The Sussex High-Rrise At 7520 Hornwood Dr.

I was checking out har.com and found several condos in the $40-70k range at THE SUSSEX highrise on 7520 Hornwood Dr near Sharpstown mall off of 59. Does anyone know if this is a nice condo complex to live in? What about the area of town? Along the same lines, anyone have any thoughts of 2016 Main in Downtown?

I'm looking for a purchase a condo but I would like to keep the price under 80k if possible. Does anyone know where I could get info on maintience fees for condos in Houston? Har does not list them.

Thanks

Josh

• Like 1

To be honest, I know little about the twin Sussex Towers other than units seem to constantly turn over there. Sharpstown is also not the nicest area to say the least.

As for the 2016, the units vary WIDELY. I've been in some that were dumps and others that looked incredible. The one thing all units have in common are some unbeatable views. Additionally, there's a great new jazz/blues club in the lobby and access to light rail. The downside is the proximity to the Greyhound station.

That said, I'd choose the 2016 over the Sussex to be sure!

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. What's the average rate for a condo maintence fee in Houston? The mortage calculator on sites like har.com ignore this key financial data.

Maintenance fees vary widely depending on the services of the buildings. "Full Service" building have someone to park the cars, bring up the groceries, etc. Usually these are the newer buildings and electricity is not included in the monthly fee. Budget 50 to 60 cents per square foot for this type of building.

The Sussex, 2016 Main and the Lamar tower have electricity in the monthly fee. So does 1400 Hermann. I would not choose a building with this set up.

The neighborhood of the Sussex (in my opinion) is dangerous. 2016 has seen almost no appreciation in value. I understand they are having flooding problems in the lobby. At one time their intersection with Main Street was one of the highest crime rates in the city. It was attributed to the bus station.

5000 Montrose is a great building and priced right. Also check at the mid rise Il Pallazzo.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
Maintenance fees vary widely depending on the services of the buildings. "Full Service" building have someone to park the cars, bring up the groceries, etc. Usually these are the newer buildings and electricity is not included in the monthly fee. Budget 50 to 60 cents per square foot for this type of building.

The Sussex, 2016 Main and the Lamar tower have electricity in the monthly fee. So does 1400 Hermann. I would not choose a building with this set up.

The neighborhood of the Sussex (in my opinion) is dangerous. 2016 has seen almost no appreciation in value. I understand they are having flooding problems in the lobby. At one time their intersection with Main Street was one of the highest crime rates in the city. It was attributed to the bus station.

5000 Montrose is a great building and priced right. Also check at the mid rise Il Pallazzo.

I came accross this post recently and would like to correct some mis-information. The sussex has THE least expensive maintenance fees in houston 31cents per foot.

It does not include the electric, each unit has a separate meter. Although it is in a "dangerous" area, i run on a regular basis, unaccosted.

Least expensive highrise in the city, near hwy59, close to the loop.

Tony Cavaliero

• Like 1

I came accross this post recently and would like to correct some mis-information. The sussex has THE least expensive maintenance fees in houston 31cents per foot.

It does not include the electric, each unit has a separate meter. Although it is in a "dangerous" area, i run on a regular basis, unaccosted.

Least expensive highrise in the city, near hwy59, close to the loop.

Tony Cavaliero

Welcome to the system and thanks for the correction.

It is always good to hear from the horse's mouth where we have a tendency to do quite a bit of speculation and old facts.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
Welcome to the system and thanks for the correction.

It is always good to hear from the horse's mouth where we have a tendency to do quite a bit of speculation and old facts.

In looking at HAR postings for the Sussex, it appears that a lot of units do not have washers/dryers. Is this always the case, or does it vary unit to unit?

• Like 1

• The title was changed to The Sussex Highrise In Sharpstown
  • The title was changed to The Sussex High-Rrise At 7520 Hornwood Dr.