Katz's Deli & Bar Montrose At 616 Westheimer Rd.

Gary

the business I work for now used to deliever to Katz's (but I think only the Austin location) and we used to deliever pickles to Kenny & Ziggy's (before he went to someone else) but Kahns deli...I remember my dad's company doing business with that guy. He's REALLY nice! :)

I only went to Katz's once (I live too far from there to frequently go) but the only thing that irratated my dad about the place was that the disabled had to take an elevator upstairs. My grandfather (before he passed away) was with a walker and we would have to through people to go around to going upstairs and its a big hassle.

I have been to Kenny and ziggy's once as well. ALOT of food but good food!!

I had the Blintze's at Katz's and at Kenny and Ziggy's.

I vaguely remember "Gueggenheims"? (is that how you spell it?)

I LOVE homemade Matzah ball soup!!! (and Gilfete fish) :9

okay I admit I love Passover Sedars! (sit through a reading, sit on comfy chairs and eat) isnt' that what jews do on EVERY Jewish Holiday?

Passover -Sedar

Hannukah -dinner

Purim - candy

High Holidays - apples and honey (and then you fast on one day and eat at sundown)

I can't think of any others.

Right now my dad was working on getting a Nathans hotdog here. But I think that fell through. I haven't heard him mention it lately.

there's also bibas (i love greek food)

and isn't chapultepec open 24 hours?

bibas is straight gangsta, i heard they got slot machines upstairs, hehe

i live across the street from chapultepec and since the new ownership i gotta say the prices have gone up and the quality has gone down.

as far as katz; i actually went there tonight and the tables were dirty or that nasty disinfectant film on the table? The fried pickles were ok, my yankee pot roast was ok, the rye was a joke, the service was fine; but the prices!?!?!, seriously wack, you gotta be making bank to afford that joint, so i only go once every blue moon. Also i noticed that their sizes have gone down since the last time i ate there, now it's regualr and NY size, used to be just one size (NY).

I'll still go there mostly cuz there open late and houston is really limited on late night choices.

edit: btw chapultepec is open till 4am m-th and 24hours on the weekend

the business I work for now used to deliever to Katz's (but I think only the Austin location) and we used to deliever pickles to Kenny & Ziggy's (before he went to someone else) but Kahns deli...I remember my dad's company doing business with that guy. He's REALLY nice! :)

I only went to Katz's once (I live too far from there to frequently go) but the only thing that irratated my dad about the place was that the disabled had to take an elevator upstairs. My grandfather (before he passed away) was with a walker and we would have to through people to go around to going upstairs and its a big hassle.

I have been to Kenny and ziggy's once as well. ALOT of food but good food!!

I had the Blintze's at Katz's and at Kenny and Ziggy's.

I vaguely remember "Gueggenheims"? (is that how you spell it?)

I LOVE homemade Matzah ball soup!!! (and Gilfete fish) :9

okay I admit I love Passover Sedars! (sit through a reading, sit on comfy chairs and eat) isnt' that what jews do on EVERY Jewish Holiday?

Passover -Sedar

Hannukah -dinner

Purim - candy

High Holidays - apples and honey (and then you fast on one day and eat at sundown)

I can't think of any others.

Right now my dad was working on getting a Nathans hotdog here. But I think that fell through. I haven't heard him mention it lately.

Nothing would make me happier! I love Nathan's. :wub: I used to eat at the one across from the WTC all the time.

vegetable puns are the worst!

:D

wait - food puns are the wurst

:rolleyes:

:rolleyes: indeed.

As has been said:Buns are the lowest form of wheat. (That one makes even me groan.)

But lettuce just bury these puns. May they rest in peas. No more rye comments.

I've generally had really good experiences at Katz's. Only once, at breakfast on New Year's Day two years ago, have I had bad service. That day our waiter was very rude, and extremely slow to take our orders and bring out drinks (which he never refilled), and our food arrived cold, probably because it was ready 10 minutes before he decided to bring it to us. They were not the least bit busy that morning so there was really no excuse for the poor service.

Other than that, the food has always been very good and I've had friendly, prompt service.

As for the prices, they don't seem that high to me. But then to me an average meal out is going to cost $10-15.

That's the key for me: Late hours! After a night of bar- and club-hopping, Katz's, Mai's, and House of Pies hit the spot. :) Are there any other places open post-1/2AM?

Mama's Cafe...a very special diner of comfy foods that is open until 4 am in the outro-Loop Westheimer area.

West Gray and Biba's Greek are next door to each other in the W. Gray corridor, open 24 hours but I don't know as of now. Biba's is OK; I've had better gyros elsewhere but after last call, it'll do nicely.

Tan Tan, Hong Kong Food Street, Confucious, three late night Chinese cafes off the Bellaire/Beltway 8 axis, open until 2 am, 3 am weekends.

Bodard's and Sinh Sinh, two Chinese/Vietnamese spots in the same area as the latter, same times.

My wife and I can certainly vouch for Tan Tan, Sinh Sinh and Confucious...we never disagree about going there to eat at whatever time. It's great food for a great price. I have yet to eat at the others.

There are also late night Pakistani cafes if you are into spicy halal Muslim food. Think Indian food with more meat orientation. There is Ali Baba's on the corner of Kirkwood/Bissonnet. Others abound if you drive around nearby. Open until 2 am, 3 am on weekends. I love Ali Baba's. The lamb biryani never does me wrong. It can help a hangover...or make it worse in other folks.

And they say Houston has no late night food?

Oh and Katz's? We've eaten there once...and that was about the time it opened in late '99 or so. I had the chicken soup, which was OK but I can make it better and heartier for half the price. My wife does not care for the place.

bibas is straight gangsta, i heard they got slot machines upstairs, hehe

i live across the street from chapultepec and since the new ownership i gotta say the prices have gone up and the quality has gone down.

as far as katz; i actually went there tonight and the tables were dirty or that nasty disinfectant film on the table? The fried pickles were ok, my yankee pot roast was ok, the rye was a joke, the service was fine; but the prices!?!?!, seriously wack, you gotta be making bank to afford that joint, so i only go once every blue moon. Also i noticed that their sizes have gone down since the last time i ate there, now it's regualr and NY size, used to be just one size (NY).

I'll still go there mostly cuz there open late and houston is really limited on late night choices.

edit: btw chapultepec is open till 4am m-th and 24hours on the weekend

Maybe times have changed. I always found Biba's to be more on the quiet end of the late night food spectrum.

And Houston is better on late night choices compared to San Diego.

• 3 months later...

I've eaten at Katz, it sucks. They had carpet upstairs that didn't look like its ever been cleaned. The food, is average at best, Jason's Deli is far superior. Wait staff, I don't remember. Plus is just had a run down feel for the prices we were paying. This aint New York buddy.

• 3 weeks later...
So Coog, your denying my culinary expertise? :P

They have an amazing Russian Dressing. It goes very well on the sammy's.

I know I have said this in a previous post but FireHouse Philly's was the BEST cheese steak EVER (RIP). My friends and I still talk about that place.

Have you ever been to Geno's or Pat's in Philly. I am not sure how any Philly Steak could be those. Heavenly.

Have you ever been to Geno's or Pat's in Philly. I am not sure how any Philly Steak could be those. Heavenly.

I'm not so sure. The Cheez-Whiz thing just doesn't work for me. That said, any sub shop in that part of the work can usually dish up a great cheesesteak. :D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Katz's Deli owner Barry Katz is opening the first spin-off of his New York-style deli in The Woodlands.

Katz's Express, located at 19075 Interstate 45 North in the Portofino Center, will open on Sept. 15.

The restaurant will serve same fare found at Houston's Katz's Deli and Bar, located at 616 Westheimer, but with express service.

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/stories...63&hbx=e_du

• The title was changed to Katz's Deli & Bar Montrose
  • The title was changed to Katz's Deli & Bar Montrose At 616 Westheimer Rd.

Archived