Houston Livestock Show And Rodeo

Subdude

Those were awesome Mark. I'm getting my Part II thread together right now. My ZZ-Top photos suck compared to yours, but I was in the nose bleed section.

Looks like you had some great seats.

The show rocked!!!!

Can't take credit for those. My twins were there, I am in Wyoming working. They had passes to be out on the arena floor, they had a blast, I think there days of Hip Hop are over, They have been ZZ'd by the Reverend Billy G! They emailed me those last night at midnight. They called me on the way home from the show and they were gabbing on and on, like they'd just found the cure for cancer. They weren't gonna go because it wasn't "their kind of music", but they're hooked on crack now. The boys from Texas must have turned out the house. They have more pictures and when I get home I will post them in your Part II section.

Thanks Boris.

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Neighbor gave us tickets to the Rodeo today. Here are some pics:

Shot from the bus ride from the park & ride:

005.jpg

010.jpg

Views toward the Texas Medical Center from Reliant Stadium:

012.jpg

013.jpg

014.jpg

015.jpg

016.jpg

The carnival and rides:

030.jpg

031.jpg

There're the kids:

042.jpg

043.jpg

040.jpg

Not us:

051.jpg

The wifa:

059.jpg

Kids back on the coaster:

055.jpg

The rodeo:

022.jpg

024.jpg

026.jpg

029.jpg

Pano:

Pan1.jpg

Adios:

016.jpg

Awesome photos. I took a very similar shot to this one at night (Friday) as well as some general rodeo pics but I don't think mine came out as well as yours except for that one. I'll post mine at some point.

Post it here.

And thx for the response.

I thought perhaps I should have asked a question, like, "Can you guess the purpose of this rodeo" to get responses.

Edited by Boris

• 11 months later...

No JLW, you gotta get in with a crew. Sheeats is right, definately not worth the price of admission, because if you ain't a part of any particular tent's crew, you really aren't welcome at any of those tents. It is strictly a "Good 'Ol Boys", private party, type of mentality.

I got kicked out the Miller Lite tent in 1995, because I was drunk and stupid. Didn't get kicked out because of being drunk, but being stupid enough to bring in two cans of Budweiser with me from the Budweiser tent.

Edited by TJones

Agree with the first 2 replies - I scored tent tickets once and had a WAY different experience than the general public. Free booze, way more food, and an all day party. Unless you just like to walk around, people-watch, and smell barbecue it might be boring watching everyone else go into private tents to party. I did talk to a lot of other barbecue teams while walking around, but they weren't offering food or entry into their tent. There are so many people, they just have to limit it to tickets/invites/wrist bands or however they keep track of it.

It's unfair that they rip off the general public to come wander around in the middle of what is essentially a private party. Scoring tent tickets is HUGE. The level of drunken debauchery is quite high among all the corporate stiffs. Almost as fun as the hospitality suites at the OffShore Technology Conference back in the day.

went last night and had a blast!!! but then I was "in" with a couple of tents. I would definatley say that you need to have access to a private tent for it to be fun, but was told by a friend who had a tent that girls can generally get in anywhere if they ask right :P I also understand there is a free band/concert saturday night. not sure who though.

So Red, if you ticket just gets you in to the bbq, I'd maybe pass (7 bucks woo hoo). If its for a specific booth or a tent, get you boots and bells out and enjoy.

Heh, I had just been offered tickets to the cookoff about an hour before this thread started. I tired of the rhinestone redneckery years ago, but was thinking of going tomorrow for lack of anything better to do. Sounds like I need to confirm just what these free tickets are.

Or you could just go to the Shiloh. They have a BBQ out on the deck. That counts, right? :D

The way that they market this event is kinda deceiving. In this morning's Chron, an article says "it is a place to get a vast range of deliciously good eats to tempt your palate." Then at very end of the article, it says "what you get is a chopped beef sandwich plate with chips and beans from the Chuck Wagon." Yep, that's real vast. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

went last night and had a blast!!! but then I was "in" with a couple of tents. I would definatley say that you need to have access to a private tent for it to be fun, but was told by a friend who had a tent that girls can generally get in anywhere if they ask right :P I also understand there is a free band/concert saturday night.

Once again, ladies prove how they have an advantage over us men.

Wink at us right and we turn into a puddle and hand over the keys. ;)

• Like 1

This has made me wonder, I've not seen any tent passes come my way this year. I would not attend unless I had a pass. Also, all tents are not created equal. Some are a throw-down good time and others lame.

I think I'll stay away anyway. Last time I went, we had little boot tequila shot glasses on a ribbon around our necks and they pour very generously. I'll stop at that... :blink:

Edited by rsb320

This has made me wonder, I've not seen any tent passes come my way this year. I would not attend unless I had a pass. Also, all tents are not created equal. Some are a throw-down good time and others lame.

I think I'll stay away anyway. Last time I went, we had little boot tequila shot glasses on a ribbon around our necks and they pour very generously. I'll stop at that... :blink:

The cookoff can be very, uh, incriminating once the tequila starts flowing! :D

Even in REAL BBQ/Chili cook-offs most cooks serve the general public crappy stuff and save the good stuff for the judges and their friends. At least every one I have been involved in.

I went to one in Dillon, CO that was big for that town, and most of the teams there travel all over the country doing this. The way they pay for their travels is to sell plates to the public after they submit their competition food. I thought it was pretty good. This one in Houston just has a totally different flavor, it's all about sponsorships and parties. Yeah there are probably smaller teams all about the cooking, but mostly it's not.

• The title was changed to Houston Livestock Show And Rodeo
  • 1 year later...

HLSR is around the corner! Anybody planning on going to this year's concerts or to the World's Championship Bar-B-Que Contest?

A little Houston secret is the chocolate chip cookies you can buy. So tasty, which means they're so bad for you.

https://www.rodeohouston.com/plan-your-visit/music-and-concerts/

https://www.rodeohouston.com/worlds-championship-bar-b-que/

kHtK3aG.jpg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Highrise Tower said:

HLSR is around the corner! Anybody planning on going to this year's concerts or to the World's Championship Bar-B-Que Contest?

A little Houston secret is the chocolate chip cookies you can buy. So tasty, which means they're so bad for you.

https://www.rodeohouston.com/plan-your-visit/music-and-concerts/

https://www.rodeohouston.com/worlds-championship-bar-b-que/

kHtK3aG.jpg

When it comes to rodeo cookies, this one is still the champ both on the tasty and the really, really bad for you levels. 😜

deep-fried-oreos_17371.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1