George W. Bush Presidential Library At 2943 SMU Blvd.

what's so funny about liberals..their hatred for a man overshadows their rationality..especially when one with such colorful pics saved in their harddrive just for such occasions to post.

What's even funnier is the way far right-wing conservatives so unquestionably slobber over this dolt of a President and deflect ANY criticism with their tiered accusations of "hatred for a man". I don't hate the man-don't know him-I just hate what he represents.

Did you ever wonder why he garners so little respect and support from the majority of the nation? It may be one of the reasons there's no need to store his supporters pictures on your hard drive-the internet is drowning in them.

B)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this is not the political thread. it's the thread concerning the presidential library.

W. Texas steps up Bush library race, jabs SMU

Leader off-handedly refers to condo owner's suit, toots Tech's horn

By DIANE JENNINGS / The Dallas Morning News

Backers of a West Texas group trying to win the Bush presidential library are seeking to capitalize on a legal fight between a condo owner and SMU over land that he says the university needs for the coveted project in Dallas.

President Bush "doesn't want confrontation; he's not getting that in West Texas," David Miller, chairman of the West Texas Coalition, said in an interview with KCBD-TV in Lubbock.

In a written statement later, Mr. Miller said he doesn't know whether the lawsuit "against our friends at SMU" will affect the library competition. But, he said, the site selection committee made clear that the president and first lady Laura Bush "want to put their library where they feel most welcome and at home.".....the rest of the article.

this is not the political thread. it's the thread concerning the presidential library.

Backers of a West Texas group trying to win the Bush presidential library are seeking to capitalize on a legal fight between a condo owner and SMU over land that he says the university needs for the coveted project in Dallas.

President Bush "doesn't want confrontation; he's not getting that in West Texas," David Miller, chairman of the West Texas Coalition, said in an interview with KCBD-TV in Lubbock.

In a written statement later, Mr. Miller said he doesn't know whether the lawsuit "against our friends at SMU" will affect the library competition. But, he said, the site selection committee made clear that the president and first lady Laura Bush "want to put their library where they feel most welcome and at home.".....the rest of the article.

Maybe the condo owner could just rent out a room for the library-it won't take up that much space.

:P

B)

most news i have heard on it so far. thanks for the article :)

• 2 weeks later...

I think the West Texas coalition has put forth the biggest proposal yet with some $500 Million. I've seen the proposal, its quite nice. They definitely would value it more than the others in Dallas or Waco. It also, makes a crappy statement, if Bush opted to stick his library at a private school.

The reason Rice is not going after the George W Bush Presidential Library is that they are holding out in hopes of getting the Jeb Bush Library after his terms are up. Jeb is a Texan, after all, so his presidential library should be in this state.

The reason Rice is not going after the George W Bush Presidential Library is that they are holding out in hopes of getting the Jeb Bush Library after his terms are up. Jeb is a Texan, after all, so his presidential library should be in this state.

GREAT idea!!! I can't WAIT. A great tie-in (since he never went to Rice) would be an exhibit about his son, George P. who actually DID go to Rice.

Something like this:

On December 31, 1994, Bush showed up at 4 AM at the Miami home of a former girlfriend. He proceeded to break into the house via the woman's bedroom window, and then began arguing with his ex's father. Bush, then a Rice University student, soon fled the scene. But he returned 20 minutes later to drive his Ford Explorer across the home's front lawn, leaving wide swaths of burned grass in his wake. Young Bush avoided arrest when the victims declined to press charges.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/georgep1.html

The only thing more comical than Jeb as President would be a Bush library at Rice.

B)

The reason Rice is not going after the George W Bush Presidential Library is that they are holding out in hopes of getting the Jeb Bush Library after his terms are up.

Not everyone shares your pessimism. Steps are being taken to prevent future cases of voting fraud.

smu steps up to the plate.

dallas morning news

"In an aggressive bid to win the Bush presidential library, SMU envisions a complex of buildings that could include a high-tech museum and archives, a school of politics, a conference center and offices, all aimed at raising the school's national profile and making it a prime destination for scholars and tourists.

A spokesman for the National Archives in Washington confirmed that Southern Methodist University retained Hillier Architecture of Princeton, N.J., to prepare a conceptual master plan for the coveted project, tentatively plotted in the southeastern quadrant of the campus, bounded roughly by Airline Road, North Central Expressway and SMU Boulevard. "

more

smu steps up to the plate.

dallas morning news

"In an aggressive bid to win the Bush presidential library, SMU envisions a complex of buildings that could include a high-tech museum and archives, a school of politics, a conference center and offices, all aimed at raising the school's national profile and making it a prime destination for scholars and tourists.

A spokesman for the National Archives in Washington confirmed that Southern Methodist University retained Hillier Architecture of Princeton, N.J., to prepare a conceptual master plan for the coveted project, tentatively plotted in the southeastern quadrant of the campus, bounded roughly by Airline Road, North Central Expressway and SMU Boulevard. "

more

I would like to see that here!!!

The Dubya Library at SMU is the PERFECT fit.

It's private.

It's expensive to attend.

It's located in the "park cities."

AND, in the 80s, the BMW driving yuppies with Mustang Mania fever were doing more coke than even the old Prez!

Plus, it might be the only school in Texas foolish enough to think that hosting that facility will bolster it's academic reputation.

The U of Dallas location could really be something spectacular. It sits on a hill near the current Texas Stadium, and with the city of Irving's help, could probably occupy that land when the Cowboys are gone.

The SMU proposal could be really unique itself. That's a really tight squeeze, so you'd have something more unique and urban than you'd get elsewhere. Not to mention it being right on Central Expressway and right across from Mockingbird Station. There are already talks of a pedestrian bridge to go over Central in this location. Not to mention, that area has lots of plans in the works.

Little tidbits that I've not seen mentioned here:

- The Bushes lived in nearby Preston Hollow for a while

- Laura Bush is an SMU alumnus

- The Bushes have purchased a Highland Park Mansion and apparently a Turtle Creek residence of some kind.

- Believe it or not, Dallas officials are supporting the U of Dallas proposal. the location would literally be right at the Dallas/Irving border, would likely spur development on the Trinity River Corridor, and the name of the school has Dallas in it. Its an interesting take, that makes a lot of sense. I don't think Dallas officials are against the SMU location, but just trying to increase their chances.

It doesn't have to be. I know the Clinton library wasn't built on a university campus. All jokes aside, this thing is going to be seriously empty. The presidential libaries began to act as repositories for papers from each administration. Is there anything this administration will release to the public? I've always thought they were unnecessarily secretive about everything.

Houston DOES NOT need this thing for its image. Its bad enough that we've got Barbara Bush telling Katrina refugees that they are better off now. The other day in the paper I saw that she had donated money to some Katrina cause, BUT stipulated that it be spent on Neil Bush's educational software company. How generous. :rolleyes:

It doesn't have to be. I know the Clinton library wasn't built on a university campus. All jokes aside, this thing is going to be seriously empty. The presidential libaries began to act as repositories for papers from each administration. Is there anything this administration will release to the public? I've always thought they were unnecessarily secretive about everything.

It will be interesting to see just what Bush will allow to be released. They've gotten so secretive that they are refusing to release papers from PREVIOUS administrations. They've even started RE-classifying papers that had been previously de-classified. Some of it has been on the internet for years, only to be re-classified.

As for why they often place them on campuses, the libraries' primary purpose is for research. Many former presidents also have college departments associated with the library. Bush himself has made the establishment of a "Bush School of International Relations and Public Policy", or some similar school, a requirement.

I'm not sure how valuable a degree in "International Relations" from the Bush School would be.

it appears to be a two man race for the bush library, although baylor has yet to present a proposal. if the primary factors in determining the final site are location, easy access, hotels, etc., that is, already a destination location, waco, with only a regional airport and single interstate seems an unlikey candidate. i'm assuming this is the primary reason the west texas proposal was cut.

recent articles:

If Dallas wins Bush site, it still must build an attraction worth trip

If you build it, be sure RVs can come

Archived