The Heights Information & Developments

jookyhc

Cool - I haven't been to the Yale Fiesta yet - but if they've got two foreign foods aisles, inc. a noteworthy Caribbean section, I'll have to check it out! I've gotten Ting a couple of times at Spec's - it's good stuff. There's a jerk marinade at Kroger I like, that seems fairly healthy, but I always wished for a wider selection.

Will try the panaderia, too, sometime. There are so many interesting looking panaderias around, my list keeps growing.

Thanks, y'all - and welcome back, Crunch!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just my personal rant:

My Canadian relatives are visiting and I drove them down N Sheperd from I-10 to 610-N to visit the local BBQ eatery of Gabby's. I have lived in the Greater Heights for about six years now. Can anybody tell me has N Sheperd always been this rundown and ugly? They were asking me why there are so many used car lots in my area. I didn't have an answer and the street streetscape is a poor reflection of what Heights can be. I am wondering why these low rent properties haven't been replaced with more commercial property that refects the everchanging monetary demographics of the Heights.

Since always. I would say Durham or maybe a block or two west of Durham is Heights too.

Surprisingly, homes a few blocks west of Durham arelegally listed as part of the Houston Heights.

Found it at the Harris County Appraisal District website for verification.

I think they are the ugly stepchild. :)

Its kinda funny that you were going to a 31 year old BBQ restaurant and complaining that the other old businesses hadn't been run out of the area hehe. Be careful what you wish for.

I'm shocked. Is Gabby's really that old of an institution? It is finger licking good though. However, Gabby's has a well maintained exterior.

I just wish N Sheperd lose some of these cheap used car lots. Sad to say, when I give visitors/friends directions to my home, I always tell them to go down TC Jester instead. I'm trying to keep with the Jones. lol

Just my personal rant:

My Canadian relatives are visiting and I drove them down N Sheperd from I-10 to 610-N to visit the local BBQ eatery of Gabby's. I have lived in the Greater Heights for about six years now. Can anybody tell me has N Sheperd always been this rundown and ugly? They were asking me why there are so many used car lots in my area. I didn't have an answer and the street streetscape is a poor reflection of what Heights can be. I am wondering why these low rent properties haven't been replaced with more commercial property that refects the everchanging monetary demographics of the Heights.

You're not the only one to raise this issue

Does anyone have any new/good intel on recent developments? I have seen several large lots for sale along Shepherd between I-10 and 610, but there are still an obscene amount of these used car dealerships. I dream of a day that Shepherd and Durham aren't littered with them, is that even a possibility? Maybe not in my lifetime, but it would be awesome, especially since Shady Acres and other areas west of Durham are coming along. I feel that Shepherd/Durham is an ugly scar cutting right down the middle of a decent (great in spots, coming along in others) area, at least between I-10 and 610.

I am seeing some hopeful signs. A new bank and some other new commercial enterpises popping up. You'll notice a number of these are at cross streets where multiple frontages can be pieced together. As I mentioned in another thread, I think it's difficult to redevelop because the lots along both N Shepherd and Durham are relatively shallow for commerical development, particularly with required setbacks coupled with arterial widening. Ironically, the housing gentrification may quash development along the corridor, because new/reclaimed housing is chewing up lateral lots on parallel side streets. (Example: the lots south of the Valero at W16 which have brand new Tricons and remodeled bungalows backing up to them.

I do have one brilliant idea. Heights Annex, which straddles the Shep/Dur corridor is wet. I think a combination bar and used car dealership would be cool. Oh wait, it's probably too close to Love Elementary. Damn, kids. (Get off my lawn!)

Surprisingly, homes a few blocks west of Durham arelegally listed as part of the Houston Heights.

Found it at the Harris County Appraisal District website for verification.

I think they are the ugly stepchild. smile.gif

From W16 to W26, about 6 lots west of Durham. I have a friend who lives in this area. Don't call her ugly!tongue.gif

Edited by Porchman

I agree, N. Shepherd is ugly. But it is what it is. If you don't want ugly, drive on Heights or Studewood. There are actually fewer used car dealers than there used to be. Where do you suggest they go? They are legal businesses.

• Like 1

You're not the only one to raise this issue

I am seeing some hopeful signs. A new bank and some other new commercial enterpises popping up. You'll notice a number of these are at cross streets where multiple frontages can be pieced together. As I mentioned in another thread, I think it's difficult to redevelop because the lots along both N Shepherd and Durham are relatively shallow for commerical development, particularly with required setbacks coupled with arterial widening. Ironically, the housing gentrification may quash development along the corridor, because new/reclaimed housing is chewing up lateral lots on parallel side streets. (Example: the lots south of the Valero at W16 which have brand new Tricons and remodeled bungalows backing up to them.I do have one brilliant idea. Heights Annex, which straddles the Shep/Dur corridor is wet. I think a combination bar and used car dealership would be cool. Oh wait, it's probably too close to Love Elementary. Damn, kids. (Get off my lawn!)

I thought of when I posted that when I read the first post here. I did used to be hopeful about Shepherd/Durham being on the upswing, but now I just accept that it is what it is. The lots really are shallow, you can't have a significant business there unless you go all the way to the next street on the east side. I don't see the used car people going anywhere fast, they collectively keep their property values down and with so many in one area I'm sure they bring each other business as people hop from lot to lot looking for the deal.

And hey, at least it's not NEAR as bad as it is further north. I went on an auto part salvage hunt one time, and I had no idea that junkyard central was only a couple miles north. Now THAT area sucks. Give me the used car people with random other stuff over that any day. Parts of it I have even come to like.

Gosh, and I was going to say it is so much nicer now that it was whne I lived nearby in the 1980s. I miss all the flags and inflatable gorillas.

Stinking Canadians anyway. Tell them to go back to canukville if they don't like Houston.

• Like 1

You Heights folks ought to be careful what you wish for. As Washington Avenue gets too pricey for bars and clubs, where do you think the Scene is going to gravitate to? The actual Heights is quasi-dry, and the East End or Near Northside areas aren't ripe enough just yet.

You Heights folks ought to be careful what you wish for. As Washington Avenue gets too pricey for bars and clubs, where do you think the Scene is going to gravitate to? The actual Heights is quasi-dry, and the East End or Near Northside areas aren't ripe enough just yet.

HeHeHe. Big Star Bar is already over there in the dreaded N Shepherd area. Only a matter of time. That's what people get for buying a house west of Yale and expecting the actual 'Heights'.

Kidding, of course. I know some wonderful not-quite Heights folks. :D

As I indicated in the Wash Av. thread, the d-b storm is movin WNW, so Shepherd could see some action, particularly with an outflow boundary.

Kidding, of course. I know some wonderful not-quite Heights folks. biggrin.gif

What do you mean "not-quite"? There are Karen Derr signs with the "At-large Position 1" pasties all over Yale-to-Shep.

[OK..."pasties" may not be the best term, but it is a year of City poll dancing and KD's supporters keep their signs, at least, 3 feet from the street].

As I indicated in the Wash Av. thread, the d-b storm is movin WNW, so Shepherd could see some action, particularly with an outflow boundary.

What do you mean "not-quite"? There are Karen Derr signs with the "At-large Position 1" pasties all over Yale-to-Shep.

[OK..."pasties" may not be the best term, but it is a year of City poll dancing and KD's supporters keep their signs, at least, 3 feet from the street].

pasties...hahaha

porchman is funny man!

karen Derr pasties, Ha! It's those people from Norhill and Woodland Heights. They are such snobs about the west-of-yaleies, lol.

I like it just the way it is. I cringe to think what The Heights will look like once every car lot along Shepherd is replaced with apartment complexes and bars. How many people could get crammed in there ? 2,000-3,000 extra folks or more?

As long as they stay on that end I guess it wouldn't be too bad. Plenty of people already use the neighborhood as a cut-through anyway.

Edited by Tricky Matt

I cringe to think what The Heights will look like once every car lot along Shepherd is replaced with apartment complexes and bars. How many people could get crammed in there ? 2,000-3,000 extra folks or more? You think driving on Shepherd, Yale, Heights, Studewood, 11th, 14th, 20th is bad now... I'd never poke my head out of Proctor Plaza again.

If that were to happen, most of the traffic would be localized onto Shepherd/Durham unless said apartment complexes and bars were to encroach eastward into the actual Heights. But I'm with you on this - be careful what you wish for.

I'm happy for Shepherd to stay as it is. If more apartmetns and bars appear, the chances of crime and general trouble go up for the nearby Timbergrove neighborhoods. Besides, Shepherd from 11th to 610 is an iconic Houston drive, with the old painted over Prices sign near 15th, the Giant V at Tommie Vaughan Ford, several MCM style commercial buildings, and general nonconformance. You don't see many streets like this elsewhere.

Just my personal rant:

To be blunt, you and your friends are not consuming enough. If you'd be a bit more reckless with your credit cards, perhaps the clay pot and patio furniture purveyors would see the value of locating on Shepherd. Look what it did for Gabby's.

BTW, I am more than a bit nervous of your ideas of "what Heights can be",

Edited by RedScare

With the renovations to Kroger, I would not be surprised to see an uptick in the number and quality of tenants in that shopping strip at some point, along with the shopping center across 11th. And while lot depths may be shallow, the general location -- between 610 and I-10 -- should theoretically be pretty good.

The vacancies in retail areas within the Heights (6th and Heights along with 11th and Yale) are interesting. I'd be interested to hear if this is a pattern or just random. 19th seems to do ok.

With the renovations to Kroger, I would not be surprised to see an uptick in the number and quality of tenants in that shopping strip at some point, along with the shopping center across 11th. And while lot depths may be shallow, the general location -- between 610 and I-10 -- should theoretically be pretty good.

They might have to round up the cabelleros standing around waiting for trabajo in the parking lots before they get any bites from "higher quality" tenants.

• Like 1

I find the used car lots along that stretch of Shepherd much more palatable to my taste than the abandoned properties you may find elsewhere in the Heights. No matter how junky or rundown a place looks, there's an optimism to the neighborhood businesses that I find appealing. BTW, I like that Fiesta; it's like a quick trip to Mexico.

But I do find it puzzling that there seems to be so little interest in more upscale commercial development in the area.

Ive thought that the strip between Shepherd and Durham should be purchased by the city, cross streets eliminated at most intersections and a large greenspace created from the land that would be quite the opposite of the current situation. It would take quite a boatload of $ but its possible.

Ive thought that the strip between Shepherd and Durham should be purchased by the city, cross streets eliminated at most intersections and a large greenspace created from the land that would be quite the opposite of the current situation. It would take quite a boatload of $ but its possible.

In my dream, a commuter rail line would go north on Sheperd and South on Durham to the Woodlands. The strip between Sheperd and Durham would become high end apartments on the upper levels and businesses on the bottom. Will it ever happen? No but it would be a good use of space.