Katz's Deli & Bar Montrose At 616 Westheimer Rd.

Gary

Hey everyone, A buddy and I went to Katz yesterday and I've got to say, I had the best Philly cheese steak in history. Seriously, the meat was very good with very little fat, the cheese had a wonderful but not to rich flavor and the french bread was toasted to perfection. The price was a little high, ($9.50) but it was worth it. The service was also very good although it was a Sunday and fairly slow.

Does anyone frequent the place? Is it this good all the time?

Thats funny, I've only been a few times but found the staff to be rude every time. Once my wife got runny eggs for breakfast when she ordered over-medium and the waitress tried to tell her that was what she got. I like the food, I do think it is expensive, but I've had bad luck with the help.

Hey everyone, A buddy and I went to Katz yesterday and I've got to say, I had the best Philly cheese steak in history. Seriously, the meat was very good with very little fat, the cheese had a wonderful but not to rich flavor and the french bread was toasted to perfection. The price was a little high, ($9.50) but it was worth it. The service was also very good although it was a Sunday and fairly slow.

We're talking about the place that never klosez? I thought that the quality of the food did not refelct the high prices. I've had food just a good for less money.

I've been satisfied every time I have gone there. The waiters are always nice, and the food is always good.

Deep fried dill pickles - YUM !!!!!

Wow, I'm amazed at the responses. Up to now, I've never heard anyone say a good word about Katz'. And the response seems to be nearly unanimously in favor of Katz'.

I'm still sticking with Kahn's Deli in Rice Village for reubens and corned beef sandwiches.

And I stand by South Philly Steaks on Scott Street for cheesesteaks.

Katz's was a tradition for me and my wife. With her family in Minnesota, and mine in New York, we'd go there for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner. Houston needs more places like Katz's that are open 24 hours and holidays.

Two words: Cheesecake shake.

Frank's Pizza in downtown is open 'til 3 A.M. on Fridays and Saturdays.

Two days a week doesn't cut it, especially for those of us who work weekends.

It's been two years since we left Houston, and my wife STILL talks about Frank's pizza rolls. They would give her horrible stomach aches, but they tasted so good she'd keep going back for more. Poor thing. :blush:

TimmyChan-

South Philly Steaks on Scott is the bomb. Had them before a tailgate this year and now I want them every time (If I am not hankering for Frenchy's) I head to UH for a game. Story was told to me that the man who opened it had a kid that went to UH who missed Philly Steaks. The dad saw an opportunity, moved from Philly, and opened on Scott!

Ok, I've heard some about these pickles, what are they and are they really that good?

The pickles are OK. They're not great. They taste like the ones my mother would make, so I guess that makes them special -- because they don't taste like they came from a store.

The matzo ball soup recipe seems to change every few months. It's always good, but the quality, texture, quantity, and presentation seem to be in constand flux.

The pickles are OK. They're not great. They taste like the ones my mother would make, so I guess that makes them special -- because they don't taste like they came from a store.

The matzo ball soup recipe seems to change every few months. It's always good, but the quality, texture, quantity, and presentation seem to be in constand flux.

Am I correct in assuming that the pickles are fried?

That's the key for me: Late hours! After a night of bar- and club-hopping, Katz's, Mai's, and House of Pies hit the spot. :) Are there any other places open post-1/2AM?

Dont forget:

Spanish Flower

Ruchi's (all of them)

West Gray Cafe

There are others but I havent tried them.

http://www.b4-u-eat.com/houston/restaurant...ine/24-hour.asp

Archived