Spec's Beer & Wine At 6010 Washington Ave.

native_Houstonian

City Attorney Arturo Michel said the permit Spec’s received was based on the exception given to restaurants that sell alcohol.

“This store was not built because of a city mistake,” Michel said. “Why they thought they could operate as a package store with that permit, I cannot say.”

So can he say why they would give Spec's a permit they normally give to restaurants? :blink:

So can he say why they would give Spec's a permit they normally give to restaurants? :blink:

More importantly, why would they apply for one?

My guess is they greased the wheel a little bit, which evidently worked until it didn't. Hopefully the priorities of Memorial whatever Elementary students win out.

• 2 months later...

Harris County DA's misspelled and poorly-worded press release.

Harris County Attorney Vince Ryan announced today that the Spec'sLiquors and Spec's Wines, Beers, and Finer Foods stores at 6010Washington Avenue, Houston, have closed. The company agreed to acancelation of its permits for this location this morning prior to anAlcoholic Beverage Commission hearing to consider revoking Spec'slicense and permits.

The County Attorney filed a suit againstSpec's in March asking that the licenses and permits issued by theTexas Alcoholic Beverage for these stores be cancelled because thestores are 675 feet of Memorial Elementary School. The City of Houstonbans the sale of alcohol within 1,000 feet of a public school. Thatsuit is pending.

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairballs/2009/09/specs_on_washington_avenue_clo.php

We found out they were shut down after attempting a quick run there last night. We are really upset since it's within easy walking distance of our house and has a lot to offer in terms of groceries as well and so is a perfect stop to pick up anything we've run out of when making meals etc...

Anyway, they had a sign on the door to have people call the city council reps for the area to voice displeasure with the city in this situation:

Council Member

Edward Gonzalez

City Hall Annex

900 Bagby, 1st Floor

Houston, TX 77002

Phone: 832.393.3003

FAX: 713.247.1252

Council Member

Pam Holm

City Hall Annex

900 Bagby, 1st Floor

Houston, TX 77002

Phone: 832.393.3007

FAX: 713.247.3250

districtg@cityofhouston.net

We will be calling them first thing Monday morning.

We found out they were shut down after attempting a quick run there last night. We are really upset since it's within easy walking distance of our house and has a lot to offer in terms of groceries as well and so is a perfect stop to pick up anything we've run out of when making meals etc...

Anyway, they had a sign on the door to have people call the city council reps for the area to voice displeasure with the city in this situation:

i don't know. i mean, i think it's crappy that the city issued permits in the 1st place and Spec's went through the expense to build out a (great) store BUT on the other hand, there are reasons as to why liquor can't be sold with in a certain distance of a school. if i was asked, i would say the city should give them some kind of serious compensation for their financial lost but the store should remain closed. after all, if they can stay open in this location, what is the 1000 foot rule for? it is rendered moot.

i don't know. i mean, i think it's crappy that the city issued permits in the 1st place and Spec's went through the expense to build out a (great) store BUT on the other hand, there are reasons as to why liquor can't be sold with in a certain distance of a school. if i was asked, i would say the city should give them some kind of serious compensation for their financial lost but the store should remain closed. after all, if they can stay open in this location, what is the 1000 foot rule for? it is rendered moot.

For me its a demographics thing. Spec's is not your typical liquor store and doesn't generally attract the paper bag crowd you might be worried about.

I can't believe they're worried about ELEMENTARY schoolkids buying booze at SPECS! I'm 28 and they look at ME funny when I walk in!

If it were a high school, I could see a bit of concern. Damn those drunk 9 year olds had to mess it up for everyone! LOL

I assume they already looked at moving the door to be farther away? What about making the entrance in the middle or the WoW circle, and have a tunnel underground to the store? Perfect, make it happen. Deliveries might be tricky...

Must be at least 1000 ft and it was only 650 ft away so moving the door was not going to help.

Must be at least 1000 ft and it was only 650 ft away so moving the door was not going to help.

Maybe instead of farther away along the ground, they could go up. Hike up a set of stairs to the entrance 1000 feet in the air and then ride an elevator down into the store. Simple if you ask me. I am the answer man. I'll provide the easiest out-of-the-box solutions for any problem.

For me its a demographics thing. Spec's is not your typical liquor store and doesn't generally attract the paper bag crowd you might be worried about.

really? because there are quite a few homeless ans n'erdowells that hang out around the mecca, i.e. downtown specs. and, like i said, if one liquor store can be <700 ft from a schol, then they all can be.

I can't believe they're worried about ELEMENTARY schoolkids buying booze at SPECS! I'm 28 and they look at ME funny when I walk in!

If it were a high school, I could see a bit of concern. Damn those drunk 9 year olds had to mess it up for everyone! LOL

my 2 year old is coniving enough to get his hands on a good fake id. i swear.

really? because there are quite a few homeless ans n'erdowells that hang out around the mecca, i.e. downtown specs. and, like i said, if one liquor store can be <700 ft from a schol, then they all can be.

I do not see this near the Midtown Spec's, and I go there pretty often. The Greyhound station, on the other hand...

Maybe instead of farther away along the ground, they could go up. Hike up a set of stairs to the entrance 1000 feet in the air and then ride an elevator down into the store. Simple if you ask me. I am the answer man. I'll provide the easiest out-of-the-box solutions for any problem.

So would they need to just go up the extra feet to make a total of 1000 or would the actual hypotenuse of the triangle need to be 1000 feet. Could make a big difference in the construction costs. :o

Actually, I think they should move this store to the west side of town (closer to me). :lol:

I do not see this near the Midtown Spec's, and I go there pretty often. The Greyhound station, on the other hand...

i actually wonder if one guy might have died- black guy with dreds. he was thin and i watched him get puffier and puffier over the years. that's a sign of cirrhosis. he used to sleep on the bench right across the street.

...and demographics arent a good indicator as all kinds of people can be found drinking and being stupid at all times of day.

I assume they already looked at moving the door to be farther away? What about making the entrance in the middle or the WoW circle, and have a tunnel underground to the store? Perfect, make it happen. Deliveries might be tricky...

The 1,000 foot from school requirement is a lot linr to lot line measurement, so door location is immaterial. Door placement is used to skirt the 300 foot rule.

So would they need to just go up the extra feet to make a total of 1000 or would the actual hypotenuse of the triangle need to be 1000 feet. Could make a big difference in the construction costs. ohmy.gif

Excellent point. In the case for the hypotenuse, the stairs would only need to be 760 feet high. (Though my math is probably wrong.) That's only two and a half football fields up as opposed to the earlier suggested three and a third.

Excellent point. In the case for the hypotenuse, the stairs would only need to be 760 feet high. (Though my math is probably wrong.) That's only two and a half football fields up as opposed to the earlier suggested three and a third.

Unfortunately, it looks like Red has cut the legs out from under the wild entryway modification idea. Guess they'll just have to move it to the west side of town.:P

Got a couple of responses from some people on this:

One from the owner of Specs saying that they are in a long term lease on the location so they won't be 'moving' anywhere and he encourages anyone unhappy with the situation to make some noise with the city so a waiver can be granted.

From Annise Parker, she said the permit was granted based on the belief they would be selling more food onsite than alcohol. When that wasn't the case, the permit was revoked. It was never incorrectly issued in the first place according to her, but issued on a business model that was not adhered to.

So, I am curious: How prevalent are waivers issued to businesses in cases like this? Does the city really investigate alcohol sales like this as a percentage of total sales? Given that we have sex offenders living across the street from schools in the Heights and no one does anything about it, I can't imagine the city having resources to Big Brother a place like Specs.

• The title was changed to Spec's On Washington Ave.
  • The title was changed to Spec's Beer & Wine At 6010 Washington Ave.

Archived