The Heights Information & Developments

jookyhc

Massage place? The only adult thing that I know of are "smoochies" and the adult theater there.

As far as something else to talk about....I saw german shepherd running across the street last week...

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, anybody hear about HPD raiding the massage place on the Boulevard and I-10?

Yeah, I heard about it. Next to Subway as I recall in the article I read. Thought to be a "massage parlour" ends up truly being a real massage parlour whose clients are members of our local sports franchises.

Kaboom Books now at Houston @ Bayland. Anybody seen it? Spent much time talking to the co-owner of Big Mamou: expect to open in October, should start seeing prep work done on the site beginning this month.

Kaboom Books now at Houston @ Bayland. Anybody seen it? Spent much time talking to the co-owner of Big Mamou: expect to open in October, should start seeing prep work done on the site beginning this month.

Kaboom moved? My fiancee and I drive by the location on Studewood a lot and always say "we should go in there" as we drive past. Then one day the books were gone and the windows covered, so we figured we missed our chance. They should put up a big sign saying they moved.

Certainly looks like there's nothing going on at McCain's market on Heights Blvd....looks like the place is about to go out of business.

Maybe, but Mc Cain's does a lot of catering business (I was surprised by that one), maybe they'll hang in there.

On a different note, Antedote has a happy hour worth visiting, $2 Shiners M-F, 4-7pm. We're probably up there three days a week with our newborn and corgi.

I frequently eat at that subway next to the massage parlour, and there are some really high end vehicles parked outside of it. I've seen aston martin's, bmw M6s, masarati's, and a ferrari up there. I didn't know what it was, but it appeared to be some sort of high end "spa" type place. Didn't look suspicious though. I wonder why it was raided. Anyone know?

Has anybody seen the new Bungalow Revival project on W14th at Herkimer? It looks pretty awesome. It's a far cry from the blue-tarped box it was just a few months ago.

Haven't seen that one, but they are busy at my neighbor's near 8th and Arlington.

In other Heights news, my hibiscuses (hibisci?) and bougainvillea are loving this weather.

I finally tried Dry Creek, and my sandwich (the Creek Philly) was yummy and to be recommended.

Camphouse still looks closed.

Sorry, that's the best I could do.

Haven't seen that one, but they are busy at my neighbor's near 8th and Arlington.

In other Heights news, my hibiscuses (hibisci?) and bougainvillea are loving this weather.

I finally tried Dry Creek, and my sandwich (the Creek Philly) was yummy and to be recommended.

Camphouse still looks closed.

Sorry, that's the best I could do.

I am an East Ender but recently on recommendation purchased a commuter bicycle from West End Bicycles. I believe that is near or in the Heights. Great bike shop. Very knowledgeable staff. They should have warned me, however, about getting intoxicated and riding the bike...Trust me kids, bad idea!

I am an East Ender but recently on recommendation purchased a commuter bicycle from West End Bicycles. I believe that is near or in the Heights. Great bike shop. Very knowledgeable staff. They should have warned me, however, about getting intoxicated and riding the bike...Trust me kids, bad idea!

ha, did you ride drunk from the bike shop back to Eastwood? No wonder! West End Cycles is the shop on Durham, north of Washington?

ha, did you ride drunk from the bike shop back to Eastwood? No wonder! West End Cycles is the shop on Durham, north of Washington?

The bike shop is a few blocks east of Memorial Park on Blossom. No...I didn't ride it home drunk back to Eastwood. I was actually in Corpus Christi. I took my bike down there, trying to be good and not drinking and driving the company vehicle. So I rode my bicycle to a bar in a very iffy, industrial area. Several beers, a few shots, and one hot bartender later, I decide to ride back to my hotel. And honestly, I haven't really ridden a bike in years. Anyway, I am glad I had a helmet on because I hit the ground three times, one time HARD! My elbow is still messed up...oh well. Lesson learned. I survived the bike ride and didn't get robbed and I won't be doing that again anytime soon. But if you see a guy leaving Lucky's Pub and getting on a bicycle, please don't drive too close to me! :lol:

The bike shop is a few blocks east of Memorial Park on Blossom. No...I didn't ride it home drunk back to Eastwood. I was actually in Corpus Christi. I took my bike down there, trying to be good and not drinking and driving the company vehicle. So I rode my bicycle to a bar in a very iffy, industrial area. Several beers, a few shots, and one hot bartender later, I decide to ride back to my hotel. And honestly, I haven't really ridden a bike in years. Anyway, I am glad I had a helmet on because I hit the ground three times, one time HARD! My elbow is still messed up...oh well. Lesson learned. I survived the bike ride and didn't get robbed and I won't be doing that again anytime soon. But if you see a guy leaving Lucky's Pub and getting on a bicycle, please don't drive too close to me! :lol:

hey, they've finished pouring almost all the concrete on the bike trail from east DT to Macgregor Bayou. Some transitions are unfinished and you have to make a few hops under 1-45, as well as some of the cross streets, but you can now ride all the way. Did it Sunday, and it was a pleasant look into the backyards of the deep 3rd ward, through TSU, etc. A leisurely but interesting ride. Next time I'll have to stop at Lucky's after.

Some transitions are unfinished and you have to make a few hops under 1-45, as well as some of the cross streets, but you can now ride all the way.

I was wondering about that. i was riding on leeland and noticed it just ended. seems like some blacktop would be a quick temporary fix.

I've been thinking about McCain's lately. A good concept and ideal location, but the inventory is a bit too thin on necessities and too comprehensive on rubs, spices, hot sauces, etc.

Thus, it is never a 1-stopper. There are a couple of mini-groceries on South Congress in Austin (around Continental Club) that have really good, comprehensive inventories for their size. You could outfit an entire meal/cookout in 1 stop. I would really like to have something like that in the hood, and McCain's is the best candidate.

Are they prohibited from selling beer and wine by virtue of the dry ordinance?

I wish we had a "Chick-fil-A" off Heights Blvd. I can just picture it...corner location in a Queen Anne architecture style building.

14th and Herkimer "Bungalow Revival". It is coming along nicely...I remember seeing when they moved this house into the Heights.

Speaking of bike shops - Blue Line Bike Lab on White Oak is also a very good place. Don't let the graffiti scare you. They've been keeping my commuter bikes in shape for a while now. They have a totally different selection of bikes than West End, so it's worth it to check them out as well.

Antidote rocks! I find myself missing the bus an awful lot so I have an excuse to stop in there and have a cappucino while I wait for the next one.

McCain's is just a little too precious and overpriced to make it, I think. I agree that they need to stock more staples and less sauce.

And it's taken me more than two years, but I finally patronized Davis Hardware. Wow, that is a neighborhood institution, isn't it?

What going up between Yale and Heights on 11th? I imagine there's a thread but I had no luck searching. Maybe I'm thinking of 14th St...one of them has the car wash place and the other is destruction/construction. I should slow down and pay more attention next time.

EDIT: I think I found the thread, if this is where a new bank is going. Just says 11th where the HEB used to be, but I haven't been around there long enough to know where that was.

Edited by 20thStDad

What going up between Yale and Heights on 11th? I imagine there's a thread but I had no luck searching. Maybe I'm thinking of 14th St...one of them has the car wash place and the other is destruction/construction. I should slow down and pay more attention next time.

EDIT: I think I found the thread, if this is where a new bank is going. Just says 11th where the HEB used to be, but I haven't been around there long enough to know where that was.

@ W 13th, perhaps...wehre they have leveled the lot completely?

Isn't that where more townhomes are going up? My mind is not working right now, I will stop confusing people and just pay attention on my way home today. The one I'm thinking of looked like an old shopping center, and hasn't been completely leveled yet.

Isn't that where more townhomes are going up? My mind is not working right now, I will stop confusing people and just pay attention on my way home today. The one I'm thinking of looked like an old shopping center, and hasn't been completely leveled yet.

The old Ford dealership / Eckerd's at the corner of 11th and Yale is being refitted as multi-tenant retail.

hey, they've finished pouring almost all the concrete on the bike trail from east DT to Macgregor Bayou. Some transitions are unfinished and you have to make a few hops under 1-45, as well as some of the cross streets, but you can now ride all the way. Did it Sunday, and it was a pleasant look into the backyards of the deep 3rd ward, through TSU, etc. A leisurely but interesting ride. Next time I'll have to stop at Lucky's after.

That sounds great! I will give the trail a try this weekend. My bike rides do usually include an intermission at Lucky's...

very cute new baby pic!

very cute new baby pic!

Thanks! I am completely obsessed with her, which I think I am supposed to be at this point. Cutest baby ever, if you ask me. And there's no bias there.

Ok, I drove down Yale and got myself straight on what is where. Also ate at Someburger, which I thought was good for the price. But griddle-cooked meat can't beat fire cooked in my opinion.