The Heights Information & Developments

jookyhc

In my dream, a commuter rail line would go north on Sheperd and South on Durham to the Woodlands. The strip between Sheperd and Durham would become high end apartments on the upper levels and businesses on the bottom. Will it ever happen? No but it would be a good use of space.

I always thought that it'd be a good route for a toll road connecting from 249 at Beltway 8 to Shepherd at Memorial Dr.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see bars replacing the existing businesses along Shepherd/Durham mainly because of parking issues. On Washington, you can park on the street or on side streets, but it's not as easy on Shepherd/Durham, and you couldn't make a parking lot big enough, given the shallowness, as was mentioned. I'd like to see it develop into an area with locally-owned retail places. People in the area already prefer locally owned restaurants, so why wouldn't they prefer locally owned retail stores? All it takes is a few people with some good ideas to get it going. Then it will entice further openings if they are successful. The problem is that the used car lots aren't going anywhere yet, and the business owner would need quite a bit of money to buy the used car lot and then take over with their business, which small family businesses don't have. Only chain stores would be able to do this, but they don't seem to be interested in opening up on Shepherd/Durham, which doesn't bother me at all. Anyway, if Shepherd/Durham does ever change over to locally-owned retail, I'd also like to see it reduced to fewer lanes to give the lots more depth with added sidewalks, bike paths, and more trees and green space. It really does have a decayed 20th century look, now that I think of it, and the best solution would be to come up with a new plan for it to have a cozier and more community feel to it. The way it looks now doesn't bother me that much, but I think a visual change of scenery in the right direction is always nice for a neighborhood. Another idea would be to have apartments with a layout similar to Brittany Place on 18th between the loop and Ella Blvd, only the architecture and landscaping would have a more current style.

I don't see bars replacing the existing businesses along Shepherd/Durham mainly because of parking issues. On Washington, you can park on the street or on side streets, but it's not as easy on Shepherd/Durham, and you couldn't make a parking lot big enough, given the shallowness, as was mentioned.

Forgive me for being blunt, but you have no idea what you are talking about.

• Like 1

I don't see bars replacing the existing businesses along Shepherd/Durham mainly because of parking issues. On Washington, you can park on the street or on side streets, but it's not as easy on Shepherd/Durham, and you couldn't make a parking lot big enough, given the shallowness, as was mentioned.

Use Google Earth to fly down the Shepherd/Durham corridor, then make a comparison flight over Washington Avenue. Then tell me again that there aren't enough parking lots or side streets to support a bar and club scene.

The fact is that the availability of parking is an issue which is an order of magnitude more problematic along Washington Avenue than it would be along Shepherd. Washington has fewer developed parking lots, very irregular street grids featuring huge gaps at Memorial Heights and Glenwood Cemetery as well as a massively disruptive railroad line just one block to the north, and out of the street grids that are intact, tightly-spaced townhome driveways eliminate vast amounts of potential on-street parking spaces.

Shhh! Don't tell anyone! Cheap used car lots are the auto enthusiast's secret place to find potentially restorable future classics at reasonable prices in this cash-for-clunkers era. Sure, there is a lot of junk, but there are diamonds among the trash for those who care to see.

(Last time I was over that way, I saw a Cactus Green 1999 Audi A4, just like my baby except a sedan and not white. Poor thing hadn't had the benefit of the ten years of TLC mine has had. They don't age well if not loved. Made me sad.)

Edited by marmer

Forgive me for being blunt, but you have no idea what you are talking about.

I grew up right there at 18th and T.C. Jester. I guess you're right. What I said didn't make sene. I was trying to say that if it will become like Washington is now, the parking would not be the same, because you cannot park on Shepherd/Durham Dr. itself. Yes, it has bigger parking lots than Washington, but the segment (I-10 to 610 N) is not lined head to toe with them. There are only a few that are decent sized, so the bars/clubs would have to be separated a bit along this drive. I don't know what it is about it, but I just don't see a bar scene over there; too close to Washington, which I think will have its nightlife for the long term, even as the owners who play follow the leader close up shop and move on after the property value goes up. The bar/club owners who want to invest in the community will take over.

Greater Heights Super Neighborhood Council

SUMMARY NOTES

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Note: Delegate action items appear in green, bold, italics lettering.

Note: Committee Action Items appear in purple, bold, italics lettering.

Vice President Glen Clement filled in this evening for President Mark Williamson, who was unable to attend. Glen called the Council to order at 6:34 PM and, subsequently, the minutes from the previous meeting were approved by the Delegates.

This evening, additional delegate authorization letters were submitted to Secretary Blake Masters. Of our 13 stakeholders, the Council has received notification of delegate appointments/elections from the following:

Did anyone notice that the rock/gravel parking spots on 14th just west of Heights (adjacent to the big New Orleans style homes) have been replaced with grass and a curb?

I saw some guys working out there a couple of weeks ago, but as I walked by yesterday, I noticed the gravel was gone and a curb had been put up. I was wondering if the city stepped in since that portion of the block has a very obvious "No Parking" posted.

Anyone have any information?

• 1 month later...

gallery_2051_88_10145.jpg

647 Arlington

as far as the 647 arlington, another sad aspect of that demo is that this (original) house has a little sister house next door. they were the same size and almost the same style. the demoed house was on the back of its lot, while the house that still stands is at the front of its lot. it was just a cute pairing of homes and one of those interesting blocks you notice when you go through the neighborhood. i really miss the pair of them- they always made me think of a couple of little old ladies... weird i know...

I saw that there is a "Habitation Realty" sign outside the new construction at 647 Arlington. (Yes, the house is still on the market.) I find it the height of ridiculousness that a so-called "green" real estate company is marketing the house that infamously replaced a 1910 two-story home that was so well-maintained that it was featured on the 1997 Houston Heights Home Tour.

Also saw this blurb on the home, from Habitation Realty: "Stunning Custom Heights Showcase home built by The Sullivan Brother’s [sic] with the finest materials and craftsmanship. Situated on a prominent corner lot on a prestigious tree lined street rich with history and character. Live green with low utility bills in this ultra energy efficient home featuring tankless water heater & manabloc mgmt system. Lenox 16 SEER AC,heat pump, and Energyguardspray foam insulation. Reclaimed oak floors,Old Chicago Brick patio, granite/marble countertops,operable window shutters, wood carriage garage and elevator ready." [Emphasis mine.]

Of course, thanks to this new construction, Arlington is now less prestigious, lined by fewer trees, less rich with history, and less rich with character. Oh, and less green. Way to go, Sullivan Brothers Builders and Habitation Realty; and way to go, whoever ends up buying this house and confirms that there is still a market for this type of thing in the Heights regardless of (1) the history of the property, and (2) the impact of the new construction on its neighbors and the neighborhood at large.

I would love it if the history of this property has something to do with how long the new construction has been on the market - there was some press coverage regarding the tearing down of the 1910 house. But maybe it's just overpriced. I think it's currently listed at $939k, but I don't know the pricing history.

Here's a photo showing the new construction and realtor's sign. You can also see, on the left, the "little sister" house that heights_yankee mentioned above.

3893353532_69af4f4495_b.jpg

Edited by tmariar

• 3 weeks later...

Wow! I know this is an old post, but I wanted to look at the houses being demolished and a picture of the house I purchased (1228 Arlington) was posted! Let me tell you, it was a nightmare and in hindsight, I would not have done it. The little bungalow was in very good condition compared to others I'd looked at...although I had no idea there were so many available for sale...but the City of Houston made it a painful and expensive process, along with the house movers being dishonest. Neighbors were not happy and complained, which I can understand since it was leaving The Heights, but at least it wasn't going to be razed. The request to move the house received the standard rejection with a 90-day waiting period, then problems with permits, etc. End result...the house moved a couple of months late, cut in half (I knew that up-front) and entire roof removed...the week Ike came through. Rains flooded the house and ruined the interior. A year later and I am still working on it. Shame, because it was livable the way that it was, with the exception of upgrading the wiring and plumbing.

sad.gif

Edited by bluedobie

Wow! I know this is an old post, but I wanted to look at the houses being demolished and a picture of the house I purchased (1228 Arlington) was posted! Let me tell you, it was a nightmare and in hindsight, I would not have done it. The little bungalow was in very good condition compared to others I'd looked at...although I had no idea there were so many available for sale...but the City of Houston made it a painful and expensive process, along with the house movers being dishonest. Neighbors were not happy and complained, which I can understand since it was leaving The Heights, but at least it wasn't going to be razed. The request to move the house received the standard rejection with a 90-day waiting period, then problems with permits, etc. End result...the house moved a couple of months late, cut in half (I knew that up-front) and entire roof removed...the week Ike came through. Rains flooded the house and ruined the interior. A year later and I am still working on it. Shame, because it was livable the way that it was, with the exception of upgrading the wiring and plumbing.

sad.gif

I'd be interested in seeing the work you're doing on it. Could you post pics (perhaps in a new thread at Houston Construction, Home Repair, and Improvement )?

sad.gif

Very interesting insight. Thank you for understanding the value of these houses. I've always wanted to know what happens to those relocated out of the neighborhood. One that used to be next door to us was moved to Brooksmith on the other side of North Main three years ago. They removed the roof and cleared the lot of all landscaping the former owner had worked so hard to establish during the approximately 10 years he lived there. A year later the house had a new roof, but remained unfinished. It has since been purchased by yet another rehabber and moved again. I have no idea where it is now.

While taking a rather circuitous route to the Target yesterday I came upon a rather forelorn-looking bungalow in an empty lot on the other side of the David Addicks studio. It was obviously adorable at one time, but now looks to be in very bad shape and is open to the elements. Who knows how long it is has been there. I wonder how many wind up this way? Does anyone have any additional information on the subject? It would be good to know because despite efforts to inform otherwise, there is still the perception that relocation is somehow a less offensive alternative to demolition. This is not true if the house is in one of the historic districts where each part contributes to the whole.

On a more positive note, one of the houses I believe was pictured in the previous post was not bulldozed. A year after the owners sought permission to demo they have returned to the historic commission with plans for an addition. Those plans received approval last Thursday. Yea!

^I saw a house like about a year and a half ago - it had 4310 on it and it was in a parking lot on Oliver near Center St. (posted below).

And yeah, I suppose moving the house is less offensive since it isn't being thrown in the dumpster like so many, but it is still an enormous feat to do so. And in my observations the replacements tend to be quite offensive. The root of the problem is irresponsible ownership, whether it is a homeowner that can't or won't do maintenance or an "investor" who sits on it and lets it rot.

3500vvp.jpg

I will post some pictures this evening. Originally came in to post about restoring the shiplap (didn't know what that was until the ceilings and walls were caving in from the rains!). Besides working full-time, I volunteer for a non-profit animal rescue and had purchased 5 acres in Montgomery a few years ago. Instead of building, it seemed I could relocate an old bungalow for close to the same cost and be "green" at the same time. The write-up denying my request to move it went on about losing it's relevance by being moved to the boonies. The Forestry Department (I believe that's the correct one...Dale Temple works there) make it difficult to obtain permits without ruining the house...making the height requirement be less than that of an 18-wheeler.

Adding insult to injury is the POA where it's now located absolutely, positively hate it and have given me nothing but grief over it. They would have preferred I remained in keeping with the majority of the other homeowners and moved in a doublewide! Besides the house being ruined, the property also had a lot of large trees go down. Not having insurance on the house (can't get insurance until it is put back together and the house mover's responsibility - as if they even had any - ended when they removed it from their trailer), it is been a long, expensive sanity test. My goal is to preserve as much as possible, although it probably would have been easier to remove all of the shiplap, dump it, and just put in sheetrock. A few coworkers helped the week of the hurricane when everyone was in that mode, the rest of it has been me working on it during the weekends when I'm able to get out there. In the end, I still believe I will have an adorable little home on my property!

Noticed house moving equipment beside the house on the NW corner of Heights and 11th. I believe I recall that a strip center was proposed here. People, let's get some zoning to stop this kind of intrusion into the Heights. Please.

Kudos to Evans-Davis and others to resolving these matters!

Noticed house moving equipment beside the house on the NW corner of Heights and 11th. I believe I recall that a strip center was proposed here. People, let's get some zoning to stop this kind of intrusion into the Heights. Please.

latest is the strip center will not be happening. http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/index.php?showtopic=21841

• 1 month later...

The old Muffler & Brake shop at the corner of Heights and Washington next to the Enterprise Rent-a-Car seems to be under going renovation/remodeling. The old roof was ripped off last week and they're rebuilding it now. Something tells me an owner isn't investing beau coup dollars so he can re-open his car repair shop. It's a large building with a decent sized lot. Has anyone heard what might be going on?

Looks like 1634 Harvard is slated for demolition -- there is a public notice sign in the front yard. Sorry I don't have a current pic, but here's one from Google Maps Street View. The place next door to it (1638 Harvard) was fixed up and sold earlier this year.

Ah I see now it is also listed in MLS:

http://realestate.ch...g/2757-69882904

It says "needs some updating" which I think is pretty accurate looking at the photos in the real estate listing -- it looks like a double-wide on the inside.

post-5429-12580950086273_thumb.jpg

Edited by heights

Looks like 1634 Harvard is slated for demolition -- there is a public notice sign in the front yard. Sorry I don't have a current pic, but here's one from Google Maps Street View. The place next door to it (1638 Harvard) was fixed up and sold earlier this year.

Ah I see now it is also listed in MLS:

http://realestate.ch...g/2757-69882904

It says "needs some updating" which I think is pretty accurate looking at the photos in the real estate listing -- it looks like a double-wide on the inside.

At least its being honest and natural.... with the carpet matching the drapes.

WOW... Look at the price! Has someone lost their mind?!

Edited by SaintCyr

I noticed a demolition sign in the side yard of 801 Pizer St yesterday. All the landscaping is cleared from the property.

05/28/2009 sale:

http://www.har.com/HomeValue/dispSoldDetail.cfm?MLNUM=185254

the board of the proctor plaza neighborhood assoc is going to the hearing to fight this attempted demo. while its little condolence, if the application is approved the ppna has pretty strong oversight in to what is built in its place due to the deed restrictions.

518 W 18th was actually moved to lower Garden Oaks. I saw it being moved in late July, and met the guy who planned on rehabbing it. He said he was re-doing a number of older homes that he had transplanted to somewhere around Judiway, I think. I've been wanting to go check out what he's doing.

He was particularly excited to be working on this house.

On the 1400 block of Herkimer, actually. (Not just to be picky, but so if anybody wishes to go look at it). Bungalow Revival is doing two other rehabs on that block, as well. These are just east of some of their earlier projects.

Is this the house that is jacked up in to the air? Are they making it in to a two story now? Bungalow Revival is doing beautiful work in my neck of the woods, God Bless Your Fuzzy Little Hearts!