Houston Livestock Show And Rodeo

Subdude

True. But if you like George you should get this DVD. It's a really cool and is a nice little tribute to the Dome:

For the Last Time: Live from the Astrodome

B00007JSKI.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1116740802_.jpg

Actually I was at that show. A friend of mine got tickets. I'll have to check out the dvd.

And just to clarify, I don't stand in line either if I get concert tickets. I meant that more as a figure of speech not literally. Kind of like if I was to say "I got the new George Strait cd" what I probably meant was that I downloaded it from iTunes.

My sister's on the Rodeo committee, so I neither have to stand in line or go online. I can get first dibs on any of them before they go on sale. :closedeyes:

Anyway, I'm at least going to go with my mom to see Reba Mycintire. I'm not the biggest fan of country music, but I'm looking forward to it. I haven't been to the rodeo in years. The last one I went to was with Enrique Iglesias who I was a huge fan of proir to seeing him live. Man, he was awful. I haven't been the same fan since. Live Enrique is a major turn off.

Well two things, and not that it affect the true artistic nature of the artist or his credibility for standing the test of time.

I just noticed that he is not in the media spot light anymore as far as magazine and new outlets

Nor, does his "new" music get airtime?

Just curious, I am not living under a rock and don't listen to country stations or CMT that often, but I don't hear much about him.

Yes, George is still all over country radio. Here are his last 3 albums:

It Just Comes Natural by George Strait (Audio CD - Oct 3, 2006)

Contains George's 53rd #1 hit and more to come...

Somewhere Down in Texas by Strait, George (Audio CD - Jun 28, 2005)

Contains George's 52nd #1 hit

50 Number Ones by Strait, George (Audio CD - Oct 5, 2004)

Actually it's now 51 #1's, "I Hate Everything" was a new song on the album that hit #1 after it's release.

My favorite picks this year in order:

1. George Strait

2. ZZ Top

3. Alan Jackson

4. Toby Keith

5. Josh Turner

Josh Turner, uh, what a dissapointment. I liked a couple of his songs that were on the radio and then I read on his website on how he likes to write songs that make you think. I like John Mayer a lot, so I thought that this was country music's Mayer. I got his cd and boy was I wrong. His songs are sooo generic is ridiculous. I always give a cd a chance and listen to the whole thing over and over and it normally ends up rubbing off on me after I really soke it in. His songs were so bad and generic that I couldn't even do that. I think the cd is somewhere on the floor in my house right now. Josh Turner is clique, yuck

Like I said before, Brad Paisley is the man in country music

Edited by lockmat
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I went to the rodeo and the Astrodome was named "The Hideout" What's the deal with it? It looks dark when i leave work? When i went for cook off i don't think anyone was allowed in. I'm headed back tomorrow.

the dome is still used for the rodeo just not for the same purpose.

I went to the rodeo and the Astrodome was named "The Hideout" What's the deal with it? It looks dark when i leave work? When i went for cook off i don't think anyone was allowed in. I'm headed back tomorrow.

i think they are using it as a C&W night club/dance club called (as you mentioned) the hideout.

i don't think it cranks up until after the show ends.

• Like 1

I haven't gone to The Hideout this year, but I went last year. I believe that it is opened before, during, and after the rodeo, but it probably doesn't get crowded until after the show. If you get the opportunity to go, do so. It's a little surreal to stand on the floor of the Dome and look up at the rainbow colored seats and think about all the athletes over the years who have had the same vantage point.

• Like 1

Those are really nice!

I wish I had gotten the chance to explore more when I went last Thursday. I think the livestock show, carnival, food, etc, is more interesting than the rodeo itself. Sitting there for two hours waiting for the concert, eating bad expensive, stadium food to pass time gets boring. I feel sorry for the animals when they lasso them and jerk them to the ground and I'm not some animal rights nut. Perhaps one of the most interesting things of the evening was spotting a long-time family friend cheating on his wife. Apparently.

Next time I'm not going to sit for two hours and watch the rodeo. I'm going to walk around until 20-30 minutes before the concert starts. I noticed that's what the majority of people do anyway. They start pouring in around 9:00.

As for that guy, he had his head hanging down as he was walking up the stadium steps, probably hoping someone wouldn't recognize him. Oops. But like I said, it was apparent. He looked pretty cozy with the blonde, though, and his wife was nowhere in sight. I feel sorry for her. They've been together since high school.

Something I forgot to try was one of those deep fried Snickers bars, Twinkies or Oreos. I've always wanted to try one of those and didn't even think about it until I saw them on the news the next day.

Edited by KimberlySayWhat

I tried the deep fried twinkie. It wasn't an earth-shattering culinary experience, but I guess it was OK. Next time I'll just go for the old fashioned funnel cake.

I happen to enjoy the rodeo more than the concerts- they move things along really quickly and there are some awesome cowboys out there competing. The concerts are so abbreviated anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Those were awesome Mark. I'm getting my Part II thread together right now. My ZZ-Top photos suck compared to yours, but I was in the nose bleed section.

Looks like you had some great seats.

The show rocked!!!!

Apologize in advance for some of fuzzy shots. We were in the nose bleed section in the arena.

This time, the rodeo and ZZ Top Concert:

Making our way to the Reliant Stadium:

HoustonRodeo2007-2001.jpg

HoustonRodeo2007-2002.jpg

HoustonRodeo2007-2003.jpg

HoustonRodeo2007-2004.jpg

HoustonRodeo2007-2005.jpg

Fried oreos and coke, yeah bady!!!

HoustonRodeo2007-2006.jpg

HoustonRodeo2007-2007.jpg

HoustonRodeo2007-2008.jpg

HoustonRodeo2007-2009.jpg