Houston Ave Safety Improvements

Sounds like it's going to cost Whitmire and the church 10x more money to fix their F*kc up.🤣💸 He should have just left it alone, there was nothing wrong with it except for the church's whinning about it. 😢

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BeerNut said:

People should start hammering Whitmire if even hints at removing any biking/pedestrian infrastructure. "Houston Ave, never forget"

Start now. CM Castillo spoke tonite at the Heights SN meeting. He said he will continue to hold Whitmire accountable for his actions. He talked about the lack of transparency and asked that each of us email the mayor about Houston Ave. He stressed that that's the only way he can have the leverage necessary to continue speaking on the issue. He also reaffirmed that people are not happy about the way the mayor handled this. The vast majority of Houstonians want these safety improvements. Let me be clear, all roadway projects are threatened at the moment. That includes Phase 2 of Shepherd/Durham, 11th St, North Main, etc. Take 5 minutes and let him know you are not happy. 

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 6

a gas line broken, and a water line broken, it's as if some omnipotent being is telling us that the pedestrian improvements should have been kept.

all we need now is for the company doing the work to go bankrupt in the middle of the project for my bingo card to be filled.

On 2/21/2024 at 8:30 AM, samagon said:

a gas line broken, and a water line broken, it's as if some omnipotent being is telling us that the pedestrian improvements should have been kept.

all we need now is for the company doing the work to go bankrupt in the middle of the project for my bingo card to be filled.

(apparently my post was deleted during the site update). 

Honestly at this point if they unearthed a massive ancient pyramid under the road which forced Houston Ave to be closed permanently, I wouldn't even be surprised... 

• Haha 3

On 2/27/2024 at 11:41 AM, j_cuevas713 said:

. dude you made my heart sink to my ass

He did go on a bit of a tirade about "anti-car activists" from the previous administration today.

If anybody from the ultra-pragmatist Turner administration is an "anti-car activist," I wonder what the guy would think of me.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, 004n063 said:

He did go on a bit of a tirade about "anti-car activists" from the previous administration today.

If anybody from the ultra-pragmatist Turner administration is an "anti-car activist," I wonder what the guy would think of me.

Anyone trying to cross the street safely is an "anti-car activist." He said it wasn't about the church, which was another lie. He tried to call out Mario because he rode with Chief Finner the day before he was inaugurated. The disrespect he's showing our city council members is insane. At some point Mario Castillo is going to have to demand accountability and not be so polite. Tiffany Thomas and many other city council members already don't like him. The mayor doesn't care about bike lanes, safe infrastructure, Prop B, etc. He keeps talking about the previous administration and failing to live in the present. He even said "they knew what they were doing cutting Houston Ave down to two lanes. Well NO SHIT moron, the whole point was to slow drivers down. I don't see any new on street bike lanes being built. He's not opposed to off street, which is where advocates are likely to pivot. This guy is set in his ways and it's not going to get better. What makes it worse is at some point he's going to have to meet with other mayors from other cities, and he's already talked bad about Chicago, NYC, and LA. He's making Houston look really bad, and I wouldn't be surprised if those other cities are literally laughing at us. 

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 7

How soon can we vote to recall someone? Seriously though, I hope he never lives Houston Ave. down.

ETA: Also, I wonder what his thoughts are on removing the Pierce Elevated since he seems to be so concerned about firefighters and police officers getting to Houston Ave. from 45 North. 🤔

Edited by Some one
  • Like 6

17 minutes ago, Some one said:

How soon can we vote to recall someone? Seriously though, I hope he never lives Houston Ave. down.

ETA: Also, I wonder what his thoughts are on removing the Pierce Elevated since he seems to be so concerned about firefighters and police officers getting to Houston Ave. from 45 North. 🤔

For real. I didn't vote for him and I'm sure some people will look at me crazy for that but this was my reason.

• Like 4

Mayor Whitmire defends decision to remove Houston Avenue medians

Whitmire denied that Trinity Downtown church had anything to do with his decision to direct Houston Public Works to tear down the medians and curbs that were installed as a pedestrian improvement project last December. The first time Whitmire learned of the median project was just minutes into the start of the New Year when he rode along with Houston Police Chief Troy Finner on his first night in office. It was Finner who pointed out that these medians were "a public safety issue," Whitmire said.

Whitmire condemned the median as "shoddy work"....

... fails to address the hasty removal that busted BOTH a water line and gas line, driving up expenditures compared to the original installation.  

Make it make sense!

Edited by __nevii
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, 004n063 said:

Looking at the clips he spoke of “anti-car activists” in the prior administration but also in the present tense as misrepresenting the whole Houston Avenue debacle.

Rather than name-calling (both sides) it might be time to rethink the approach of dealing with this mayor.  He’s a swamp creature and is used to dirty politics fighting.  A lot of emotions flying around…

• Like 3

On 2/20/2024 at 10:38 PM, j_cuevas713 said:

Start now. CM Castillo spoke tonite at the Heights SN meeting. He said he will continue to hold Whitmire accountable for his actions. He talked about the lack of transparency and asked that each of us email the mayor about Houston Ave. He stressed that that's the only way he can have the leverage necessary to continue speaking on the issue. He also reaffirmed that people are not happy about the way the mayor handled this. The vast majority of Houstonians want these safety improvements. Let me be clear, all roadway projects are threatened at the moment. That includes Phase 2 of Shepherd/Durham, 11th St, North Main, etc. Take 5 minutes and let him know you are not happy. 

What is the best way to email the mayor? I doubt he would even read an email. It is infuriating that they don't want to make us into a city that is more livable! All anyone has to do is go to the Heights Bike trail to see the hundreds of people biking, walking, roller blading etc to see how successful it can be. The Heights is probably one of - if not the best - example of what a neighborhood can be. The surge in prices there prove that people want to get out of their cars at least once they get home from work.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Dakota79 said:

What is the best way to email the mayor? I doubt he would even read an email. It is infuriating that they don't want to make us into a city that is more livable! All anyone has to do is go to the Heights Bike trail to see the hundreds of people biking, walking, roller blading etc to see how successful it can be. The Heights is probably one of - if not the best - example of what a neighborhood can be. The surge in prices there prove that people want to get out of their cars at least once they get home from work.

mayor@houstontx.gov and CC every council member

districta@houstontx.gov

districtb@houstontx.gov

districtc@houstontx.gov

districtd@houstontx.gov

districte@houstontx.gov

districtf@houstontx.gov

districtg@houstontx.gov

districth@houstontx.gov

districti@houstontx.gov

districtj@houstontx.gov

districtk@houstontx.gov