Shady Acres Information & Developments

shady 75

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live on this street and flooding is not an issue. Tropical Rita and the

last one produced rain but no flooding.

Rita and Ike made landfall east of Houston. We didn't get the worst of the wind or rain in either event. TS Allison (2001) came ashore, dumped a bunch of rain, moved back offshore, lingered, then came back ashore and dumped more rain on top of saturated ground. The White Oak Bayou watershed was among the worst affected. I don't remember anything specific about Shady Acres, but it wasn't really on the real estate map back then. What I can tell you is that many neighborhoods both upstream (Shepherd Oaks and Oak Forest) and downstream (Timbergrove) were affected.

Don't buy in the floodplain. Just don't. Aside from that it'll affect insurability and rates, aside from that anything in your garage is at risk, and aside from the the appraisal district won't take it into account, flood maps do change from time to time and aren't 100% precise to begin with.

Are you saying that the appraisal district does not consider flooding to be negative towards your property values? I have not ever lived in a flood prone area, but that is just absolute and total bs if its true. Flooding absolutely effects property value and if they refuse to acknowledge that then they are not actually considering real market values. Not that the government ever does anything correct, but that is a pretty serious error, and one that does not take a whole lot of effort to get appraisals to show is blatantly wrong.

Are you saying that the appraisal district does not consider flooding to be negative towards your property values? I have not ever lived in a flood prone area, but that is just absolute and total bs if its true. Flooding absolutely effects property value and if they refuse to acknowledge that then they are not actually considering real market values. Not that the government ever does anything correct, but that is a pretty serious error, and one that does not take a whole lot of effort to get appraisals to show is blatantly wrong.

Many properties still have floodplain adjustments grandfathered into the valuation which they just allow to roll from one year to the next. If you're lucky enough to own property in between some grandfathered parcels, they'll give you the adjustment to make your value equal and uniform. But if there aren't many of those properties in your neighborhood, then you're SOL. They won't consider it as a detriment to market value, and many appraisal review boards will back them up.

It's also screwy that if you own property along Galveston Bay that isn't in a floodplain but that is subject to storm surge and ridiculously high insurance rates, they will refuse to take that into account under any circumstances.

• 1 year later...

I have a friend who lives in Shady Acres.  I went to his house once during a rain storm.  Not even a hurricane or tropical storm.  It flooded all over the Heights.  His garage and backyard went under about 4 inches of water.  The house is on pier and beam so it was in no danger.  Some of the streets were over 2 foot deep.  I went through some fun deep water in my truck.  I can also say that crime in that area is high.  Make sure you get a nice alarm.  He got his house cleaned out once.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I've recently started looking to purchase a townhome in the shady acres area of the heights. The problem is my fiance and I would really like a small back yard and private driveway. It seems most builders are packing as many townhomes as possible on a lot and very few (if any right now) offer yards or private driveways. We have decided to try to begin looking for a lot to build on instead. Does anyone know how builders acquire lots in Shady Acres or Timbergrove area? Lots rarely come on HAR but I see builders building everwhere. We wouldn't be looking for anything large since we would just build a single home.

There are some lots in Timbergrove Manor section 5, but I'm not sure of their elevation status. I've been told that Harris County Flood Control has limited what you can do with some of the lots. I'm not sure on the specifics, that's just what I have heard.

You could always start with Google Maps, making note of the addresses that appear to be vacant lots.

I think the reality is that you can find a lot if you're willing to tear down the house that stands on it. The problem is that the supply is tight in Timbergrove. Recently we became aware of a home that had a severe termite problem, and the recommendation was to tear it down. A month later we heard that someone on the same street purchased it, and will probably demo and build new on the lot.

In Timbergrove Sec 5 most new homes are tear downs of old homes, not already empty lots.  I think there is currently empty land for sale on Shelterwood between Queenswood and Hurst though. It might be two lots.

Edited by JJxvi

In Timbergrove Sec 5 most new homes are tear downs of old homes, not already empty lots. I think there is currently empty land for sale on Shelterwood between Queenswood and Hurst though. It might be two lots.

That is the property I was thinking of. (Could not recall the street name)

Research this one very carefully before making any decisions.

One other neighborhood you may want to check out is Lazybrook. Nice size homes and lots, currently "under appreciated" much like Timbergrove was 10 years ago.

That is the property I was thinking of. (Could not recall the street name)

Research this one very carefully before making any decisions.

One other neighborhood you may want to check out is Lazybrook. Nice size homes and lots, currently "under appreciated" much like Timbergrove was 10 years ago.

This would have been a nice lot but it looks like it is pending now. Address is 1009 Shelterwood. I thought I saw a lot for sale in the area near the Timbergrove baseball field. It may have been for sale by owner. Maybe I need to spend some time driving around.

Yes they are putting offers in mailboxes.  I find that townhomes built east of Shepard are a lot more likely to have a private driveway and yard.  I know there were a few for sale around Nicholson/Lawrence area north of 14th that are on 2000 - 3000 sq. ft lots with private driveways. 

There is this one lot on Beauchamp in woodland heights that is just shy of 4,000 sq. ft. that I think would be awesome for a modern style townhome like building...

Are you just going to build one townhome? 

I'm curious how builders are getting lots. Most of them sell off HAR. Do you think they are putting letters in mailboxes? I would also like the Shady Acres area. Tear downs are fine.

Here you go:

http://search.har.com/engine/dispSearch.cfm?mlnum=79197645&v=s

Lots do go up on HAR. If you have $330k (or much more as this will probably be a bid up sale), you can build in Shady Acres. The problem is that you will probably end up surrounded by townhome developments after paying a huge premium on the land to beat out the other builders who can put in a bunch of townhomes on that lot.

In a hot market, builders get land by any means necessary. There are builders who will go up to a homeowner and offer cash on the spot. This has happened a lot in Oak Forest. Builders will also send offers in the mail. Realtors will also stuff mail boxes, claiming to have a buyer ready to go. Larger lots and commercial properties may skip har and get listed with a commercial brokerage. It is a really, really tough market. Even in Lazybrook, there are bidding wars on properties. I have friends who are renting, had kids and want a yard. They are priced out of the new construction in Oak Forest and the Heights and are all looking in Timbergrove/Lazybrook. Lots of multiple offer sales and bidding. Get a realtor who knows the area and is agressive and be ready to fight for the property you want.

Yes they are putting offers in mailboxes.  I find that townhomes built east of Shepard are a lot more likely to have a private driveway and yard.  I know there were a few for sale around Nicholson/Lawrence area north of 14th that are on 2000 - 3000 sq. ft lots with private driveways. 

There is this one lot on Beauchamp in woodland heights that is just shy of 4,000 sq. ft. that I think would be awesome for a modern style townhome like building...

Are you just going to build one townhome? 

Yes - if we could find a lot for a reasonable price we would just build one home. Not necessarily a 4 story townhome per say but it would depend on lot size etc on the logistics. We could maybe build two and sell the other one but the intentions are to build for ourselves. Have you seen what one of these offers reads?

I received one the other week... it basically said we will buy your home and had a number to call.  I'm in an unrestricted part of Woodland Heights... I have the feeling these offers will be more frequent going forward.  I didn't bother calling because I'm not interested in moving, and I'm sure they wouldn't offer what it would take to get me to sell  (other houses nearby would probably take less).

I honestly think you'd be better off finding an already built townhome with a lot in the heights.  The cost to build one home is going to be quite high.  I wouldn't want to turn loose of that kind of money unless I was doing a larger lot, custom home.  I'd guess working with a builder to have 2-4 townhomes built all with yardspace and private driveways would be the way to go but I'm sure that would take a lot of cash in hand to make happen.

I received one the other week... it basically said we will buy your home and had a number to call.  I'm in an unrestricted part of Woodland Heights... I have the feeling these offers will be more frequent going forward.  I didn't bother calling because I'm not interested in moving, and I'm sure they wouldn't offer what it would take to get me to sell  (other houses nearby would probably take less).

I honestly think you'd be better off finding an already built townhome with a lot in the heights.  The cost to build one home is going to be quite high.  I wouldn't want to turn loose of that kind of money unless I was doing a larger lot, custom home.  I'd guess working with a builder to have 2-4 townhomes built all with yardspace and private driveways would be the way to go but I'm sure that would take a lot of cash in hand to make happen.

I have the resources to get the building done. It just a matter of finding a lot.

Yeah... I guess I'm just thinking investment wise... If you just build one, your not going to have the same gains if you sell it.  From conversations that I've had, it seems that 4 is number where economies of scale set in.   If your going to just build one, you might as well just pay a bit more and do a custom single family home that will increase in value better.

Yeah... I guess I'm just thinking investment wise... If you just build one, your not going to have the same gains if you sell it.  From conversations that I've had, it seems that 4 is number where economies of scale set in.   If your going to just build one, you might as well just pay a bit more and do a custom single family home that will increase in value better.

Anything I did would be a custom home. I'm not thinking of doing a 3 story cookie cutter townhome. Unless I could only find a very narrow lot. You see some single family homes while driving in Shady Acres. Some are cottage style with detached garages and yards etc. That's more along the lines I am thinking. Though I guess that is still kind of a townhome.

In that area those lots are probably owned by HCFCD being transferred to them after the former owners took a government buyout after Tropical Storm Allison.  I would also caution you about buying in that area, as its near a sewage pumping station.  Walk up and down 11th street in that area on multiple days and take a few deep breaths before you decide whether you can stand it in that area.

Edited by JJxvi

In that area those lots are probably owned by HCFCD being transferred to them after the former owners took a government buyout after Tropical Storm Allison.  I would also caution you about buying in that area, as its near a sewage pumping station.  Walk up and down 11th street in that area on multiple days and take a few deep breaths before you decide whether you can stand it in that area.

The city is working on the sewer odor. See second item:

http://www.timbergrovecourt.org/#a3

Those are HCFCD buyouts. While not always maintained well and upgraded, the housing stock in Lazybrook and Timbergrove has generally been inhabited and kept in livable/saleable condition. Vacant properties are rare. Teardown is the way to go, subject to HCFCD issues, if you are looking to build new in that area.

There's only been a smell there and people complaining about it for the last 20 years or more, maybe longer than that since before I was ten years old I probably didnt pay attention to that sort of thing. Surely the city "fixing it" (and it will work this time) is right around the corner...

There's only been a smell there and people complaining about it for the last 20 years or more, maybe longer than that since before I was ten years old I probably didnt pay attention to that sort of thing. Surely the city "fixing it" (and it will work this time) is right around the corner...

Yes there is a smell every now and then. Does it make living there unbearable? Not even. It tends to be more pronounced after a good rain, so this week will be a great opportunity to get a whiff.

When it comes to the city fixing it, I'll believe it when I see it. No matter what it has not hurt the values in the neighborhood nor lengthen the days on market.

There's only been a smell there and people complaining about it for the last 20 years or more, maybe longer than that since before I was ten years old I probably didnt pay attention to that sort of thing. Surely the city "fixing it" (and it will work this time) is right around the corner...

The city is pledging to put $250k towards a third bio scrubber and has hired a consultant to look at design imporvements. This area of town has the ear of city government now thanks to property values taking off in a big way. They got a great upgrade to Jaycee park. It is easy to ignore an area when houses are selling for $120k. It is a different ballgame when the dirt alone is pushing $300k.

Anything I did would be a custom home. I'm not thinking of doing a 3 story cookie cutter townhome. Unless I could only find a very narrow lot. You see some single family homes while driving in Shady Acres. Some are cottage style with detached garages and yards etc. That's more along the lines I am thinking. Though I guess that is still kind of a townhome.

It depends on the shape of the lots. There are some that are built facing the street and not in a townhome cluster because of the lots are not as deep. Also, some of those homes were built earlier in the redevelopment of the neighborhood before townhome clusters were the way to maximize the ROI. And a few of them are people who were pioneers and bought into the neighborhood before the townhome developments got rolling. They got cheap land and large lots in exchange for moving in when the neighborhood was on the front end of the transition. Doing a single family in Shady Acres will require paying a substantial premium on the land unless you luck out and find an odd shaped smaller lot that is not suitable for a townhome cluster.