Shady Acres Information & Developments

shady 75

Does anyone know how builders acquire lots in Shady Acres or Timbergrove area?

The builders contact the owners of empty parcels. If the parcel is able to be divided, most likely you wouldn't be able to match the price the builder offers because they are able to offer more since they will be building multiple structures.

you can easily drive thru the area you are interested in and go onto hcad and find the owner an any parcel of land.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The TC Jester store is right in the floodway/floodplain. They may do a modest upgrade to try to bring in more of the neighborhood, but the floodplain issues will prevent them from doing anything ambitious in that area. Without a really aggressive land acquisition (buying out multiple lots) and possibly doing structured parking (just not enough land in the area for a full sized HEB + parking), there just isn't an opportunity for HEB to build in the area.

I first heard that rumour eight years ago. At the time, the suggestion was that they were looking into the property now known as The Restaurant Depot. Oviously it didn't happen. I still can't wrap my head around why they moved to 18th in the frist place, given that the old 11th St location was about the same size and more centrally located. It's obviouss they want to do something as they were the loser in the bid for the Walmart property but I would guess they want something more central for a new location as the remainder of the greater heights and the Washinton avenue/Rice Military areas are also underserved. God knows we have enough Krogers now.

• 2 years later...

I have a question for you guys.  What, typically, should flood insurance run at the corner of Bevis and 23rd, or Couch and 23rd?  Is it in the hundreds, a thousand, or five thousand?   Anybody willing to give a ballpark figure?  I have an elevation certificate and will get with an agent asap, but just in case someone replies tonight, I'd really like to know.

• 5 months later...

Hi everyone. My wife & I have lived here in Houston for a little over six years, but are finally ditching apartment life in search of a home.

The problem is, we've signed with a realtor we're not very happy with - we'd like to buy in the Shady Acres/Heights area but that is definitely not her expertise. I think we can get out of the contract, but trying a few other routes before going there.

I found a few dated postings on this board about this area, but I just wanted to see what was the story. We were looking around 25th St west of Durham, and the area looked nice - but it's hard to really tell if it's safe, friendly and/or a growing area.

A lot of this has to do with us just not having a knowledgable realtor, but any general suggestions or questions to ask? I know flood insurance is a great idea for the area. If anything, any restaurant/coffee shop recommendations? Neighborhoods to seek out/avoid? Heck, I will buy anyone on here a beer/latte if they want to meet up and make friends with a young couple looking to learn and embrace where we hope to spend the next 20+ years.

We just feel like we're flying blind a bit as first-time homebuyers and want to make sure this is where we'd like to be. Thanks in advance for any replies/suggestions.

I live in the Woodland Heights and get up in that corner occasionally, so I may not the best person to give advice, but I have some opinions nevertheless.  Is it a good area?  Yes.  Is it a great area?  Not yet.  Its still transitional and that is nothing to fear, but if you're in it for the long haul I don't think there's any question it will be a good investment.  Some things in life you may want need instant gratification on, other things you may be willing to wait.  It depends on where you are in life, but recognize, life events can change quickly and as such so do your needs.  I don't believe that area is unsafe, but recognize its still inner city so crimes of opportunity can still dominate.  And that's true everywhere.  Shady Acres from my understanding of friends that live there has a pretty active neighborhood association and families are definitely moving in.  I would also classify it as very friendly, and I think that's true because as a whole the Greater Heights is a very socially engaged neighborhood, from things like LITH, White Linen, First Saturday, to all the shops and pubs that embrace their neighbors.  Its friendly because there are so many neat places one can walk or bike to, it encourages people to come out and be social.  Which I assume would explain why you're looking in that area.  

Schools are one thing that may not be where you want it to be.  Not sure if you intend on having a family, but there is a price spike directly associated with school zones.  If you see two homes across the street that otherwise look the same but are 15% different in price, take a look as the school zone boundary.  Don't underestimate anticipating your future needs and getting into a good school zone.  I was single when I moved to the Heights and now married with small kids, I can't tell you how important that is now.

Shady Acres has no shortage of neighborhood bars/pubs/hangouts.  For non big-box retail you'll want to jump over to Heights proper I suspect.  Shepherd/Durham corridor has begun its long overdue transition and will be interesting to see how it evolves over the next few years.  

You're right about flood insurance.  Its a must in that area. http://www.harriscountyfemt.org/.  

Speaking from a totally and completely biased perspective, I would keep an eye on www.har.com and see what pops up within the Heights proper.  Investment wise, at this point I see east of Shepherd outperforming west of Shepherd.  If you can get in the area bounded by White Oak, 11th, Heights Blvd and I45 then at least for right now, you've got no worries about schools.  Other elementary schools in the area are stepping it up immensely, so they're on their way up.  Of course the Heights proper has now reached a price point that makes Shady Acres infinitely more attractive to young couples, but with higher price that come parks, recreation, amenities, and a lifestyle that is very unique and will always be distinctly different than Shady Acres.  

Oh, and regardless, I would make sure you have flat tire insurance.  I've had two nails in my tires already this year and my friend that lives up there has had 4.  Construction woes.  

• The title was changed to Shady Acres - Is It Safe?
  • The title was changed to Shady Acres Information & Developments

Archived