• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Sikorsky S58bt or ET. 60 years old, reengined with PWPT6 turbines. Originally had a radial engine that burned gasoline, not what you want to fly into a war zone. These are variants of the H34 helicopter.

• Like 5

• 2 years later...
  • The title was changed to Pennzoil Place
  • 3 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Subdude said:

The second photo has the only clear picture I've ever seen of the Western Union building that was incorporated into the Bank of America tower.  

I started a job in early 1982 in the building seen in the upper left corner of this photo (the HL&P Electric Tower Annex), and had a clear view out of those windows.
Couldn't ask for a better ringside seat to watch Republic Bank (as it was known then) go from excavation to completion.
For many years afterward people would argue with me as to whether it was only an urban legend that there was a building contained within the banking lobby. 

• Like 4

21 hours ago, samagon said:

wow, that's awesome, looking at Jones Plaza in the background, I know it was rebuilt from the original, but I'm now more interested in seeing this original design.

If you've seen one side, you've seen all four.  It was completely symmetrical, and about as inviting as your average grocery store parking lot.

• Haha 6

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
On 8/3/2021 at 8:55 PM, hindesky said:

I remember a helicopter installing a window washing system 4 yrs ago,

The original system had a rail upon which a carriage could move across the facade, suspending a platform on which the window washers stood. 
Sometime in the mid-80's two window washers were on the upper floors of the north facade when a gust of wind caught the platform and propelled it to the end of the rail on the west side of the building. The blocks at the end of the rail which should have stopped the platform failed, and the platform flew off and plummeted to the street below. 
Tragically, the window washers and a pedestrian were killed. The woman standing next to the pedestrian lost a toe. It was a pleasant sunny day, just about lunchtime, and it's a miracle that there weren't more victims. 

• Sad 2

• The title was changed to Pennzoil Building Video 1970s
  • The title was changed to Pennzoil Place At 711 Louisiana St.
  • 1 year later...