Memories Of Sharpstown

Modernceo

Yah, and that hobby shop had the coolest little automated display case. I remember pushing the little up and down button to make the display case cycle through all the stuff in it. It was sort of like a huge ferris wheel inside a glass case. I bought my Aurora Spiderman model there that every kid had to master painting him red and blue with all the tiny hard to paint black web lines.

Now if my memory still serves correct direct across from the hobby store was the toy store to end all toy stores. I still remember buying the Batman LP record here. It had the theme on it and other songs devoted to his arch enemies.

There was also a music store close by if not next door. My fourth grade trombone came from that store. I remember all the kids trying to play the organs with a bossa nova beat.

I vaguely remember that display case! But, like I said...I had to have been about 5 years old at the time. lol!

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I vaguely remember that display case! But, like I said...I had to have been about 5 years old at the time. lol!

That music store was H&H Music...between the mall central flag display and Montgomery Wards. Great place to gawk at guitars and drum kits. I don't even know if H&H is still around today...Brochstein's was another great music place but all that's left of that empire is the drumstick factory (Pro Mark) on South Main. Parker and Evans, two old Houston music store icons , are just shells of their former selves.

Guitar Center is the "Big Gorilla"

Hi all,

I'm a U of H grad student. I'm writing a paper about Sharpstown's demographic change in the past 30 or so years. I was hoping you all might answer a few questions about your knowledge of Sharpstown for my paper.

1. If you live in Sharpstown, when did you move and how long have you lived there?

2. If you used to live in Sharpstown, but have since moved, why did you move and where do you live now?

3. What do you think caused the demographic shift in Sharpstown in the 1980s (i.e. what caused more minorities move to Sharpstown)?

4. Is Sharpstown a suburb? Why or why not?

5. What is your first name?

Thanks for all who reply!

Aside from H & H Music there was a record shop next to a Merle Norman's beauty shop that had a bulletin board with business cards for any bands that were available for "gigs". Of course this was the mid to late 1960s and the music scene was wild for high school garage bands for sock hops, parties, etc. The competition was fierce but it sure was fun playing in those great days.

• 3 weeks later...
I don't personally remember this playground at the drive-in, but I found this in Google Images. It may be because Mom & Dad always brought us at night and we were pretty young. I remember my Dad getting fresh with my Mom there, lol.

24qlhzt.jpg

I remember playing on that playground but it must have been a bit after it opened because it didn't look as nice as the photo.

I played on a soccer team at Bayland Park in the mid-60's. My mother gave me a dime before each game, which I would put in my shoe. After the game, my brother and I would cross the ditch to the Purple Cow for ice cream (he had his own dime).

Here's one for all the old timers. Seems like 3 years ago I was in this photo. This is 1967.

15ds7cg.jpg

My sister was a waitress at that Walgreen's in the early 70's. I used to love watching that clock go off every hour.

Was doing a search and I stumbled on to this site and thread!! I have read the whole thing. DrFood has many of my same recollections, same age as well.

Here is my attempt to stir the cobwebs! :blink:

We moved to Edgemore and Cannok in (second house from NW corner) Oct'58 from Dallas. I was 7 months old.

Hurricane Carla hit September of ’61 when I was 3. We had a lot of roof damage and all of the fences were down. Some folks had much more, some less. We were two houses from the corner, so the water was pretty deep at the intersection. More than

we lived on Darnell from about 69 when I was born until about 72-73 looks like it was the 5th house down from Bonhomme right behind the HS

I was pretty young back then....we had a fort in the back corner of the lot that looked over into the HS fields.....had a big Osage Orange tree in the back....no fence between us and the neighbors yard to the west with kids the same age.......after we moved to San antonio for 6-9 months (then back to Houston) they had moved from there as well, but my parents still keep up with them today.....the father was a foot doctor and they had several kids so they moved for a bigger place......the neighbors on the other side were older especially for that area (probably late 50s or early 60s), but were really nice.....at first had no fence between the back yards there as well, but them and my dad and rented a post hole auger and put one in because we were going to get a dog or we had the dog already....they just wanted a tad bit of privacy from all the kids and pets....but they were really good neighbors......they must have liked kids because the street was full of them and they never complained about any of it

parents had a re-nault at the time, but put it around the corner on bonhomme and sold it to some high school kid...my brother was 3-4 years older so he went to elementary school there, but I was too young......our dog Tippy bit a post man so we had to give him away to some people that lived in the sticks....never got sued over any of that....do remember one night I did not want to take a bath and ran out the door naked and my brothers friends were playing "the circle game" in the drive way and had to run and catch me

we had a basketball goal and we would let all the kids on the street use it unless it was my nap time.....we eventually had some type of setup to let them know if it was nap time or not.....i think it was if we left the ball outside the door then it was ok....if no ball then don't play even if with your own basketball

my brothers group of friends all had nick names from one cartoon series at the time.....can't remember the series, but one of them was rubberbandman and I think another was underwearman

we probably would have lived there for a long time if my dad was not transfered for a short time to San Antonio

Texasvines, if you lived right by the HS, what was that property to the west with the abandoned ranch home. It was abandoned with books, furniture paperwork etc. We used to skip class and go over there. :o

I was WAY too young to remember any of that.......new born to 4 years old when we lived there

our neighbor was Dr. Hack

it was actually the 8th house down west of Bonhamme we lived and our dog bit an old guy walking for health not the postman.....it also tossed a cat to death that the neighbor kid brought over to "play" with our dof when it was chained up.....not the kids cat he just thought our dog wanted a friend....the dog was not biting it it was trying to play with it and was too rough

the signal for baskatball was if the drapes on my room were open....not the ball being outside

all this after confirming with my parents who are in town for a visit

GWilson and Sharpstown defenders. I am a 52 yo native Houstonian with family who still lives in a house near Beechnut and Gessner that was purchased in 1966 when Beechnut ended at the drainage ditch about a mile or so west of Gessner (NOT BRAES BAYOU).

You say Sharpstown is safe. I call BS on you and the defenders. I will not drive from my home in Westbury to my parents home after sundown. I will not put myself into danger in areas west of US 59. I shop regularly after dark in Fondren SW and feel no danger. Yes Alief and other areas need their own fixes, but that is not the point of this post.

I think I can speak in the position as someone who would be considered extremely knowledgeable about Sharpstown.

Trying to characterize it as NOT being in Southwest Houston or synonymous with Southwest Houston is a crock. Sharpstown is the best example of failed suburbia due to an economic downturn, extreme uncontrolled growth, and failed urban planning. In fact I would compare Sharpstown 1 to 1 with Gunspoint since 1985.

The only solution for Sharpstown is to do the following.

1. Demolish the area bounded by Clarewood, Fondren, and US 59. This is Sharpstown Mall and surrounding retail. Keep only the Conquistador, Arena Theatre and the office towers. In it's place build a town center type of shopping village with unique shopping. Also build high end gated homes with required architectural styling.

2. Along the Beechnut corridor from US 59 to Beltway 8 demolish all apartments and rebuild with home. There would be single family homes along Beechnut as was the original plans.

3. Along Gessner corridor from US 59 to Westpark Tollway demolish all apartments and strip centers. Replace with single family homes. Run light rail along Gessner to tie into rail at Memorial City.

4. Along Town Park and Ranchester demolish and rebuild all apartments. Create a high density housing district at this location. Provide proper services such as fire, police, libraries, shopping.

5. Demolish all abandoned businesses along Beechnut and US 59. Create new shopping districts which would include housing.

6. Require HBU to demolish the old Woolco shopping center at US 59 and Fondren. Including the BofA, Burger King, Shell station. The shopping center where the old Circuit City was. HBU would then clear this land to incorporate more of the university and eliminate blight.

7. Convert the old Target across from Sharpstown Mall into and office park.

8. The old SW Lincoln Mercury would be cleared and multifamily housing replace it.

9. Require all the homes along Bellaire Blvd that have been converted to businesses to be returned to single family homes.

10. Have the TIRZ become the first zoned area of Houston. Adopt strict building and other standards.

Sharpstown is an embarassment to those who grew up there when it was at its prime and there needs to be an exorcism. But please stop trying to tell folks Sharpstown doesn't have crime and is safe. It's not.

GWilson and Sharpstown defenders. I am a 52 yo native Houstonian with family who still lives in a house near Beechnut and Gessner that was purchased in 1966 when Beechnut ended at the drainage ditch about a mile or so west of Gessner (NOT BRAES BAYOU).

You say Sharpstown is safe. I call BS on you and the defenders. I will not drive from my home in Westbury to my parents home after sundown. I will not put myself into danger in areas west of US 59. I shop regularly after dark in Fondren SW and feel no danger. Yes Alief and other areas need their own fixes, but that is not the point of this post.

I think I can speak in the position as someone who would be considered extremely knowledgeable about Sharpstown.

Trying to characterize it as NOT being in Southwest Houston or synonymous with Southwest Houston is a crock. Sharpstown is the best example of failed suburbia due to an economic downturn, extreme uncontrolled growth, and failed urban planning. In fact I would compare Sharpstown 1 to 1 with Gunspoint since 1985.

The only solution for Sharpstown is to do the following.

1. Demolish the area bounded by Clarewood, Fondren, and US 59. This is Sharpstown Mall and surrounding retail. Keep only the Conquistador, Arena Theatre and the office towers. In it's place build a town center type of shopping village with unique shopping. Also build high end gated homes with required architectural styling.

I agree with this, though I'd love to see Sharpstown Mall be remodelled to its early day glory.

2. Along the Beechnut corridor from US 59 to Beltway 8 demolish all apartments and rebuild with home. There would be single family homes along Beechnut as was the original plans.

Absolutely agree

3. Along Gessner corridor from US 59 to Westpark Tollway demolish all apartments and strip centers. Replace with single family homes. Run light rail along Gessner to tie into rail at Memorial City.

Agree, and include all the duplexes. Need to leave some retail though. We need places to shop and eat.

4. Along Town Park and Ranchester demolish and rebuild all apartments. Create a high density housing district at this location. Provide proper services such as fire, police, libraries, shopping.

You forgot Forum Park.

5. Demolish all abandoned businesses along Beechnut and US 59. Create new shopping districts which would include housing.

What abandoned houses are you talking about? The duplexes? Those aren't abandoned, but definitely need to be redeveloped. I like the idea of a Rice Village style remodel in to business approach for the duplexes along Beechnut and Gessner.

6. Require HBU to demolish the old Woolco shopping center at US 59 and Fondren. Including the BofA, Burger King, Shell station. The shopping center where the old Circuit City was. HBU would then clear this land to incorporate more of the university and eliminate blight.

HBU owns the whole block and that center is profitable for them. It would be nice if it were redeveloped, but can't exactly force them since they are providing free land to one of the largest medical complexes in the country.

7. Convert the old Target across from Sharpstown Mall into and office park.

I'd actually like to see a second phase of a town center concept here with development of an mixed use retail/office on the old Gillman lot on Fondren and Bellaire.

8. The old SW Lincoln Mercury would be cleared and multifamily housing replace it.

No thanks. You've got too much multi-family already!

9. Require all the homes along Bellaire Blvd that have been converted to businesses to be returned to single family homes.

I don't necessarily agree with this, but they should have better up-keep and restrictions for signage.

10. Have the TIRZ become the first zoned area of Houston. Adopt strict building and other standards.

I've tried to start a discourse with the SCA for a while on this as new construction projects start in Sharpstown. I wanted them to enstate design standards so that people can't build new homes that completely alienate the historic style of the neighborhood.

Sharpstown is an embarassment to those who grew up there when it was at its prime and there needs to be an exorcism. But please stop trying to tell folks Sharpstown doesn't have crime and is safe. It's not.

I call BS on your BS claim. I live in Sharpstown, I drive around regularly after dark. I have had my Bentley, Maserati, BMW, Mercedes and Infiniti parked in my driveway without issue, I drive with the windows, again, no issue. The area is not at all unsafe, and the stats prove it as well. If you hit 59 near Hillcroft by the former celebration station, it is certainly seedier there. The other side of 59 (south side) is also worse (behind the old Sharpstown Hospital for example). The apartments behind the mall are crap as well. That said, people take walks at night here, play in their yards, relax, etc with no problems. Areas that ARE dangerous are Fondren SW (Fondren and W. Belfort / Willowbend) though it isn't horrible, Alief is total crap, Gulfton is crap.

Every area has its decent parts and crap parts, Sharpstown is no different. To paint it as unsafe is a crock of crap that cannot be substantiated by anything other than rumor and unfounded fear.

Sharpstown is a great area, even with its blemishes. There is growing interest in Sharpstown by investors. Sharpstown mall has a new suitor, as does the old Gillman lot. I, personally, am looking at buying a couple of the apartment complexes behind the mall for re-development and there are others looking as well. There are quite a few remodels going on in the section of Country Club Terrace I am in, and the values keep going up in spite of the softness of this end of the real estate market. In Country Club Estates, homes have broken the half a mil mark for a while now and are still going. If I have my kudos, I'll be buying one of the only empty lots on the golf course and building a new period appropriate, yet modern, home there.

There is re-development plans for the Harwin corridor, Bellaire, Gessner and 59 from Hilcroft to Bissonnett.

There is a lot in the works for Sharpstown and I am glad I live here.

Hell, they've even started remodelling the Conquistador tower!

As to your list, I've commented in red, and I agree with you for the most part, but you've neglected some of the worst areas of Sharpstown. The apartments behind Sharpstown Hospital, the multi-family down Fondren at Bissonnett, the high school, Gessner at Bissonnett (the entire Bissonnett corridor for that matter), the trash apartments on the north side of Sandspoint (Sandspoint apartments and Highland Green), the apartments just off Gessner @ Sandspoint, the entirety of Harwin, the Savoy business are (which needs modernization and redevelopment), just to name a few.

I love Sharpstown, but my blinders aren't on. I see its problems and love it in spite of them. I love the history of Sharpstown. I love the people (for the most part). I love the location (you simply cannot beat the location).

Just FYI, I can back my claims about safety up with stats since I check them regularly. My family is well known in Sharpstown and have been leaders in the establishment of the PID and TIRZ as well as the storefront in the mall, just to name a few things. We stay on top of the goings on in the area. The stats are also readily available on the HPD website. So I would suggest one check them before making claims about Sharpstown's safety. For example, in May of this year, in Sharpstown, there were: no armed robberies, no assaults, no murders with a total of 5 felony arrests, 2 stolen cars and 1 burglary. Doesn't sound exactly unsafe.

The suggestions just seem to be replacing multi-family residences with single-family residences. Maybe all areas should do that. That way we can keep out all of the people that cannot afford to own their own single family residence.

Multi-family doesn't automatically denote cheap. There is quite a lot of high end multi-familly.

That said, there is nothing wrong with not wanting multi-family, or poor people, in your area.

What I was referring to was to take and remake Sharpstown by removing current multifamily units from Beechnut, Gessner, Fondren mainly. Replace those with single family homes....how those homes are configured is up to the civic club to determine. When Frank Sharp laid Sharpstown out his intention was for Beechnut, Gessner, Fondren to have homes lining those streets similar to what Sharpstown 1 has. Also Meyerland and Braeburn Terrace/Robindell.

I have noting against multifamily units. Some folks just prefer to live in them versus owning a single family home. What I do have a huge problem with is the crime and decay that has blighted Sharpstown via the apartments and multifamily units. Back in the 1990's a member of Houston City Council (I forget his name) tried to get this done but mayor brown didn't like the idea. What I proposed is taking and zoning apartments to a specific geographic region of Sharpstown and provide the facilities they need to be best for the residents. I don't care if the residents make $10K per year or $100K per year or if they are green, purple, white, black, brown or any other race.

Apartments and homes don't work together.

What I was referring to was to take and remake Sharpstown by removing current multifamily units from Beechnut, Gessner, Fondren mainly. Replace those with single family homes....how those homes are configured is up to the civic club to determine. When Frank Sharp laid Sharpstown out his intention was for Beechnut, Gessner, Fondren to have homes lining those streets similar to what Sharpstown 1 has. Also Meyerland and Braeburn Terrace/Robindell.

I have noting against multifamily units. Some folks just prefer to live in them versus owning a single family home. What I do have a huge problem with is the crime and decay that has blighted Sharpstown via the apartments and multifamily units. Back in the 1990's a member of Houston City Council (I forget his name) tried to get this done but mayor brown didn't like the idea. What I proposed is taking and zoning apartments to a specific geographic region of Sharpstown and provide the facilities they need to be best for the residents. I don't care if the residents make $10K per year or $100K per year or if they are green, purple, white, black, brown or any other race.

Apartments and homes don't work together.

Looks like we're on the same page overall. I think the council member you're referring to is Mark Ellis.

Looks like we're on the same page overall. I think the council member you're referring to is Mark Ellis.

No it was not Mark Ellis. It was either John Goodner or Ray Driscoll. Can't remember now. I just know he was significantly unpopular with City Council members from the minority districts. What I remember is that he appeared on television numerous times with maps of Sharpstown and apartments were red for demolishion. His plan was to convert the area bounded by Westpark, Beltway 8, Beechnut, Corporate, Bellaire Blvd, Gessner as an apartment district. It's a weird shaped area, but lots of land. Plus he had a fire station, police substation, library, elementary school, middle school, high school to specifically service the area. It was controversial because no one in Houston had ever proposed something this unique. The remainder of the proposal was keep the apartments behind what used to be Sharpstown General Hospital, and add more where the old Memorial Baptist Hospital was (don't recall the name of the street). He also proposed demolishing all remaining apartments in Sharpstown. Townhomes and duplexes would be demolished where needed based on condition.

I think if the COH looked back at this proposal today they would admit that they missed an opportunity to straighten out the mess that they face today....unmaintained rat traps within Sharpstown. And if you further evaluate the opportunity missed you would see homeowners shopping at retail within Sharpstown.

One thing I do not understand is how Memorial Southwest has not helped Sharpstown get new homeowners and investors interested in demolishing the old K-Mart and Sam White dealership. Or even get investors to buy up apartments and build minicommunities like Bob Perry and Urban Lofts did inside the loop.

GWilson, we do see eye2eye somewhat. You just don't see my passion to fix Sharpstown. I have the same passion to finish fixing Westbury (where I live), I just don't have a civic club who wants to do anything more than landscape the esplanades. We've got the old Westbury Square site that has huge potential. Just need folks with time to work through the legal system to fix it.

• 2 weeks later...

At the risk of repeating a mention of this in the previous postings (which I've not all read), let me say there was a Marie Callender's pie place near Sharpstown Mall in the 70s. Only one in Texas that I had ever seen. Typically you would find those on the West Coast.

At the risk of repeating a mention of this in the previous postings (which I've not all read), let me say there was a Marie Callender's pie place near Sharpstown Mall in the 70s. Only one in Texas that I had ever seen. Typically you would find those on the West Coast.

The big Marie Callender's restaruants showed up much later...at least we had them when I lived in Austin. But the one you are referring to was TINY!! It was sandwiched in between Frank Gillman and the Conquistador. That was our regular Sunday School skipping destination. You'd think we skipped and bought pie - but I remember always getting a bowl of soup and their yummy cornbread!

sharpstown is a depressed area that i don't see coming back with all the crummy apartments in the area. my aunt lives off of gessner. i remember when she moved there in the 70's, gessner stopped at bellaire and picked up again around memorial. they extended gessner, built apartments and strip centers and by the mid 80's the area had gone to he!! in a hand basket. now she worries about the gunfire from the apartments nearby.

i went to st. agnes in the 70's and felt very safe there. i used to donate my newspapers there in the late 90's and they had to have a policeman patrolling the grounds. they finally built a fence around it a couple of years ago. it is so sad to see both st. agnes and strake in such a run-down area. you got to give them credit for being great schools that there is a waiting list even though getting there is depressing.

i was ecstatic that meyerland was able to come back, but they didn't have the thousands of run down apartments to keep it down like sharpstown does. i agree that getting rid of the rundown apartments is the only thing that will save sharpstown. i just can't imagine any young family wanting to move there and establishing roots like so many in the 60's did.

Yeah. Just like the mall, Sharpstown has really gone downhill. It's a shame but that's what happens almost everywhere they put apartments. I know someone that just started at HBU. The first thing they do is warn students that it is a very dangerous area and to take special precautions. I sometimes play at golf at Sharpstown. Still a great course but they are having lots of problems with thefts and vandalism.

• 2 months later...
we lived on Darnell from about 69 when I was born until about 72-73 looks like it was the 5th house down from Bonhomme right behind the HS

Wow! You would've been my neighbor had you stayed. I lived on Darnell Circle from mid 70s to mid 90s.

Apollopride I wonder if we went to the same church?

A group of us was known for skipping out on Sunday's both morning and evening. Marie Calendar's was great.

The big Marie Callender's restaruants showed up much later...at least we had them when I lived in Austin. But the one you are referring to was TINY!! It was sandwiched in between Frank Gillman and the Conquistador. That was our regular Sunday School skipping destination. You'd think we skipped and bought pie - but I remember always getting a bowl of soup and their yummy cornbread!

I call BS on your BS claim. I live in Sharpstown, I drive around regularly after dark.

Don't mean to offend anyone here, but I was mugged, stalked and my house broken into in Sharpstown. My car was also broken into by the stalker. Also had a flasher show me his goods while I was walking to school. And several neighbors had their houses broken into as well. I left in the mid-90s because I no longer felt safe there.

I'm glad you like living there but I would tell anyone considering moving there to check out the neighborhood well. There are many different parts of Sharpstown and some neighborhoods may be safer than others.

20s Girl, I don't think you offended anyone. You state facts that some don't want to hear/read.

I agree 100% with you about Sharpstown after dark. I beg my parents not to leave the house except for an emergency anytime after the street lights come on. It is far too dangerous to drive Beechnut/Gessner/Bellaire Blvd/Fondren and even Hillcroft after dark. There are too many thugs and crazies out there who want nothing more than to steal you blind or even kill you.

Best thing for folks to remember about Sharpstown is until you get rid of the apartments, you won't ever be safe.

Don't mean to offend anyone here, but I was mugged, stalked and my house broken into in Sharpstown. My car was also broken into by the stalker. Also had a flasher show me his goods while I was walking to school. And several neighbors had their houses broken into as well. I left in the mid-90s because I no longer felt safe there.

I'm glad you like living there but I would tell anyone considering moving there to check out the neighborhood well. There are many different parts of Sharpstown and some neighborhoods may be safer than others.

Wow! You would've been my neighbor had you stayed. I lived on Darnell Circle from mid 70s to mid 90s.

pretty small world....I believe across the street one or two houses down was the Wittinghams and they had a son about 5 years older than me named Clay and next to us was the Hacks....the podiatrist...not sure how much longer either of them lived there after we moved....I think next to us on the other side (to the east) was the Mcdougals

wow stalker and stalker breaking into your car......you need to learn to shoot!

You just stated the obvious. Some people are still living in the past. Back in the 60's and 70's Sharpstown used to be a great place. Now I hesitate to even drive through it at night.

Archived