Shady Acres Information & Developments

shady 75

It is important that Shady Acres residents attend or give the SACC Officers comments as to what city improvements they want from the city. Millions of dollars of property have been added in the last ten years but no capital improvement has been added to Shady Acres. It is time we get our fair share of tax dollars. The adage, "The squeaky wheel gets the grease." will ring true with your presence. If you are unable to attend, email your name and comments to shadyacresnews@yahoo.com For example, do you want to see the

• Creation of a dog park in the Shady Acres area?
  • Intersection street light at E TC Jester and W 18?
  • Repair of the W 18 bridge?
  • Improved drainage throughout Shady Acres
  • Improvement of Wright-Bembry Park that borders W 22/W 23

To see a list of recommended Capital Improvement for Shady Acres, click the link.

The City of Houston will conduct combined public meetings on the City's FY2009 Annual Operating Budget, FY2010-2014 Capital Improvement Plan (CIP), and 2008 Annual Consolidated Plan. Since 1984, the City has held public meetings to obtain citizen input before preparation of the operating budget and capital improvement plan. These meetings provide citizens the opportunity to participate in the budget process through contributing comments and suggestions about needed services and improvements. Citizen Request Forms will be provided at each meeting for your comments/suggestions

H - Vacant

Thu., Jan. 29

6:30 to 8:30 p.m.

West End Multi-Service Center

170 Heights Blvd.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Houston Police Department Positive Interaction Program (PIP)

1602 State Street

Houston Police Officers Union Building

7:00-8:15 p.m.

January 28, 2009

Shady Acres is located in the Central Patrol Division 2.

Positive: Largest percentage of drop of crime from 2007 to 2008 in the Greater Heights, double digit decrease

Definition:

Robbery: Taking of property when an individual is approached by the perpetrator

Burglary: Taking of property when no one is there.

Negative: THERE HAVE BEEN 4 HOME INVASIONS (ROBBERY) IN THE HEIGHTS AREA SINCE THE START OF THE YEAR. All by different individuals. Addresses include 27, Beauchamp, E 12, and Alston

CURRENTLY THE HEIGHTS IS UNDER HIGH PRIORITY. CURRENTLY MORE PATROL CARS/UNMARKED POLICE CARS ARE PATROLLING IN THE GREATER HEIGHTS.

Public Questions:

• Why is there a 4 hours plus response time once I call HPD?

Minor crimes, such as burglary of motor vehicles, will take a backseat to robberies.

• Why does the HPD not put an alert for major crime sprees?

As a government agency, people are innocent before being proven guilty. When HPD reaches a point of certainty, HPD will then contact the media. Suggestion: Use neighborhood web forums for information.

• Give me some crime prevention tips.

Do not fill your gas tank in the late evenings.

Always lock your doors and windows.

Do not open your door in the evening unless you are expecting the person.

• Have you noticed an increase in DWI arrests in the Washington Corridor?

Defenitely, way up

• In my neighborhood, we are experiencing a rash of burglary of motor vehicles.

If there is a cluster/spike of crime, then HPD can attack it with more patrol. A crime bulletin is then created for that specific area. If it is sporadic, then it is not on a high priority list. Suggestion: Always make a police report.

I was at that PIP meeting-- been going since 2005---this was a huge turnout--maybe 60 people? It's hard to get a straight answer at these things and lots of the talk is antedotal about past problems and how they were handled in a positive way and not too much specific about the poroblem that everyone showed up over----- still from i could glean from the comments-- one of the "robbers" walked into a house that had left it's door unlocked-- another house answered a door late at night--there will be a sketch of one of the suspects in tomorows news--

here's what I suggest

Thanks for passing on some of the information/advice from the meeting.

I wonder if the not filling up your gas tank late at night advice is aimed at decreasing crime at gas stations or at home. I'm assuming the former - if it's the latter, I don't see why the advice would be gas station specific.

Thanks for passing on some of the information/advice from the meeting.

I wonder if the not filling up your gas tank late at night advice is aimed at decreasing crime at gas stations or at home. I'm assuming the former - if it's the latter, I don't see why the advice would be gas station specific.

If an area hardens and has very few soft targets, criminal element is likely to find another neighborhood to operate in, or stop the crimes for a while. The whole neighborhood benefits, houses included.

If an area hardens and has very few soft targets, criminal element is likely to find another neighborhood to operate in, or stop the crimes for a while. The whole neighborhood benefits, houses included.

Sounds right to me. I was just wondering if there was something specific motivating the gas station advice - if they are especially dangerous at night compared to the grocery store, or neighborhood bars, restaurants, clubs, etc. Could be.

During Christmas, a college student was shot to death in the West Oaks mall area while getting gas at 9 pm.

The captain at the meeting referred these places as "Stop and Rob."

you may remember this also happened 3 times in the west u area last year and once at the galleria. sounds like good advice.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Please join us for the next general meeting:

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

7pm - 8:30pm

at the SPJST Lodge Annex

1435 Beall St @ W.15th St

Guest Speaker -- Karen Derr

Also on the agenda:

[*]C.O.P. [Citizens On Patrol] Update

[*]Friends of Ella update

• 6 months later...

Shady Acres Civic Club General Meeting Agenda

(October 20, 2009)

(Lodge Annex 1435 Beall Street (At W. 15th Street)

(7:00 PM Starting Time to 8:30 PM Estimated Ending Time)

1) Opening Gavel … Call to Order @ 7:00 PM

2) Pledge of Allegiance *

3) President’s Comments

4) Minutes from previous meeting to be approved

5) Treasurer’s Report

6) Old Business

a] Crime and La Bola Loca shootings

1) Update from City Hall Pop-Off

b] C.O.P. [Citizens On Patrol] Update

c] Friends of Ella update of the esplanades

d] Greater Heights Super Neighborhood (Pat Nicholls)

7) New Business

a] Nominations and elections for next year

b] Membership fees (change)

c] Board of Directors Insurance

cool.gif Guest Speakers (7:45 PM)

a] Representative of Houston City Councilman “H” – Ed Gonzales

b] Candidate for City Council At Large #1 – Karen Derr

9) Final Announcement:

On Thursday, December 3rd - SACC Meeting/ Holiday party

for Officer’s elections @ 7:00 PM

Golden Cafe Chinese Restaurant (stay for dinner after – separate checks)

1430 W 19th St, Houston, TX 77008

Get directions: Call - (713) 869-8883 (or go online)

• 1 year later...

Hello. My wife and I are moving back to Texas from New Mexico this September. We have a 14-month old daughter and have been perusing a number of townhomes (within the loop) and free-standing dwellings in The Heights. Specifically, we have targeted the Shady Acres area as the prices seem fairly reasonable. Much in the way of conflicting information from our realtor and my (metrosexual) Houstonite brother. We will be looking at some places in person in a few weeks, but I wanted to know in advance whether Shady Acres is a viable option. Specifically: 1) safety? 2) other young families? 3) proximity to restaurants/grocery stores/etc? 4) potential over the next several years? Many thanks for anyone and everyone's insight!

Shady Acres is a smart choice. Also check out just outside the loop in Garden Oaks, Oak Forest and some surrounding neighborhoods (I'm not as familiar, but lots of people are buying there too.) Downside is older, smaller homes, but upside is great yards, sleepy streets, beautiful established neighborhoods.

We've lived in Shady Acres since '08 and are very happy. We have a similar aged daughter as well, and safety, other families proximity to EVERYTHING is great. Shady Acres has the benefit of being right at almost every major highway (easy access to 610, I-10, 290, 45, 59...) Potential over next few years seems positive. We've seen probably a $50k increase in home value personally (although we won't know for sure until someone sells I guess) in three years. Not bad considering the rest of the country, and even most of Houston which has remained either flat, dropped, or seen marginal increases to my (admittedly light) knowledge.

I know of a home (next door) that is just like ours (roughly 2400+ sq feet, 3 yrs old, 3 bed, 3 bath, 2 story, sensible floor plan, 2 car garage, private street, etc etc) that isn't on the market yet but will be going on soon. Barely lived in as the owner traveled a lot for work. Contact me here with a private message if you want to know more and I might be able to put you in touch with owner/realtor.

Highly recommend this area in case you can't tell. We're very happy. Other issue to look into is schools, and I am not as knowledgable on that either- our daughter will go to a different district as we have a teacher in the family. But I know Houston can be challenging in terms of matching good schools with where you want to live.

Good luck

Hello. My wife and I are moving back to Texas from New Mexico this September. We have a 14-month old daughter and have been perusing a number of townhomes (within the loop) and free-standing dwellings in The Heights. Specifically, we have targeted the Shady Acres area as the prices seem fairly reasonable. Much in the way of conflicting information from our realtor and my (metrosexual) Houstonite brother. We will be looking at some places in person in a few weeks, but I wanted to know in advance whether Shady Acres is a viable option. Specifically: 1) safety? 2) other young families? 3) proximity to restaurants/grocery stores/etc? 4) potential over the next several years? Many thanks for anyone and everyone's insight!

I have lived in Shady Acres for eight years now. In 2003, most people thought I was nuts due to the overrun lots, abandonned homes, dilapidated houses/businesses, lack of national stores and so on. However, that has all changed in the last few years. My property value has increased at least 40 percent. Home prices are very stable in this area. In the last real estate home report by the Houston Chronicle, foreclosure rates are less than 1% for Shady Acres.

1. Safety: Just don't park your cars in the street or driveway. I highly recommend you park it in your garage. We have had several issues with tires/rims being stolen, cars being broken into for Ipod/GPS/Laptops, and just vandalism of vehicles. I personally rather clear my garage of clutter than deal with a broken window. Another issue I noticed is the theft of yard tools from opened garages. Living in the city, you just have to be cognizant of your surroundings.

2. My patch of neighborhood has tons of newborns. Out of ten homes, four couples just had a newborn within the last year. The census did note that this area has seen a resurgence of yuppies (20s-40s).

3. Tons of Mexican restaurants. In the next few months, a wine bar is opening up on W 20 and a pizza/hoagie restaurant on W 23 and two new Mexcian restaurants on Ella and W 26. You will not starve here.

Wal-Mart is coming within a year on I-10 and Yale and that will compete with Krogers (national grocer). If I am not mistaken, the Krogers on W 11 is listed as one of the largest store in the chain in the Southwestern part of the US. We have Foodarama on W 18 with HEB Grocery.

4. Potential=Growth and property value will keep growing. I thought my place was not worth more than 230K but my neighbor is selling her house (same floor plan) for 260K.

If you choose Shady Acres, good luck!

We do have tons of townhomes here. BTW Certain parts of Shady Acres have flooding concerns. With this current drought, it may be a thing of the past.

I have lived in Shady Acres for eight years now. In 2003, most people thought I was nuts due to the overrun lots, abandonned homes, dilapidated houses/businesses, lack of national stores and so on. However, that has all changed in the last few years. My property value has increased at least 40 percent. Home prices are very stable in this area. In the last real estate home report by the Houston Chronicle, foreclosure rates are less than 1% for Shady Acres.

1. Safety: Just don't park your cars in the street or driveway. I highly recommend you park it in your garage. We have had several issues with tires/rims being stolen, cars being broken into for Ipod/GPS/Laptops, and just vandalism of vehicles. I personally rather clear my garage of clutter than deal with a broken window. Another issue I noticed is the theft of yard tools from opened garages. Living in the city, you just have to be cognizant of your surroundings.

2. My patch of neighborhood has tons of newborns. Out of ten homes, four couples just had a newborn within the last year. The census did note that this area has seen a resurgence of yuppies (20s-40s).

3. Tons of Mexican restaurants. In the next few months, a wine bar is opening up on W 20 and a pizza/hoagie restaurant on W 23 and two new Mexcian restaurants on Ella and W 26. You will not starve here.

Wal-Mart is coming within a year on I-10 and Yale and that will compete with Krogers (national grocer). If I am not mistaken, the Krogers on W 11 is listed as one of the largest store in the chain in the Southwestern part of the US. We have Foodarama on W 18 with HEB Grocery.

4. Potential=Growth and property value will keep growing. I thought my place was not worth more than 230K but my neighbor is selling her house (same floor plan) for 260K.

We do have tons of townhomes here. BTW Certain parts of Shady Acres have flooding concerns. With this current drought, it may be a thing of the past.

I'd be a little nervous about the bayou...how did it fare during Allison? Timbergrove got nailed just to the South...

If I am not mistaken, homes along Turkey Gully got flooded. Hence my developer bought up the trailer park lot for the cheaps and built our homes. With the pier and beam foundation, I feel confident about my house. My garage on the other hand is another matter.

If I am not mistaken, homes along Turkey Gully got flooded. Hence my developer bought up the trailer park lot for the cheaps and built our homes. With the pier and beam foundation, I feel confident about my house. My garage on the other hand is another matter.

Not to mention that Allison was a freak storm that hit the city TWICE. The odds are pretty small of it happening again.

Take a look in our neighborhood too--Lazybrook. Right next to Shady Acres and our home never flooded. Most of the houses are at top of slope. I know the guy across the street from me is going to be selling soon because he's getting transferred. Some deals are to be had depending on how much the home has been updated. Neighborhood is switching from older folks to newby's moving in. Lady across the street from me just had her second child.

Another option to look at is Norhill Heights, or Sunset Heights, or possibly Heights proper on the west side of Yale. Norhill/Sunset will generally have smaller lots and smaller houses, but I think it has a more "neighborhood" feel (just my opinion...not knocking on any area). Heights on the west side of Yale is generally a bit less expensive than on the east side of Yale, and most have 6,600 sq ft lots with a mix of older homes and new builds. There are even some new builds up around 17th street around Ashland being built right now.

Just some other ideas. Best luck to you on your search.

For you house/townhouse hunters, which areas from your experience have had better home prices with these factors combined(quality, size, location, convenience, safety,etc.) as far as Shady Acres, Timbergrove, Sunset Heights, Norhill, Cottage Grove?

For you house/townhouse hunters, which areas from your experience have had better home prices with these factors combined(quality, size, location, convenience, safety,etc.) as far as Shady Acres, Timbergrove, Sunset Heights, Norhill, Cottage Grove?

I searched for about a year and came to the conclusion that Cottage Grove had the best of your combined factors for the price. Especially with the Intown Homes properties going in, Cottage Grove is getting nicer and nicer. Of course I'm biased because I live in Cottage Grove now, but I looked in all of the places you listed and ended up in Cottage Grove. You can't beat the location and convience with is being right next to I-10, and we have had no problems with safety. In my opinion the prices are still reasonable compared to most of the Greater Heights.

Two words. Flood Insurance. Get it, even if you don't think you need it.

Flooding is not a thing of the past. It will happen again. Yes get flood insurance, but a flooded residence is still a pain to recover from.

I suggest the Heights or Norhill. If you look at some older topograhy maps, you will understand why the Heights was built were it was and didn't go further west beyond Nicholson or Sheperd. Shady Acres is built on land that is naturally prone to flooding, even though the bayous have been enlarged and drainage improved.......it will happen again.

Other than that, it is a nice area, currently desirable and trendy.

Flooding is not a thing of the past. It will happen again. Yes get flood insurance, but a flooded residence is still a pain to recover from.

I suggest the Heights or Norhill. If you look at some older topograhy maps, you will understand why the Heights was built were it was and didn't go further west beyond Nicholson or Sheperd. Shady Acres is built on land that is naturally prone to flooding, even though the bayous have been enlarged and drainage improved.......it will happen again.

Other than that, it is a nice area, currently desirable and trendy.

The Heights is fine, but be careful to stay out of a historic district or you'll be sorry. Norhill is completely regulated. Fortunately not all of the Heights is under total government control (yet).

• 3 months later...

Hi,

We're moving back to Houston and we're looking at a newer construction in Shady Acres on 16th near TC Jester. Not much separates this property from White Oak Bayou. Does anyone in the area know if flooding occurred here during Ike or Allison? It's in the 100-year flood plain according to the flood maps (including FEMA's). The home (but not the garage) is elevated according to what I guess is the code for that neighborhood. Street flooding is a given in many Houston 'hoods, but I can't really abide our vehicle getting damaged.

Anyway, thanks for any input.

Hi,

We're moving back to Houston and we're looking at a newer construction in Shady Acres on 16th near TC Jester. Not much separates this property from White Oak Bayou. Does anyone in the area know if flooding occurred here during Ike or Allison? It's in the 100-year flood plain according to the flood maps (including FEMA's). The home (but not the garage) is elevated according to what I guess is the code for that neighborhood. Street flooding is a given in many Houston 'hoods, but I can't really abide our vehicle getting damaged.

Anyway, thanks for any input.

Don't buy in the floodplain. Just don't. Aside from that it'll affect insurability and rates, aside from that anything in your garage is at risk, and aside from the the appraisal district won't take it into account, flood maps do change from time to time and aren't 100% precise to begin with.

Archived