Memories Of Sharpstown

Modernceo

Even HISD has rigged test scores at SHS to get funding and promotions of administrators. Years ago I bought a few of the SHS yearbooks from the 70s at an estate sale. If anyone wants to see a photo of a football team, dance, or club at the school from that era let me know and I can post.

Actually, the dropout rates were rigged. The Chronicle explains this here: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/topstory2/2073994.html

And Kimball got a strange punishment once his cover was blown: "Kimball, who first alerted Wichmann to the questionable dropout reports, has been reassigned to Ashford Elementary School, where his duties include cutting open ketchup packets for 5-year-olds who cannot open them. Kimball said if he is reprimanded he will file suit because he already signed an agreement with HISD saying that his reassignment would be his only punishment."

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went to Sharpstown Middle and SHS (I transferred there after a couple years at LECJ).

Granted my time at both was in the nineties. I went to Sharpstown Middle and even picked up the bus for summer school (which was at Welch) the same summer that the corner store next to it burned down. Some of the kids I was friends with showed up to the bus with backpacks FULL of candy, chips, watches, radios, beepers, etc. They made it in there and grabbed as much stuff as the could. They divvied the loot up between our relatively small group. I didn't think anything of it. We got in trouble later in the day though because one of the kids thought he should wear four watches at a time, three pagers and two walkmans. I wonder why we got caught. *thinks*

I loved Sharpstown High School. It wasn't a particularly miserable experience for me. I wasn't popular, but I wasn't unpopular. I was fat, but I wasn't the fat outcast, I was the cool fat kid.

All in all, as I look back, I really enjoyed high school. Wish I could go back. I'd have done a lot better with the ladies, that's for sure.

The only scandal was Mr. Wyatt, the TV/media teacher (we had a full production television studio) was getting it on with many of the female teachers as well as students. I walked in on him a couple times (I had a key to the room). Once with another teacher. Another time with a cheer leader. He was a horribly dirty old man, but he was nice to us.

• 1 month later...
I still have that record! :)Okay give me a first name!
Julie MainLived on the corner of Neff and Larkwood for what seemed like forever at the time.Is this Carolyn Wilhelm?
I was also in the last Ninth grade class to go from Jane Long to SHS. Got to SHS as a Sophomore and had a bunch of Freshmen under me! ;) I get the Main idea of your username, but I don't quite get the enviro ;) Didn't you also play basketball at SHS? Carolyn!!! Hey there!

This is Julie Main, Environmental Scientist. Who is this????

Yes, I played BB in high school too. Had a personal reunion with Dawn Simmons, Stacey Wilbanks, Becca Grassl, Julie Murphy, Lisa Baum and more a few years back. It was very nice. Becca is talking about putting another customized reunion together again.

Peace,

JAM

GWilson, Sharpstown High School now has uniforms.

As for what it is like as of writing: http://www.schooldigger.com/go/TX/schools/...583/school.aspx - 1834 kids

Sharpstown Middle School has uniforms too.

As of writing: http://www.schooldigger.com/go/TX/schools/...584/school.aspx - 1211 kids

I drove by the other day and noticed that. I was surprised.

I live near the middle school, so I knew that already.

I wish they'd enforce the way the uniforms are worn though.

I wish they'd enforce the way the uniforms are worn though.

See, I hate it when people go "I want the kids to wear uniforms because I'm tired of pants sagging" - That argument is terrible and your quote shows why. Uniforms do not change the "way" the clothing is worn.

See, I hate it when people go "I want the kids to wear uniforms because I'm tired of pants sagging" - That argument is terrible and your quote shows why. Uniforms do not change the "way" the clothing is worn.

True. Unless you are a very young male, you cannot possibly like the baggy pants, gangsta look. It's a generational thing. I have seen so many fashion statements come and go in my lengthy lifetime, and even those wearing those awful clothes will regret the look in 10 years. I notice that even the "sports clothing stores" are carrying a line of "urban wear", you know, the baggy pants, show your boxer shorts , look, lol. The more the older generations object, the more desirable the look. It is ugly, but it will pass.

True. Unless you are a very young male, you cannot possibly like the baggy pants, gangsta look. It's a generational thing. I have seen so many fashion statements come and go in my lengthy lifetime, and even those wearing those awful clothes will regret the look in 10 years. I notice that even the "sports clothing stores" are carrying a line of "urban wear", you know, the baggy pants, show your boxer shorts , look, lol. The more the older generations object, the more desirable the look. It is ugly, but it will pass.

In fact, I am 19 going on 20, and I prefer having a belt.

• 2 weeks later...
yesterday on 26 news at 9, isiah carey had a story on sharpstown and what started its demise. many blame mr sharp himself who was convicted in the sharpstown scandal in the early 70's and didn't devote as much time to sharpstown as a whole from that point on.

66ajm6r.jpg

Found the video online, interesting report. Sorry for the old post, but I noticed the video was not linked.

It would be interesting to find out what the master plan is for the redevelopment of Sharpstown. I noticed the streets got a nice face lift, and the old Gillman dealerships are cleared out, ready for some new buildings.

• 2 months later...
My family moved to Sharpstown in 1970. I went to Bonham Elementary and my older sisters went to Sharpstown Jr. High then Sr. High. We moved to Dallas in 1978. I attened one year at the Sr. High (1977). I was in the band (Mr. Trevathan s.p.?). The jazz section of our band played at Good Time Charlies on the weekends. What a great time that was. I remember another mall that was built during that time called Westwood Mall??? We use to walk that mall on the weekends trying to meet boys (ha ha). Sharpstown was very "happening" in the 70's. I heard that the area we lived in has changed in the demographics but there are a few families that still live on our block. I heard about Astroworld and was crushed. We spent every moment we could over there (season passes). I even took my husband there once when we were down at Galveston. That park ROCKED. Do yall remember Gemco? That was really cool cause you had to have a membership to get in. We use to collect the shopping baskets and return them for something (can't remember what we got). I spent a lot of time in the Braeburn Valley bayou (lol). We use to play like crazy down in all that *crap*....uggg. Do you remember the restaurant called Across the Street? You ordered your food from your table using a telephone. How cool was that. I could ramble forever about how great things were growing up there. The only thing I can remember that I DONT miss is the COCKROACHES. OMGoodness. I still live in fear of those things.

Thanks for reading and hope all is well for everyone B)

I also was in Mr. Trevathan's band in 1977. I graduated SHS in 1979. Email me so I know who you are.

• 4 weeks later...
I also was in Mr. Trevathan's band in 1977. I graduated SHS in 1979. Email me so I know who you are.

On page D1 in today's Houston Chronicle, there's an article entitled: "Sharpstown Center in Chapter 11, for sale." I wonder if they'll find a buyer?

On page D1 in today's Houston Chronicle, there's an article entitled: "Sharpstown Center in Chapter 11, for sale." I wonder if they'll find a buyer?

On page D4 it reads: "...as of Dec. 31, the mall's owner had received offers, including one in excess of $48 million." Now, I don't know anything about mall value, but is $48 million a big amount?

The mall is worth in excess of 70 million, so no, 48 isn't that much.

Thankfully, the price will ensure that the new development is going to have to be relatively upscale. Be it a new condo development (mid-rise condos al a midtown) or commercial development (think a Town & Country/Memorial style pad development), I'm fine with either.

The mall will most likely go for closer to 55million. It simply isn't possible to turn a profit with something less than that in the space they have.

The mall is worth in excess of 70 million, so no, 48 isn't that much.

Isn't it worth whatever someone will pay? Where do you get 70 million?

Thankfully, the price will ensure that the new development is going to have to be relatively upscale.

I think you've got the cause and effect reversed there. The price won't determine how "upscale" the development is. The profitability of the development will determine the price.

How do you build something upscale in a neighborhood that is spiraling downwards?

Quote of the month! It will be like a lamb in the middle of a pack of wolves. (New customers that is)

Move to Crater Houston, yes. Then exit stage left. :)

I really wish people would realize that Sharpstown is not as bad as it is made out to be. The constant confusion of other areas with Sharpstown doesn't help.

The area isn't spiraling downward at all. It certainly has its ills, but no more or less than any other area. The Sharpstown area still has a strong middle and upper middle class population and increasing property values.

When people stop mistaking "Southwest Houston" with Sharpstown every time they hear something negative on the news, I will be very happy. You can walk the streets in the neighborhoods at midnight and not worry about a thing. It is not an unsafe place to be by any means.

The mall is trash. The 70million number was from the very article referenced, try reading it. As far as what gets built there, the only thing that can be remotely profitable with a cost of 40 million plus (if you read the article, you'd see that there are already bids nearing 50 million) is some sort of upscale retail development or residential multi-family. The location on the SW freeway is ideal for both.

The mall needs to be trashed. It would be great if it could be restored to its mid-century glory, but that just isn't going to happen. As it is, it isn't an unsafe place. It just isn't nice.

It is laughable to me how people portray Sharpstown without any real knowledge of the area, its history, and its present.

The apartment complexes that were built 30+ years ago are starting to fall in to disrepair. As they need to be remodeled or rebuilt, the prices will start going up, driving out the core problem for the Sharpstown area (low rent multi-family complexes). Thankfully, the biggest problem in Sharpstown, the Carnivale night club, will be shut down this year.

• 3 weeks later...
Something tells me the Super Slide won't be included in the final price...but that's a whole 'nother thread!

A thread that will include the Super Slide, the "Clock of Texas" automatronical diorama in Sharpstown Shopping Center (I learned the Six Flags from that thing),

The Pink Poodle pet salon,

and McIntyre's TV shop.

This one seems to have everything else!

A thread that will include the Super Slide, the "Clock of Texas" automatronical diorama in Sharpstown Shopping Center (I learned the Six Flags from that thing),

The Pink Poodle pet salon,

and McIntyre's TV shop.

This one seems to have everything else!

I remember the Super Slide! And you only have to look at my avatar to see I remember The Clock of Texas.

I really wish people would realize that Sharpstown is not as bad as it is made out to be. The constant confusion of other areas with Sharpstown doesn't help.

I'm with you gwilson! "Southwest Houston" does not mean Sharpstown.

If you are talking about the Fiesta on Bellaire and Hillcroft, it used to be a store called Globe in the 70's. It was alone, yet close enough to the Sharpstown Drive-In Theater.

Yes, it was a Globe and I believe Fed Mart before that, but could be mistaken.

Anybody else have Dr Stuart Cohen as their pediatrician? I remember a few polio sugar cubes and other vaccinations in his office back in the 60's and early 70's

Yep, Cohan.

Both of my kids (now 18 and 13), my wife and her brother.

Good old no-nonsense family medicine.

His daughter Caryn has the practice now, at Bellaire Blvd at Loop 610.

Sorry, Sharpstown was kind of cheesy when I first started driving and was allowed to go shopping by myself in the middle '60s. And today it's no place I would ever go. Put it out of its misery.

Far from it. Sharpstown is on track to be the next Bellaire. The mall either needs some serious help or redevelopment. Either way, it won't be a flea market that takes its place.

I challenge those who talk so ill of Sharpstown to one, do some research. You'll find it to be a VERY safe place. Second, take a drive through the Country Club Terrace and Country Club Estates neighborhoods and tell me they aren't beautiful. Great old MCM, bungalows, atomic ranches along oak tree lined streets with kids playing, couples walking, birds chirping and dogs barking.

Sharpstown has it cancerous areas that absolutely need to be excised. Don't paint the entire area for them or for the areas common confused with Sharpstown. As someone mentioned earlier, SOUTHWEST HOUSTON does NOT equate SHARPSTOWN. Just because idiots in Gulfton, Forum Park, Fondren Southwest and Alief are thinning the herd, doesn't mean you're going to get shot or car jacked in Sharpstown.

• 5 months later...
LOVE IT. I think I see my Mom. :D

Remember that place even though I was 4 or 5 at the time. There used to be a hobby shop near that clock. My Dad bought my N guage train and all the materials to make the track, etc. at that hobby shop.

I don't really know what Sharpstown is like today, but it was certainly nice back then.

Yah, and that hobby shop had the coolest little automated display case. I remember pushing the little up and down button to make the display case cycle through all the stuff in it. It was sort of like a huge ferris wheel inside a glass case. I bought my Aurora Spiderman model there that every kid had to master painting him red and blue with all the tiny hard to paint black web lines.

Now if my memory still serves correct direct across from the hobby store was the toy store to end all toy stores. I still remember buying the Batman LP record here. It had the theme on it and other songs devoted to his arch enemies.

There was also a music store close by if not next door. My fourth grade trombone came from that store. I remember all the kids trying to play the organs with a bossa nova beat.

Archived