• 10 months later...

WERE SAVING 2522 CALUMET!!!

My father and i have been actively trying to save as many third ward homes (and their ORIGINAL features) as we can. We've done 2618 Rosewood, 2417 Blodgett, 2906 Ruth, 6670 sylvan & 6223 Jefferson (those two were in the second ward but needed desperate attention...), and now, most exciting of all, we will be restoring 2522 calumet and MY family will be moving into that one! It's to special to sell to anyone else. Feel free to pop in if you see my dad and I working over there and introduce yourselves! 

-Rachel Paxton

• Like 7

WERE SAVING 2522 CALUMET!!!

My father and i have been actively trying to save as many third ward homes (and their ORIGINAL features) as we can. We've done 2618 Rosewood, 2417 Blodgett, 2906 Ruth, 6670 sylvan & 6223 Jefferson (those two were in the second ward but needed desperate attention...), and now, most exciting of all, we will be restoring 2522 calumet and MY family will be moving into that one! It's to special to sell to anyone else. Feel free to pop in if you see my dad and I working over there and introduce yourselves!

-Rachel Paxton

Thank you. Houston needs more folks like you and your family.

Riverside was developed back in the 1930s for the wealthy Jews (it was "on par" with River Oaks) as they were not welcome in River Oaks.

I remember watching a PBS special 25 years ago about Riverside. When 288 went through, it was a real calamity for the neighborhood as it split streets and neighborhoods in half. I am unsure when the Jews moved out and the African Americans came in.... The switch may have been prior to 288. I don't recall. Regardless, many of the homes in this area are quite "stately" ..... The type of thing that would have been built in River Oaks in the 1930s, 40's and likely 50's.

By the late 50's, 288 was planned to come through.

I don't know much about Riverside beyond that.

Is there any knowledge on why 288 was built so wide, and with so few crossings?  I hear a lot about it dividing up neighborhoods, killing businesses on Almeda, etc. but no reasons for its routing and size

Is there any knowledge on why 288 was built so wide, and with so few crossings?  I hear a lot about it dividing up neighborhoods, killing businesses on Almeda, etc. but no reasons for its routing and size

288 was supposed to be a dual freeway. In the middle would be an express freeway that would allow travel between 610 and downtown without mixing with local traffic entering and exiting the freeway. They didn't have enough funding at the time to build the lanes, but they will be built in the near future, though not as free lanes as originally intended. They will be managed lanes like what you see in the middle of I-10.

• Like 1

YAY Rachel! You have no idea how excited that makes me! I have seen that you started some work last week, but couldn't tell what or who was doing it.  I have not seen anyone over there when I have been home but I can't wait to meet you! it is such a beautiful home! Welcome to the neighborhood!

Our daughter and son in law recently purchased a home in the northern part of Riverside and have spent months fixing it up. Its such a lovely bungalow and there seems to be more of that going on in this area. There are hundreds of these homes just begging for a little

special care. Its such a great location for the med center area and downtown.

• Like 4

The reason that The South Freeway was routed through Riverside was to appareantly avoid having to purchase NABISCO and the Dominican convent on Almeda Rd. Although NABISCO remained a major employer for awhile, the Domincans tore down their old motherhouse in the early 60's and built a modern dormitory adjacent to it.

I'd rather have seen the convent and bakery go instead of the destruction of Riverside. There surely could have been an alignment that didn't do as much damage as the eventual South Freeway route did. They could have curved it around things further in, possibly staying on the west side of Almeda Rd, taking out the Turn Verin, Hermann Park Stables,the Jewish Comminuty Center and the east parts of the Veteran's Hospital property before veering back east to meet up with it's current intersection with the South Loop. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Our home at 2522 Calumet is nearly done and we can't wait to have a block party in October to celebrate! Thanks to everyone who's dropped by to say hello and welcome us into the area. 

On another subject, specifically having to do with Calumet street; I have personally almost run into vehicles parked along the side of the road near the intersection of 288 and calumet in front of the town homes. When your on the service road and you veer right to turn onto calumet, there are always cars parked precariously close to the intersection in the second lane on the far right. It is straight up DANGEROUS. Not only that, but when cars are parked on both sides of the street only one car can get down the whole street at a time. 

WOULD THE 2400-2500 BLOCK OF CALUMET LIKE OR DISLIKE PERMITTED PARKING?? I had permitted parking on my old street and we loved it. It discouraged thieves, and helped keep traffic/accidents to a minimum. Also, the street just looks a lot more inviting and pretty if everyone simply uses their driveways and garages. 

THOUGHTS, COMMENTS???? Ill do all the leg work and get the signatures, i just need to know if the residents are with me on this or if i am going to hit a brick wall! Also, if you want to help, let me know.

• Like 1

Excited about your house!

I think most of the single family home owers would probably be for it, but I think getting some of the townhome owners on board will be tough.  I think that is the issue with our street is that I have a feeling that most of the current street parkers is residents instead of visitors.  I know one woman down the street that rents out all of her rooms and then the rooms in the garage apartment also, and they will maybe park one car in the driveway. 

I would suggest sending messages on the next door app and see what the response is. That is how I was able to contact many people on the street for the minimum lot size. Would be happy to  help if I can and let you know the best people to talk to. 

I did see on one of the Houston planning maps that our street was earmarked to be widened. I do not really want that to happen, so I would be in support of this. Something has to happen as our street is impossible.

Amanda

Glad to hear that you are saving a piece of Riverside Terrace, Rachel. 

In the early 1940s, my grandmother resided with one of the families that lived on your block.  (Unfortunately, I don't remember exactly which house, but I know it was on the north side of the street.)  She worked as a governess for the family and helped raise their children.  

HELLO ALL!

Check out our Facebook page "daddy daughter demo" if your interested in seeing what we've been up to inside 2522 calumet. I post a lot about what we are up to and a lot of the problems we encounter while renovating historical homes. PLEASE LIKE IT IF YOU WANT TO STAY IN THE RIVERSIDE RENO LOOP!!  And just a fun tid bit: there's even a video on our page of us finding baby raccoons inside a soffit in our garage apartment!

https://www.facebook.com/daddydaughterdemo

To 9075,

When I was researching the history of my home I also came across information that implied there was a governess and grounds keeper that lived in the garage apartment when the home was first built. However, our house is on the south side of the street; its a shame because I would LOVE to find someone who could fill me in on the fist owners and occupants of my house! 

My mother grew up at 2615 N Calumet and I lived there for a few years as a child .  We sold it to the fraternity that currently owns it.  The Deutser's lived next door and it became The Groovy Grill.  I remember the houses being torn down to build the apartments (that were torn down to build town homes now.)

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

OH how i wish the fraternity would sell it to someone who could restore the property! It's one of only about SIX homes in "Riverside sections 5" that are still standing!!!! I can only imagine the crazy things that I fear go on in there......It's unbelievable that so many mansions around the park have been demolished without a second thought. The scariest thing of all is that, if i am correct, only the 2400-2500 block of calumet has minimum lot size, so technically a builder could build a crazy high rise anywhere on Riverside Drive, Binz, or N and S Calumet. What a risk...

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

My wife and I just bought a home built in 1950 on Fernwood between Scott and Cullen. It sits on a nice size corner lot and needs some serious love and care.

We took the carpets out last week, in the living room, entry, stairs, dining room, both upstairs bedrooms and found beautiful hardwood floors which really made our day. Someone said there is someone who takes old carpet and recycles. If anyone knows about this Would appreciate the name.

I just started demo work on the 1970's add on master suite and just finished taking out several closets and cabinets that enlarged the bedroom by  two feet the length of the room. Opened up the small closet into the adjacent utility room to make an 8 foot deep walkin  closet 6 feet wide.

sheetrock work to follow and a complete gutting of the bathroom and vanity area. Wish I was about twenty years younger. This sixty six year old body doesn't respond as well as it used to. I can feel every nail pulled and stud I demo'd today. The hot shower felt so good. Going back over this week to continue demo in bathroom. Have to figure out how to take apart one of those old walkin tubs that is larger than the bathroom doorway. Hopefully I can take it apart or sawzall it into pieces. Also if anyone has any advice on how to take out large mirrors that seem to be partially glued to the wall without having mirror shards everywhere I'd appreciate the suggestions. Thanks

Edited by bobruss
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, bobruss said:

My wife and I just bought a home built in 1950 on Fernwood between Scott and Cullen. It sits on a nice size corner lot and needs some serious love and care.

We took the carpets out last week, in the living room, entry, stairs, dining room, both upstairs bedrooms and found beautiful hardwood floors which really made our day. Someone said there is someone who takes old carpet and recycles. If anyone knows about this Would appreciate the name.

I just started demo work on the 1970's add on master suite and just finished taking out several closets and cabinets that enlarged the bedroom by  two feet the length of the room. Opened up the small closet into the adjacent utility room to make an 8 foot deep walkin  closet 6 feet wide.

sheetrock work to follow and a complete gutting of the bathroom and vanity area. Wish I was about twenty years younger. This sixty six year old body doesn't respond as well as it used to. I can feel every nail pulled and stud I demo'd today. The hot shower felt so good. Going back over this week to continue demo in bathroom. Have to figure out how to take apart one of those old walkin tubs that is larger than the bathroom doorway. Hopefully I can take it apart or sawzall it into pieces. Also if anyone has any advice on how to take out large mirrors that seem to be partially glued to the wall without having mirror shards everywhere I'd appreciate the suggestions. Thanks

Kevin told me you were doing this. I love home renovations and preservation.  I hope we get to discuss this in person soon!

mmmmmmmm.... mayhemmmmm.... Go get 'em, Bob.

On the tub question... take a tape measure to it and see if it will fit through the doorway on its side.  My deep '24 Kohler made it, even with its feet still on.  Very few tubs are two and a half feet deep.

Regarding the achy stuff, just remember that age and treachery beats youth and enthusiasm on any day.  No disrespect, but I'm pretty sure that there was some physical pain in my first DIY remodel in the 80s, which was helped greatly by natural substances like corn squeezins and other plant based rheumatiz medicines.  Rumor has it they are still around.  There's also the soothing balm that the passage of time gives to the memories of our younger, more bulletproof selves.

I'll let you know when I'm going to be there . I plan on working over there quite a bit on Thursday thru the weekend.

Still looking for advice on taking out large mirrors that have been partially glued to the wall. Someone mentioned some kind of 

adhesive sheets of a gauze type material that holds the broken glass together. Is anyone familiar with this or have any thoughts.

• 2 months later...

Were about to move in. I wish I had a way to show you  some before and afters, but I  have'nt been able to put

my images on the site. I must have taken a thousand images of befores, progress images and afters.

I'm really pleased with the 1st floor master we completely gutted and created a new master bath and walk in closet area. Lots of white subway tile and  very dark rectangular porcelain tile floor. Pewter grab bars and a euro shower system that we ordered on line.

By the way we taped the mirrored in  diagonal strips of duct tape running both ways sort of like people do for hurricane preparedness. 

I don't know if it helped or we just got lucky, but the mirror came out without a break, and went away  a few Saturdays ago with a lot of demo'd material.

Doors and cabinets went to Habitat for Humanity. 

I just finished hanging art throughout the down stairs and working on taking the wall paper off the walls of the 2nd floor bath.  I'll prime it this weekend and paint. Then I'll put in a new vanity, toilet and new faucets. 

After the movers left last week I took out the last of the carpet in the stairwell. The steps are all in great shape but I have to fill all of the risers with putty after I took out the carpet and pad and a million staples nails and carpet tack strips. You have to be very careful when you grab a handful of carpet tack strips. Its like picking up a thorny cactus or a short quilled porcupine.

The best thing, is I've lost 17 pounds since I started work December 20th.

Hope this didn't bore you but you asked for an update.

• Like 3

That's awesome!  Not boring at all.  Glad the mirror didn't cause any trips to the ER!  It sounds like the house is coming along nicely.  I'm sure it has been hard, but also rewarding work!  Good luck with the stairs and upstairs bath.  Thanks for the update!