Avondale Subdivision In Montrose History

trymahjong

I have heard about the HISTORIC ARCHITECTURE tour the Avondale Association is planning and I walked down Avondale street where the tour will take place---To my utter surprise there are only 2 "historic" houses on the north side of avondale street in the 100 -- 200 and 300 block of avondale-----essentially from Taft to Bagby--only 2 houses! ( one a private house and the other an attorney's office) on the north side of the street-- what happened to them? I'm curious as to what they looked like--Are there any old pictures of those houses that were torn down?? Several Houses on that street are vacant--will they likely be torn down?

I have heard about the HISTORIC ARCHITECTURE tour the Avondale Association is planning and I walked down Avondale street where the tour will take place---To my utter surprise there are only 2 "historic" houses on the north side of avondale street in the 100 -- 200 and 300 block of avondale-----essentially from Taft to Bagby--only 2 houses! ( one a private house and the other an attorney's office) on the north side of the street-- what happened to them? I'm curious as to what they looked like--Are there any old pictures of those houses that were torn down?? Several Houses on that street are vacant--will they likely be torn down?

Great question, and welcome to HAIF!

My feeble response is that we celebrate history where we find it in Houston. Were it not for the efforts of the local neighborhood associations, there would be even fewer historic houses.

Take a look at Downtown Mansions topic and open the link about Houstons Past. There is presently one home on Avondale that is strikingly similar to the one in the picture. Its the block of Avondale behind La Strada Restuarant area is. I do not know the block number. The homes are all bunched up together and must have been built in 1910-1920's. Bigtex was right, they may be gone a year from now...straight to city landfill. :angry:

People used to ban together and fight to save them but we are a dwindly segment of society in Houston. At least it seems to be the case.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...

A week ago there was a  walking tour down Avondale Ave that gave a brief history of those historic homes (the tour was given in 2011 to the Historic Houston meetup group also ). walking by 214 Avondale  the group noticed that  the little slips posted gave notice  that demolition permits had been obtained. All the tour members were saddened.

this is  information given from that tour. . . .Built in 1920 for Mrs. Lenore Grinstead, and her son Attorney W. Carter Crinstead. From the 1020's to 1040's William and Jennie Fain lived here. He was the manager of  The Texas Warehouse Company

post-6399-0-01352800-1381078694_thumb.jp

Interesting......new owner just bought it in August.  Is Avondale a COH historic district? 

Avondale has the first historic district Avondale East  in 1999-- Also has second Historic district Avondale West. . . . This house is 3 lots west of Avondale East district.

The yahoo group says it was foreclosed on and went for around $160,000.00  So even if in bad shape it would have been okay to invest $200.000. and still get good money for it. ---An 1800 sq ft 1930's restored house close to Avondale blvd  and Crocker just for a little over $500,000.00

The walking tour showed this ad as the tour went past 304 Avondale

When I worked there, Theodore "Ted" had bought out Scruggs, and both the club on the

sidestreet, and the restaurant were named Theodores. I worked for the restaurant..

Hardly ever set foot in the club.. This was the time period as the ammonia truck crash.

I was behind that ammonia truck and saw the crash while on the way to work at Theodores

that day.

When I worked there, Theodore "Ted" had bought out Scruggs, and both the club on the

sidestreet, and the restaurant were named Theodores. I worked for the restaurant..

Hardly ever set foot in the club.. This was the time period as the ammonia truck crash.

I was behind that ammonia truck and saw the crash while on the way to work at Theodores

that day.

What year was that?

Did you ever go into the bar that had a Mac truck grill as a door?

I've only lived in Avondale since 2005 but would love to know any memories you have of what Avondale Ave looked like during that time-

The truck crash was May 76.  So would be around that time frame until maybe 1977 or so.

Never really went in any other bars around there. Theodores the restaurant had a bar upstairs

where I got adult beverages free or half price, "can't remember which", so hardly went anywhere

else.  I imagine everything looked about the same, except 40 years fresher.. The restaurant, 

which was in an old Westheimer house, burned down several years ago. The store next door

was there, even back then. Back then, all the houses on Avondale were in pretty good shape

as I recall.

The truck crash was May 76.  So would be around that time frame until maybe 1977 or so.

Never really went in any other bars around there. Theodores the restaurant had a bar upstairs

where I got adult beverages free or half price, "can't remember which", so hardly went anywhere

else.  I imagine everything looked about the same, except 40 years fresher.. The restaurant, 

which was in an old Westheimer house, burned down several years ago. The store next door

was there, even back then. Back then, all the houses on Avondale were in pretty good shape

as I recall.

did you take any pictures of Theodore's?

• The title was changed to Avondale Subdivision In Montrose History

Archived