes to use on their buildings. She said Anderson used to teach, in orientation, the story about Monroe Anderson's trip to the Arizona mountains.  Monroe Anderson's discovered some pink rock during his trip to Arizona, and that's the beginning of the story about the pinkish stone used throughout their TMC medical campus.

I've also been told, again, that Pisters is a real down-to-earth guy. He's the President, but likes to act and walk around, like a normal guy.

• 3 weeks later...

Another 7200 Main view. wow!!  I believe a few decades later, a pair of medical/office buildings were built.  Then demolished so the St. Nicholas School could be built. Now that the school has been demolished we are awaiting the next chapter of 7200 Main.

Whose mansion is on the far left? It has some type of gate, where as the others do not.

txe1jzY.jpg