Shady Acres Information & Developments

shady 75

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I noticed that as I drove by today. I agree, that takes it off my list. I was also looking at one just East of Ella on 25th (1624 W 25th St) and it has potential--I think its far enough away from the tower and I didn't see anything else as a glaring negative. Feel free to let me know if this one is right next to a nuclear waste pit or something. Better to know now, right?

At least you wouldn't have to worry about your cell reception. You'd literally be a verizon commercial with your network in your back yard.
LOL, yeah, that's definitely the way to see the silver lining.

Yeah, I noticed that as I drove by today. I agree, that takes it off my list. I was also looking at one just East of Ella on 25th (1624 W 25th St) and it has potential--I think its far enough away from the tower and I didn't see anything else as a glaring negative. Feel free to let me know if this one is right next to a nuclear waste pit or something.

Check the flood maps at maps.tsarp.org I think that is far enough west to be in the 100 year flood plain....

Why don't people want to live near cell towers?

1. perception / possibility of harm from radiation. hasn't been disproved, except in studies commissioned by those who have something to gain by disproving it. there are reports of increases of health issues around some cell towers. correlation may not indicate causation, but some people don't like to gamble with their health.

2. cell towers are not attractive.

3. crappy signal quality if you're carrier isn't on that tower (or so i've been told - stronger interference i suppose.) i don't know that this has stopped anyone from buying near a tower.

I was in much the same situation about 4 months ago. I was looking everywhere for something that would be a nice starter and I found one right in the middle of the height... I think if you will continue looking for a few months something will pop up and you can nab it. Just a few weeks back I saw one (on Studewood & Algregg) I had looked at when it was $200K had been foreclosed on and the price had droped to $165, and it was my 2nd in line if the offer on the house (on Yale &11th) I bought fell through. I'd say just keep your eye out, and see what comes up. Something else, I don't see much of a price difference in the Heights and Shady Acres? Starting in the low $200s? Has it changed that much since June?

D

Something else, I don't see much of a price difference in the Heights and Shady Acres? Starting in the low $200s? Has it changed that much since June?

D

I'm guessing OP is thinking new construction townhouse/patio home versus older single family. Almost everything for sale in Shady Acres now is either new or considered a teardown. The Heights (and Norhill) is still full of fully liveable vintage homes, new construction is likely to be (ridiculously) higher.

Something else, I don't see much of a price difference in the Heights and Shady Acres? Starting in the low $200s? Has it changed that much since June?

I found Shady Acres to be much cheaper than the Heights "proper" with newer construction that is. Some of the areas east of the actual heights might be more comparable than the actual Heights. I think the biggest difference is that in Shady Acres you can find a decent sized house (between 1200 - 2000sqft) with detached garage, facing the street, and a small yard for under 300K; where as in the heights there really isn't much at that price range and size. From what I've seen in the Heights proper everything tends to be older, smaller homes or new much larger (2000 - 3000 sq ft), upscale and expensive homes. They don't seem to build houses catering to the mid-range buyer except to some degree on the fringes and in more tightly packed patio homes. Not to say there aren't some deals out there that don't fit this generalization. And Scott is right, there are virtually no existing homes for sale (built pre-2000) that are not tear downs. In Shady Acres that is.

I'd say just keep your eye out, and see what comes up. Something else, I don't see much of a price difference in the Heights and Shady Acres? Starting in the low $200s? Has it changed that much since June? D
Funny that you mention the dynamicism (sp?) of the real estate market. I actually had a townhome in Midtown selected and was ready to make an offer after work only to get a call in the middle of the day from my agent basically saying, don't bother, they've agreed and signed with someone else. Not coo... but I guess it wasn't meant to be. I, and hopefully my agent, will keep on top of the market and hope to have a similar outing like yourself.Heights and Shady Acres, yeah, I'm going to have to agree with Urbannomad. I'm actually closer to "Ending in the low $200s". Ahh, limitations.
I'm guessing OP is thinking new construction townhouse/patio home versus older single family. Almost everything for sale in Shady Acres now is either new or considered a teardown. The Heights (and Norhill) is still full of fully liveable vintage homes, new construction is likely to be (ridiculously) higher.
My preference is new construction but I'm open to an older home. The only problem with searching for them is that it makes the searches a bit overwhelming.

My preference is new construction but I'm open to an older home. The only problem with searching for them is that it makes the searches a bit overwhelming.

Just some food for thought (that not everyone will agree with)...A vintage home in the Heights (I am including Norhill, Woodland Heights, Sunset Heights, etc.) in good condition will likely appreciate more in value than a cookie cutter new construction townhome. There are lots of very recent townhomes for sale, as well as hundreds more going up so value will be static at best until the area is "built out." Very similar for older single family homes in the suburbs where new subdivisions still multiply like rabbits. You will likely get less square footage for your dollar in a vintage home, but will likely get something with more character and charm. I live in North Norhill, which is relatively protected as an Historic District, and has deed restrictions. You can still get in the neighborhood for around $200K, would find lots of interesting homes for less than $300K.

Just some food for thought (that not everyone will agree with)...A vintage home in the Heights (I am including Norhill, Woodland Heights, Sunset Heights, etc.) in good condition will likely appreciate more in value than a cookie cutter new construction townhome. There are lots of very recent townhomes for sale, as well as hundreds more going up so value will be static at best until the area is "built out." Very similar for older single family homes in the suburbs where new subdivisions still multiply like rabbits. You will likely get less square footage for your dollar in a vintage home, but will likely get something with more character and charm. I live in North Norhill, which is relatively protected as an Historic District, and has deed restrictions. You can still get in the neighborhood for around $200K, would find lots of interesting homes for less than $300K.

Depending on style and "cookie-cutterness" of the town home I definitely agree that if you are looking for rapid price appreciation stay away from the generic town homes because they are being rapidly over-built and prices are already being pushed downward.

I would agree with the vintage character aspect of older homes; however, I think that you must be able to get a reasonable amount of square footage and more than 1 bath in the older homes to expect decent appreciation. While some people don't mind smaller homes and one bath, for the best resell I think you really need something >1000 sqft (not huge but reasonable) with more than one bath... or at least the space and configuration to let you easily add-on. From what I've seen on the MLS it's the smaller homes with 1 bath that sit for a long time with price reduction before selling (along with townhomes). It's this fact that sent us to new construction because finding an older home with a second bath in a decent area of the heights drastically increases the price. This is of course largely just my opinion and depending on what level of "transition" you are comfortable with in your neighborhood this could be an somewhat easy or difficult process. Ideally I'd like an old bungalow in Woodland Heights ~ 1400 sqft, 2 bath but while they exist they are unfortunately well out of my price range. For now we're happy with our new, faux-torian home with it's faux-vintage details. :)

A vintage home in the Heights (I am including Norhill, Woodland Heights, Sunset Heights, etc.)
Where are these places? I'm assuming they are in the Heights but is there some kind of easy way of knowing (map or something)?
Depending on style and "cookie-cutterness" of the town home I definitely agree that if you are looking for rapid price appreciation stay away from the generic town homes because they are being rapidly over-built and prices are already being pushed downward. I would agree with the vintage character aspect of older homes; however, I think that you must be able to get a reasonable amount of square footage and more than 1 bath in the older homes to expect decent appreciation. While some people don't mind smaller homes and one bath, for the best resell I think you really need something >1000 sqft (not huge but reasonable) with more than one bath... or at least the space and configuration to let you easily add-on. From what I've seen on the MLS it's the smaller homes with 1 bath that sit for a long time with price reduction before selling (along with townhomes). It's this fact that sent us to new construction because finding an older home with a second bath in a decent area of the heights drastically increases the price. This is of course largely just my opinion and depending on what level of "transition" you are comfortable with in your neighborhood this could be an somewhat easy or difficult process. Ideally I'd like an old bungalow in Woodland Heights ~ 1400 sqft, 2 bath but while they exist they are unfortunately well out of my price range. For now we're happy with our new, faux-torian home with it's faux-vintage details. :)
I, as probaby every home buyer, am big on the idea of getting great appreciation so I like this idea of an old vintage home--the logic of better appreciation over time (especially in the shorter term) makes sense to me. What I've found so far is that it tends to be out of my price range but I can afford to be patient...maybe something will, indeed, show up.At any rate, I appreciate the info. everyone has been sharing, thanks.

Where are these places? I'm assuming they are in the Heights but is there some kind of easy way of knowing (map or something)?I, as probaby every home buyer, am big on the idea of getting great appreciation so I like this idea of an old vintage home--the logic of better appreciation over time (especially in the shorter term) makes sense to me. What I've found so far is that it tends to be out of my price range but I can afford to be patient...maybe something will, indeed, show up.At any rate, I appreciate the info. everyone has been sharing, thanks.

Har.com is your friend. You can do a home search by subdivision/neighborhood and price range, even narrow it down further if you want. Key Maps also have neighborhood names superimposed on them so you can get the big picture of how all the pieces fall together.

I would agree with the vintage character aspect of older homes; however, I think that you must be able to get a reasonable amount of square footage and more than 1 bath in the older homes to expect decent appreciation.

Depends on the neighborhood. Probably 90% of the houses immediately around me in North Norhill are 2-1's. Square footage varies a lot. On my block, they range from around 800 sq ft to my neighbor's 3/1+1/2 1500 sq ft with the attic area built out. Mine is the newest on the street built in 1949, it's a 2-1 with about 1200 sq ft. I looked into the idea of adding another bedroom/bath via a 2nd floor addition a few years ago. I could be done in the $75K range, of course you should follow the old real estate adage of not being the most expensive house on the block.

Where are these places?

I also recommend trying www.ziprealty.com. I'm always pimping that site out but it really is awesome. They give you access to the full public mls and have a cool map search feature so you don't have to mess with key maps, zip codes, etc just zoom into the general area and homes pop-up on the map (so long as the agent listed the address correctly). You can also save homes to see what the trends are and it will show you price increases/decreases for each listing. You do have to create an account, but it's free with no spam and that allows you to save homes you are interested in.

As a side note, you can also get good appreciation in new homes, just be careful with townhomes. I moved into my house in May and the same developer is building similar houses, but patio style, behind us and they are listed for 50K more than we paid and one has already pre-sold. There are good deals in all homes, old and new, if you are willing to search for them so get something you will be happy with bottom line. We plan to be in our house for at least 5 years and maybe longer so rapid appreciation isn't that important to us in the short term, but long term we would like to make a profit (if only one's tax liability didn't go up with value until you wanted to sell).

I guess I got lucky when I found mine. 1300 sp-ft, 2-1, new wiring and plumbing throughout, with an unattached 2 car and 2 car carport on a 6600sp ft lot and alley access. Mainly bought it because I see Yale becoming a busy commercialized street, as it doesnt have the restrictions of the historic district but runs right through the middle of the Heights. I've seen several houses in good shape for under $300... I can't justify buying a townhome for that much when you get a 3rd of a lot and no breathing room or window views. Course I just have to wait until the guy in the "fortress" next door, and the professional students/partiers across the street move on before I will see any true appreciation. The fortress I speak of is at 12th and Yale for all those who know the area.

I'd say keep looking using har.com and ziprealty.com (I found Zip to be more helpful and still use it to watch properties). There should be something that pops up, especially considering (I know its bad to say) all the foreclosures and those coming up. Infact I saw there were a few that just got put on the market in the 6th/White Oak and Studewood area recently that were fairly priced.

D

All the information everyone's shared has been awesome, thanks! I think I know what I need to do...be patiently looking and wait for the right place to come along. I think I know the right place now...at least I think I will when I see it.

Hopeful I'll be a Heights or Shady Acres resident soon,

Considering

Heres one that popped up this morning and is just a few blocks from where I bought my home...

http://search.har.com/engine/dispSearch.cfm?mlnum=1947203

Would be a great starter...

Nice find, SaintCyr. It was completely off my radar since I had my searched set for 1000+ sqft. I agree, from the pics/description this place has potential. My concern are those that have been discussed here (under 1000sqft and the 1 bath) as well as the window AC units...central ac seems so standard to me. Anyway, I'll definitely check it out, thanks.

So I changed my search and found another one a little under 1000sqft (its 888 sqft).

http://search.har.com/engine/dispSearch.cfm?mlnum=3153824

Any thoughts on this one?

Any opinions on the appreciation potential of either of these in atleast-a-five-years-later selling outlook? I'm not looking to make a killing but I definitely don't want to lose money.

Nice find, SaintCyr. It was completely off my radar since I had my searched set for 1000+ sqft. I agree, from the pics/description this place has potential. My concern are those that have been discussed here (under 1000sqft and the 1 bath) as well as the window AC units...central ac seems so standard to me. Anyway, I'll definitely check it out, thanks.

So I changed my search and found another one a little under 1000sqft (its 888 sqft).

http://search.har.com/engine/dispSearch.cfm?mlnum=3153824

Any thoughts on this one?

Any opinions on the appreciation potential of either of these in atleast-a-five-years-later selling outlook? I'm not looking to make a killing but I definitely don't want to lose money.

Lot looks a bit small for the house on Waverly. I think I might've looked that one up on HCAD and the satellite photos and there's nowhere to put a garage and still have a bit of backyard. Plus its on a corner so that would make parking on the street problematic. I, myself, MUST have a garage, and I suspect a lot of other buyers are looking for the same.

The one on Alexander is a steal in my book, the one on Waverly has the tracthouse makeover look of a flipper (okay if that's what appeals to you I guess.) Don't let a certain square footage totally throw you off, the "flow" of houses like these is sometimes just as important as the actual area.

The one on Alexander is a steal in my book, the one on Waverly has the tracthouse makeover look of a flipper (okay if that's what appeals to you I guess.) Don't let a certain square footage totally throw you off, the "flow" of houses like these is sometimes just as important as the actual area.

Scott brings up a good point. My house is only 1100 sqft and it feels much bigger just because of how everything is situated throughout and it has 11' ceilings. One large living/dining area, large kitchen is all that really matters to me. Even with a roommate there is plenty of space for us to get away from one another. I looked at some 1600 sqft houses that made you feel like you were in a shoe box because of low ceilings, narrow hall ways and no open spaces. Cant ever hurt to look and see how the house "feels"...

• 1 month later...
Where IS Shady Acres? Acres Home I know, but not Shady Acres.

The best maps for Shady Acres can be found here: http://www.shadyacres.org/index.php?page=12

My wife and I love the neighborhood! As for safety, I agree with Urbannomad... it is about as safe as any inner-city transitional neighborhood will be. Don't leave things out that can be carried away and you will most likely be fine. I truly believe that once some of the big housing developments finish their construction petty theft will decrease significantly.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

What is your "vision" for Shady Acres?

Shady Acres Civic Club (SACC) will be hosting a "Planning and Visioning Workshop" meeting at Tony's Mexican Restaurant (2222 Ella Blvd) on Saturday, June 21, at 10:30 a.m.

A map of Shady Acres can be found: http://www.shadyacres.org/index.php?page=12

Everybody is invited.

We will be looking at a comprehensive vision for the Shady Acres Neighborhood including:

• Preserving the peaceful neighborly place that Shady Acres has always been
  • Preserving the walk-ability through careful study of traffic patterns in relation to our parks and major streets of Ella Blvd, 19th and 20th, including a comprehensive sidewalk or trail system through-out the neighborhood
  • Developing and planning for our parks: Wright-Bembrey, Little Thicket and the White Oak Bayou Trail to enhance their use by all and ensure multi-modal accessibility
  • Encouraging our Shady Acres art community, both performing and visual, to remain and expand by providing a forum for their work
  • Replacing, preserving and increasing our tree canopy
  • Encouraging vibrant neighborhood friendly business corridors along both 19th and 20th and Ella BLVD
  • Ensuring easy walk-able or bike-able access to these business areas and restaurants
  • Beautification projects such as tree-scaping both 19th and 20th as well as adopting the medians along Ella and TC Jester with Shady Acres signage
  • Exploring a trolley line connecting Heights Blvd -19th Business district and the Ella- 18th Street business district
  • Creating a dog park in the Shady Acres area
  • Installing Intersection street light at E TC Jester and W 18th
  • Repairing the W 18th bridge
  • Improving drainage throughout Shady Acres

If you are unable to attend, email your name and comments to shadyacresnews@yahoo.com

I like Shady Acres, the trees are great, the location is great. I don't really like the style of building that is going on there right now. Where there used to be nice sized lots with yards (no sidewalks though), now they are sticking these townhome complexes in. I don't mind a townhome if it's street facing and has some kind of a yard to speak of, but these things they build where 8 are on a double lot sharing a driveway or a walkway up the middle are weird. I can't picture these not being completely slummed up in 10 years. I think it's too dense for the area. This is not Rice Military, and I can't really say for sure whether that model of building is going to work there in the long run. I'm just saying I don't like it. I think it's over-filling the market with homes that don't have long-term desirability.

I like Shady Acres, the trees are great, the location is great. I don't really like the style of building that is going on there right now. Where there used to be nice sized lots with yards (no sidewalks though), now they are sticking these townhome complexes in. I don't mind a townhome if it's street facing and has some kind of a yard to speak of, but these things they build where 8 are on a double lot sharing a driveway or a walkway up the middle are weird. I can't picture these not being completely slummed up in 10 years. I think it's too dense for the area. This is not Rice Military, and I can't really say for sure whether that model of building is going to work there in the long run. I'm just saying I don't like it. I think it's over-filling the market with homes that don't have long-term desirability.

I share your concerns, especially where there are houses that sit behind other houses obscured from the road, as being a great design for a future slum. But to be fair though, this design is the only thing that keeps the area even moderately affordable, since we don't have public alleys through our blocks; and it has spurred massive new interest and invest in the neighborhood. And I think if the owners keep up with the maintenance then that issue could be mitigated pretty simply. Also, I personally think the level of density is fairly appropriate and will work as a buffer to the possible "slumming." Since the neighborhood is inside the loop it's still very close to downtown relatively speaking, and given the current trend, the interest in moving back to the city looks very likely continue... at least in the mid-range in my opinion.

I think it's most important that the infrastructure keeps up with the level of growth/density for the survival of the neighborhood, ie improved streets, sidewalk, drainage etc. I can't image how much worse Beall street is going to become once some of the projects in development are finished, included one 100+ home development by itself. The way the city works they make the developer bring their land up to standards, but they don't address improvements that will be needed in the surrounding infrastructure as a whole (just look at our patchwork of sidewalks or flooding issues). In no way am I anti-growth, pretty much the opposite since I realize that I chose to live in an urban area, it's just that in my opinion updating the infrastructure for the needs of today and tomorrow is the most pressing issue we face by far as an overall community... along with the long range trend in home buying preferences, urban vs suburban, but there's not much we can do to combat that, except maybe for cutting crime and improving schools... but I'll leave that for another day. :)

Archived