Discovery Green Park At 1500 McKinney St.

c4smok

According to the Downtown Park website, the "official" (which I presume means final) design is to be released May 9.

Here's exactly what the announcement flyer says

Houston Downtown Park Conservancy

P.O. Box 130646

Houston, TX 77219-0646

Tel: 713-333-1161

Fax: 713-333-1162

For Immediate Release

Elmore Public Relations

713-524-0661 (O) or 832-725-6884 (M)

(Please do not publish phone numbers)

Official Design of Houston

How about a beautiful fountain ... Mecom comes to mind or that cool fountain in Chicago. With benches etc.

Not that I'm against a fountain in the park, but if Houston does that, it's gotta be something we've never seen before. Chicago's design belongs to Chi-town, and there's other ways to be innovative. I say if it's gonna have anything to do with water, make a walk-through fountain like in Milan or Paris. At least something new to America...

The official grand public unvailing is suppose to be on 9 May. Media might of got a sneak peak.

KHOU has avery small picture of the model.

a6rd.jpg

link to story: http://www.khou.com/news/local/stories/kho...k.1fdd5961.html

I like that the pond area looks bigger than originally planned ;)

Edited by Houstonian in Iraq

i can finally take a sigh of relief, i thought this thing was gonna be a bunch of talk, but i was wrong, i cant wait to see the full renderings, this along with Pavilions are the two biggest projects for downtown right now, kinda like the Rockets building around Yao and McGrady, they can build around Pavilions and the park, except it wont turn out as bad as the Rockets season did, lol

i can finally take a sigh of relief, i thought this thing was gonna be a bunch of talk, but i was wrong, i cant wait to see the full renderings, this along with Pavilions are the two biggest projects for downtown right now, kinda like the Rockets building around Yao and McGrady, they can build around Pavilions and the park, except it wont turn out as bad as the Rockets season did, lol

I know huh?! Dude, if only the Parks Shops can come through, who knows; maybe they could be a triple threat:)

I think the design looks great! For some reason, it kinda reminds me of a downtown Hermann Park :P You know, da model boats, da outdoor amphitheatre... :)

Also, I wonder if the current major festivals like the International Festival and others that are usually on downtown streets will relocate there once the park is complete. THe articles say there's a "Great Lawn" in the park, which made me curious.

Yo, on the official park site, it says the full renderings will be posted up here tomorrow (May 10th)...

http://www.houstondowntownpark.org/

Also, here's more details from the Chonicle. It says in the article that there will be a park naming contest in August (I dare you to name it Trump Park :P ), and my personal favorite, it says that one of the two restaurants will have a second floor patio to soak in the views of the trees and downtown skyline...

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metrop...an/3849812.html

in the end it looks a lot like a good compromise between the green space people and the activity people. A few things that are more activity based and then a lot of grass and trees. Very nice. Of course a rendering is different, but the one thing I wasn't sure if it will still have is sports areas - such as volleyball or anything like that. i'm sure people can play informal games, but I thought itwould be nice to have a couple of standard park type sports available there (I really wanted tennis courts, but that does take up a lot of room)

All in all, looks great to me.

the final plan looks great. i'm not sure if i like the way the pond blocks one entire side of the park. it seems it would be more attractive and useful if it (the pond) was surrounded by park space on all sides. however, it does lend to a larger "great lawn" area. festival space seems to have been a priority for the park.

this is an amazing addition to downtown. finally, another piece of the puzzle (a big one at that) come into place.

is it '07 yet?

Edited by bachanon

I still have to laugh at this park. It's OK. I have a feeling it will revitalize downtown just like we thought MMP & TC would: Not very much.

And a putting green?

Oy freakin vey.

At this outrageous price, the city should start now buying surface lots to crate a chain of mini piazas.

I still think the citizens of Houston are getting ripped off in this deal. It's a park for real estate speculators.

A ) What's gonna keep this from being just another homeless magnet ?

B ) I guess this is a nice start.. but it seems to me to be too small and positioned to only benefit a small portion of downtown. Buisnessmen in the skyline district aren't gonna walk 8 blocks to eat lunch under a tree.

It seems that until some of the ideas realized in the buffalo bayou plan are realized, like expanding Sam Houston Park, and the Commerce street waterfront, that Downtown isn't going to have a 'Park life'.

But I guess its the cummulative effort of several smaller parks, so yeah.. this a good start..

downtownpark.jpg

I still have to laugh at this park. It's OK. I have a feeling it will revitalize downtown just like we thought MMP & TC would: Not very much.

I agree.. I dont think this park by itself is gonna do the job. It's a start though.

As for the downtown revitalization.. I think it will happen eventually.

Residential developers are sitting around waiting on each other...

Perhaps once one developer takes a chance, the rest of the dominoes will fall and we'll all get this residential boom we've been hearing about down there.

From the Chron..

"Last year, a Colorado developer purchased a block of land to build a high-rise residential tower just north of the park site. The company, LandCo, said it would wait until 2008 to start construction to give the downtown residential market more time to strengthen. In February, Houston apartment developer Marvy Finger purchased a 1.4-acre site near the park for another project. The details are expected to be announced soon."

"Last year, a Colorado developer purchased a block of land to build a high-rise residential tower just north of the park site. The company, LandCo, said it would wait until 2008 to start construction to give the downtown residential market more time to strengthen. In February, Houston apartment developer Marvy Finger purchased a 1.4-acre site near the park for another project. The details are expected to be announced soon."

Yes. The speculators are in position.

The speculators are ALWAYS in position. Nothing new there.