Spec's Beer & Wine At 6010 Washington Ave.

native_Houstonian

Do you think that Spec's would ever venture to the Heights? Of course, it couldn't be IN the Heights, as it is dry, but what about the old Eckerd building at 20th and N. Main? Since they do have some specialty foods, etc, it may be a nice addition to the neighborhood. Anyone else have any thoughts on the subject?

Do you think that Spec's would ever venture to the Heights? Of course, it couldn't be IN the Heights, as it is dry, but what about the old Eckerd building at 20th and N. Main? Since they do have some specialty foods, etc, it may be a nice addition to the neighborhood. Anyone else have any thoughts on the subject?

Sounds good to me. The old Eckerd's is an eyesore.

I have never ventured into one of the Spec's branch locations. I typically drive past a branch location to reach the midtown Spec's location, the mother load of all liquor stores, A.K.A. the mother ship. I Love that place.

That being said, I think a quality gourmet market is just what North Main needs and would be willing to change my behavior to support a Spec's on North Main.

I have never ventured into one of the Spec's branch locations. I typically drive past a branch location to reach the midtown Spec's location, the mother load of all liquor stores, A.K.A. the mother ship. I Love that place.

That being said, I think a quality gourmet market is just what North Main needs and would be willing to change my behavior to support a Spec's on North Main.

Northwood,

Do I know you? I also refer to the original Spec's location as THE MOTHER SHIP. It's like I'm in constant orbit around that place, and every once in awhile I'm sucked into the vortex. However, I always emerge much happier.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm confused about the 'dry' vs 'wet' rule for liquor. It's dry West of the Blvd? But Kroger sells alcohol? Then I heard the line is Studewood, but Berryhill serves alcohol? Is it sales vs consumption?

I emailed Spec's and suggested the Eckerd or the old HEB as a location and the president wrote me back and said that they would love to be in the Heights but to quote him, "the Heights founders agreed to keep alcohol sales from being legal in Heights forever".

Maybe they don't realize the exact boundaries and where these locations are in relation to that?

I'm confused about the 'dry' vs 'wet' rule for liquor. It's dry West of the Blvd? But Kroger sells alcohol? Then I heard the line is Studewood, but Berryhill serves alcohol? Is it sales vs consumption?

I emailed Spec's and suggested the Eckerd or the old HEB as a location and the president wrote me back and said that they would love to be in the Heights but to quote him, "the Heights founders agreed to keep alcohol sales from being legal in Heights forever".

Maybe they don't realize the exact boundaries and where these locations are in relation to that?

Sounds like a trip to Harris County records is warranted.

Ok, here is the map of the Houston Heights off of the Heights Association web page. I'm not for sure, but I believe that this is the boundry for selling alcohol. Anywhere in the shaded are, no drinky drinky for you. Now, you can buy a drink at Shade Restaurant on 19th street, if you become a member of their "private club", which means that they swipe your driver's license and your in. You don't have to wear a beanie or anything! :lol:

Would someone please pass this along to Spec's! I would love to have one closer to home!

houstonheightsmap.jpg

I used to stop in Spec's every once in a while on the way to work and pick up a sandwich to go. You get quite a ribbing when you show up to work and your lunch bag has "Spec's" printed on the side of it.

Kinf of off the subject, but the new Spec's on Mason rd is big and very nice.

My Mother lives out in Katy and we randomly stopped in that Specs on Mason to kill some time and it IS very nice. God I'd love to have one of those in the Heights.

To my understanding it's a deed restriction that keeps The Heights dry -- part of the annexation, about a hundred years ago. I think I heard that it might expire soon, but can't confirm that.

Spec's in Midtown is nicer than Northpark Mall.

To my understanding it's a deed restriction that keeps The Heights dry -- part of the annexation, about a hundred years ago. I think I heard that it might expire soon, but can't confirm that.

Spec's in Midtown is nicer than Northpark Mall.

Beam me up to the mother ship.

• 3 years later...

Apparently multiple levels of government screwed up when issuing the permits for Spec's on Washington. A lawsuit has been brought to close it because it is supposedly too close to a school. An online petition has been created to voice support to keep it open.

Go sign it if you like Spec's, like good food and drink, or don't want to see a local business punished unnecessarily.

I noticed it last week when I was driving down Washington! It really fits into the area well in its location, and I'd like to see it stay open, because I think it will do well in this area, plus I love the store, and it will further solidify my interest in moving to this area.

That would really stink if they closed that Spec's I can easily walk to it from my house and they have a very respectable grocery section to pick up some of the essentials in addition to the nice selection of wines etc... as usual. I signed the petition but wonder if there isn't something more active that can be done?

That would really stink if they closed that Spec's I can easily walk to it from my house and they have a very respectable grocery section to pick up some of the essentials in addition to the nice selection of wines etc... as usual. I signed the petition but wonder if there isn't something more active that can be done?

It is really nice to have around. I was just there on Saturday and thinking it was so nice to walk in and buy quality beers and walk out without the rush of the Midtown location.

Worst case, may be they can take over the empty space where McCain's Market used to be on Heights & White Oak.

Irfan

It is really nice to have around. I was just there on Saturday and thinking it was so nice to walk in and buy quality beers and walk out without the rush of the Midtown location.

Worst case, may be they can take over the empty space where McCain's Market used to be on Heights & White Oak.

Irfan

With the dry area, that isn't going to happen.

<H2 class=ParHHANLarticletitle id=DryArea>Dry Area Clarification</H2>A recent mix-up involving a requested liquor license for the property at 3202 White Oak Drive points to the need for clarification regarding the Houston Heights

If I'm not mistaken, I think if they do end up closing it down, it will only be the liquor portion of the store, so the beer/wine/grocery section will remain open.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As right as they should.

While I don't think the permit should have been issued in the first place, I don't think Spec's should pay for someone else's laziness and idiocy.

A good compromise is to allow them to operate for a period of time that is reasonable enough so they can make a reasonable profit and coup their losses.

Archived