METRO And Advertisement

I have been to many cities and I have noticed how on there transit systems there are advertisments on the sides of busses. While watching abc13 yesterday, I saw a MERTO bus go passed a reporter and I noticed that there was no advertisments like I see in other cities.

Also There are none at any of the bus stops. Why don't they alow this? I think its cool when city transit systems have advertisment on them. It makes you feel more like your in a big city.

The advertisments usually show local news reporters advertising to watch there news or radio people.

Does Dallas allow it on there buses? I think so. How about Austin and San Antonio?

Also There are none at any of the bus stops. Why don't they alow this? I think its cool when city transit systems have advertisment on them. It makes you feel more like your in a big city.

The advertisments usually show local news reporters advertising to watch there news or radio people.

Does Dallas allow it on there buses? I think so. How about Austin and San Antonio?

It makes you feel more like you're in a big city.... like Atlanta, right ?!?

We have enough billboards and advertisments everywhere as it is.

I welcome the occasional logo/brandname/advertisment-free canvas.

from February 7, 2005:

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive....id=2005_3841740

Houston is the only one of the country's top 10 populated metropolitan areas that does not have advertising on bus shelters or other areas of the transit system, according to Metro. The authority has never permitted ads because of concerns over the visual clutter they might create.

Yeah, and in order to complete the "big city feel", all we need now is for people to urinate in the MetroRail stops.

when the light rail started didn't they discuss this?

end result- they couldn't discriminate against certain advertisers, so we would end up with a bunch of strip clubs with their banners everywhere like the cabs, and they decided they didn't want to go that way.

i'm sure there were other reasons, but that's one i heard against ads on public transport here.

First let me say I am glad Metro doesn't allow advertisments on the buses. I have lived in cities that allow it and I have never found it flattering in the slightest. However, that link stated, "The authority has never permitted ads because of concerns over the visual clutter they might create". I said this recently on another thread about Houston and it's fight against large LED screens, but I really find it interesting that a city that is the largest city in the nation where it's citizens have opposed zoning ordinaces, and a city who's main routes from the airports are some of the worst I personally have ever seen, would be so concerned about "visual clutter". I'm not trying to start a fight here, but I really find that interesting. I mean good grief, our city laws have allowed a highly visible tacky Zone D' Erotica to be placed at the entrance of our city's most prestigious shopping district.

Some may view Houston and it being concerned about the appearance of something, as a bit of an oxymoron. I'm just saying.

But back to the subject at hand, I say leave the advertisments off of the buses.

Some may view Houston and it being concerned about the appearance of something, as a bit of an oxymoron. I'm just saying.

I think you are reading too much into it. We have to draw the lines somewhere and tacky adveristing is a good place to start. Especially considering how many billboard we already have. Billboards that are slowly on their way out by the way.

And if you want to see clutter from the airport, take the Gatwick Express to Victoria Station.

You'll pass through some very lovely slums.

I think you are reading too much into it. We have to draw the lines somewhere and tacky adveristing is a good place to start. Especially considering how many billboard we already have. Billboards that are slowly on their way out by the way.

And if you want to see clutter from the airport, take the Gatwick Express to Victoria Station.

You'll pass through some very lovely slums.

Or better yet, the express train from Da Vinci airport to the Roma Termini........

When I lived in Boston, regardless if the ads themselves were tasteful or not, they always ended up getting tagged, becoming dirty and grimy, and became even more of an eyesore. They were rotated frequently, just to have the cycle start over again. I appreciate our areas without advertisements.

Edited by Orikal

When I lived in Boston, regardless if the ads themselves were tasteful or not, they always ended up getting tagged, becoming dirty and grimy, and became even more of an eyesore. They were rotated frequently, just to have the cycle start over again. I appreciate our areas without advertisements.

I hate to sound stupid, But the tagging, etc. too me is what makes a city feel like a city. I like the urban grit, but I also like stuff not to be visually cluttered and would rather see trees on freeways than the billboards, high store signs, powerlines etc, that you see on many of Houston's freeways.

Edit: So there still is a chance that advertisment could be added?

Once again I like Bus adds, but not billboard adds. The billboard adds in Houston are boring, and there are none of the ones that flip to another advertisment.

Edited by citykid09

As far as the billboards on the freeway, if they were taken down on 45 it would still have that look. The 50 foot tall Mickey D's and Motel signs do not help either.

As far as the buses, it is a good way for a company to make money, but not for the same reasons as citykid. I believe Minneapolis uses the ipod wraps to wrap their LRT vehicles with advertisements.

I hate to sound stupid, But the tagging, etc. too me is what makes a city feel like a city. I like the urban grit, but I also like stuff not to be visually cluttered and would rather see trees on freeways than the billboards, high store signs, powerlines etc, that you see on many of Houston's freeways.

Edit: So there still is a chance that advertisment could be added?

Once again I like Bus adds, but not billboard adds. The billboard adds in Houston are boring, and there are none of the ones that flip to another advertisment.

You know, one day, you yourself might become the victim of tagging.

And we'll all expect you to just smile and sigh, and say.."ahh, yes...this is a big city". >:)

I have been to many cities and I have noticed how on there transit systems there are advertisments on the sides of busses. While watching abc13 yesterday, I saw a MERTO bus go passed a reporter and I noticed that there was no advertisments like I see in other cities.

Between you and plastic, it is unreal. I try to ignore most of your post, ignorance just pours out of your mouth constanly. I tell you what, I'll pay for a one way first class ticket, so you can move to Atlanta.

Edited by Ethanra

You know, one day, you yourself might become the victim of tagging.

And we'll all expect you to just smile and sigh, and say.."ahh, yes...this is a big city". >:)

I have to admit I busted out laughing when I read this, and you know what.....you're right! :D

Between you and plastic, it is unreal. I try to ignore most of your post, ignorance just pours out of your mouth constanly. I tell you what, I'll pay for a one way first class ticket, so you can move to Atlanta.

Why are you getting on me about Atlanta? I haven't talked about them in a while. All I wanted to show about Atlanta that Houston could take advise from are the little things.

For Example:

Houston's major free paper is called just simply the Houston Press. WOW!

Atlanta's major free paper is called Creative Loafing.

Its the brading of the city that I like about Atlanta. There stuff is Identifiable.

Instead of just Sharpstown Mall, they have the Underground, an actuall attraction.

Instead of the generic name Galleria, which was already the name of a famous shopping area over seas, Atlanta has Philps Plaza and Lenox Square.

The trees lining the freeways

MARTA

The Urbanization of he city

The Celebrity businesses, the attractions.

There is so much I like about Atlanta, but I won't talk about that because I know you guys don't like it.

I'm not against ads on buses and trains, if they're done well. I have a feeling Metro wouldn't do them well. Chicago and New York and most other cities do them really poorly and they look all beat up pretty quickly and are nasty.

Cincinnati's version of Metro (called SORTA, and is complimented by TANK across the river) does some neat things with them -- the entire bus is wrapped in a skin of the ad, like you might do with your cell phone. It's pretty visually interesting. I'm OK with that because it shows effort and is marginally art. But big rectangle placards are cheap and dirty looking.

Cincinnati's version of Metro (called SORTA, and is complimented by TANK across the river) does some neat things with them -- the entire bus is wrapped in a skin of the ad, like you might do with your cell phone. It's pretty visually interesting. I'm OK with that because it shows effort and is marginally art.

The majority of trains in Europe do this, specifically Koln (Cologne). I think I mentioned this way back when in a Metro thread bout how much it cost. I'm sure the advertising budget would be nice for metro to have a 10 cent difference on their debt. :P (just kidding).

Maybe its just my taste, but I am inlove with artsy advertisement. Like at the airport, when the signs flip and you see pretty people with outragous "fashionitble" clothing that could pay off your car... I think GQ magazine should be in-control, and completely "wrap" the trains & buses like in europe & cinci.

Trendy Trendy Houston! Oh look at my day dreaming... How I can get carried away. :blush:

Im happy we dont have ads everywhere. I hate how in Minneapolis they completely wrapped all their hiawatha line trains in big ugly Ipod adverts that cover up the windows. Ive never ridden a fully wrapped train, but im guessing the big giant decals are like the ones on the windows of taco bell ie you cant actually see thru them. How odd it must be to me on the ipod train, with the green things over the windows, the light coming thru would make the inside, well green... I can only imagine what the pink one would be like.

piccy's:

img_42753.jpg

img_42758.jpg

i like our fancy shiney gray-silver trains thank you very much!

Edited by zaphod

Im happy we dont have ads everywhere. I hate how in Minneapolis they completely wrapped all their hiawatha line trains in big ugly Ipod adverts that cover up the windows. Ive never ridden a fully wrapped train, but im guessing the big giant decals are like the ones on the windows of taco bell ie you cant actually see thru them.

piccy's:

img_42753.jpg

img_42758.jpg

The advertisements on those trains and on busses and the like in other cities, is about as lovely as a plane crash. If thats what it takes to get the city feel, then why not heap on a bit of garbage and go for the metropolis feel. Do it all the way..... :wacko::wacko::wacko:

Why are you getting on me about Atlanta? I haven't talked about them in a while. All I wanted to show about Atlanta that Houston could take advise from are the little things.

For Example:

Houston's major free paper is called just simply the Houston Press. WOW!

Atlanta's major free paper is called Creative Loafing.

I think Atlanta has got one over me because when I loaf, it's just usually kicking back on the couch watching Queer Eye or the Astros. I guess I need to get a subscription to Creative Loafing so I can have a better quality of...loafing? :wacko::lol:

B)

I hate to sound stupid, But the tagging, etc. too me is what makes a city feel like a city.

You have a point.

On one hand, we have civic groups and City Hall in an uproar to contain graffiti - yet, among the colorful banners enlivening downtown, the one at Milam and Congress uses a graffiti theme! Go figure!

Im happy we dont have ads everywhere. I hate how in Minneapolis they completely wrapped all their hiawatha line trains in big ugly Ipod adverts that cover up the windows. Ive never ridden a fully wrapped train, but im guessing the big giant decals are like the ones on the windows of taco bell ie you cant actually see thru them. How odd it must be to me on the ipod train, with the green things over the windows, the light coming thru would make the inside, well green... I can only imagine what the pink one would be like.

piccy's:

img_42753.jpg

img_42758.jpg

Yep. That's exactly what I meant when I was talking about the Cincinnati buses. They do their buses just like this. I think it's cool.

As for seeing out -- yes, you can see out quite easily. The decals are perferated with millions of little holes. It relies on a trick of the eye to work. From a distance (for example, outside the train) you can't see in. But from a close distance (inside the train) you can see out easily.

Yep. That's exactly what I meant when I was talking about the Cincinnati buses. They do their buses just like this. I think it's cool.

i think it's cool, too. like you said, it's done tastefully, in my opinion.

you don't get green light in the green ipod train because it's like opaque sticker with a bunch of holes.

Edited by Spencer Street

• The title was changed to METRO And Advertisement