Memories Of Sharpstown

Modernceo

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My Grandfather, Frank W. Sharp, built sharpstown. I think he would be happy to know that it is still active, and a topic of conversation more than 50 years after his dream became a reality.

Frank

I went to school with his daughter, Frances. Would that be your mother? If not, then she must be your aunt. She was a beautiful girl. Still is, I bet.

Hey Old_Sharpstown,

Thanks for your post. I almost got my feelings hurt and was glad to see you put "just kidding" next to something I/you said. That has been a few years ago and well, I have lost a few brain cells since then...just kidding :wacko: People were just plain mean today at work and guess I was already feeling kinda sorry for myself...lol.

I remembered the teacher's name (our band leader) was Jack Davis. I still think about that and wonder if it was really true. Even though he was a mean teacher I still could not see him doing something like that. Anyway, I moved to Dallas in 1978 so I did not hear about the gym teachers and stuff.

Oh Landsdale...what a place that was. I can still smell that clorine smell. We use to hang out at that basketball court area as well. Do you still live in the Houston area? I hear the area where we lived Beechnut/Troulon has really changed demographically.

Well, don't want to ramble. Fill me in on anything else that happened in that time frame if you have time.

Best regards,

Angie

It was flight to the "safety" of the 'burbs that got Sharpstown...I am waiting for the redev. The area is too convenient to 59 to remain in decline forever. And, Strake and St. Agnes offer incredible educations.

Strake and Agnes won't accept everyone who applies, though. In order to attract more families, the community must improve Sharpstown High and its feeder schools.

One of my teachers has a son in Sharpstown High.

• 2 weeks later...
My Grandfather, Frank W. Sharp, built sharpstown. I think he would be happy to know that it is still active, and a topic of conversation more than 50 years after his dream became a reality.

His plan all evolved around giving good folks a great place to call home.

It appears as if that has, and is still happening. Good dreams never die.

As we would walk around Sharpstown, he would describe what was to come, much the way an artist looks at a canvas and knows his inner vision will create something special, something one hopes will be a source of inspiration to others.

I hope that the memories inspire you to do something great in your lifetimes. It is from good dreams that great realities arise.

Keep the interest and discussion alive. :)

Frank

When my family was vacationing in New Mexico, we went to a town called Magallion (pronouned locally as Muggy-own). My father was talking to your father there. He saw the Jane Long Jr. High School sticker on our station wagon and let us know that his father was Frank Sharp that built Sharpstown. Small world.

I am interested in doing a photo essay type thing on the history of Sharpstown, and I would love if people could pass along pics of the area from 1955 to 1985. I'm especially interested in pictures of street scenes (both residential and commercial). Also, any literature you may have (brochures) would be awesome. Thanks for the help!

Hope it's not too late here are some more:

The next two pictures are the construction of Sharpstown Mall. The far right of the building structure would be the entry point to Wyatt's Cafeteria during the 1989's. Montgomery Wards would be built to the left of this building structure. I can't remember what the left portion of the building structure was right now. It might have been Wilson's.

24qk010.jpg

24qk26g.jpg

I am interested in doing a photo essay type thing on the history of Sharpstown, and I would love if people could pass along pics of the area from 1955 to 1985. I'm especially interested in pictures of street scenes (both residential and commercial). Also, any literature you may have (brochures) would be awesome. Thanks for the help!

This is the Southwest Freeway at Hillcroft in 1980. Notice Longhorn Ford/Mercury on your the right and Richardson Chevrolet on the left. I bought my first vehicle (1st bought, not given) there at Richardson Chevrolet. Nice crusin' van. Count the lanes on the freeway!

24qk9cg.jpg

Below is the Southwest Freeway at Westpark during the 1970's. My aunt and uncle used to live in the apartments V-shaped at the curve of the freeway. If you look closely at the bottom of the V-shape and move your eyes upward, you will find the flea market. It looks like the Malibu Race track is in early operation to the right of HWY 59 towards the top of the picture.

24qkfbm.jpg

I don't remember the Sharpstown Drive-In and I used to live just a few blocks from there! Have to drive by there sometime soon and see if it jogs my memory.

I don't personally remember this playground at the drive-in, but I found this in Google Images. It may be because Mom & Dad always brought us at night and we were pretty young. I remember my Dad getting fresh with my Mom there, lol.

24qlhzt.jpg

These photos are interesting. I wasn't aware that Bob Hope was the person to break ground for the upcoming Sharpstown subdivision. Check out the buildings in the background. Enjoy!

25i3o5x.jpg

Bob Hope breaking ground for construction of new subdivsion Sharpstown.

25i3oti.jpg

Not sure who the other people are. Could be Louis Welch there. Let me know if you know different.

25i3pew.jpg

Look at that camera!

25i3qz5.jpg

Bob Hope after groundbreaking of Sharpstown.

25i3rix.jpg

Bob Hope....recognize that building?

25i3s0g.jpg

Bob Hope and Frank Sharp? Let me know if you know....

25i3sjk.jpg

Bob Hope and the golf club that broke ground for Sharpstown!

I see the "Conquistador." We used to just look at it when we drove by because it was sooooo big!

What about the twin towers? Did ya forget? On the bottom right is a Sinclair station that used to have dinosaur cut-outs on the property. I loved those things. I see the mall in the middle. Monkey Wards being the dark building on the left.

On the bottom right is a Sinclair station that used to have dinosaur cut-outs on the property. I loved those things.

Thanks, I forgot about the twin towers! Here's some pics you might enjoy, including your dinosaurs!

25i6r1s.jpg

If you look closely, you'll see the overpass at Bellaire and HWY 59 being built.

25i6tdx.jpg

Here are a couple in color to give you a better perspective.

25i6ulu.jpg

25i6uzd.jpg

Am I the only one to notice the Gorilla in the cage and the Witch stealing motor oil? :huh:

25in0o3.jpg

Good question! Your guess is as good as mine. These pics are simply historical photographs and not personally taken.

I'm thinking that the season might be close to or on Halloween; however, the costumes may just be an attention getter for the opening.

25iokzc.jpg

the weather looks appropriate for October in Houston.

Check out the development of the overpass (Bellaire & SW Freeway).

And, did you see Sharpstown Mall in the background?

These photos are interesting. I wasn't aware that Bob Hope was the person to break ground for the upcoming Sharpstown subdivision. Check out the buildings in the background. Enjoy!

Interesting, I did not know that. Where did u dig up those photos?

I recently found out that Jack Nicklaus once (more than once?) played Sharpstown Country Club in 1965 I think. Cool, huh?

Nice find on the photos. The event takes place on site of the Houston Music Theater (I can't remember what is called now). So was this possibly a groundbreaking for the theater? That would be a good event for a celebrity like Bob Hope. If it was for the next section of subdivision, it would have to be the section just west of Fondren. I'm thinking work was already underway on that section when the Conquistador was complete, but I would need to check on that.

Enviro, can you make that first picture larger like, 500x500 or so. I swear I think that is my grandmother standing there in white, first woman on the left. She would have been there for something like that. She was friends wityh Mr. Hope, as she was I believe, President of the Houston Garden Club back then.

Interesting, I did not know that. Where did u dig up those photos?

I recently found out that Jack Nicklaus once (more than once?) played Sharpstown Country Club in 1965 I think. Cool, huh?

I found them at http://users.ev1.net/~plhailey/hpat/browse...eb/index11.html. Scroll down to the bottom and there are more on the following page. Thanks for asking. Hey, aren't you supposed to be working?

Enviro, can you make that first picture larger like, 500x500 or so. I swear I think that is my grandmother standing there in white, first woman on the left. She would have been there for something like that. She was friends wityh Mr. Hope, as she was I believe, President of the Houston Garden Club back then.

TJones,

I don't know if this will be easier to view or not. You may want to find it on the website I listed for ROYM.

25jf9lf.jpg

If I zoom in further, it will decrease the resolution even more.

roym,

Between 1963 and 1965, my first husband and I attended an incredible golf tournement at Sharpstown. Incredible? You be the judge. Some of the players were:

Jack Nicklaus

Arnie Palmer

Chi Chi Rodriguez

We went because it was highly touted as the greatest number of the greatest golfers of the time to ever play in Houston in one venue. It was very laid back, players joking around with the gallery. We were just a few feet from Nicklaus when he found his ball in a deep sand trap. It took him 3 tries to get out. He never got intense over it, just kept making jokes and performing for the crowd each time he missed.

Perhaps the PGA has some record, it was a major tournement, not just exhibition.

roym,

Between 1963 and 1965, my first husband and I attended an incredible golf tournement at Sharpstown. Incredible? You be the judge. Some of the players were:

Jack Nicklaus

Arnie Palmer

Chi Chi Rodriguez

We went because it was highly touted as the greatest number of the greatest golfers of the time to ever play in Houston in one venue. It was very laid back, players joking around with the gallery. We were just a few feet from Nicklaus when he found his ball in a deep sand trap. It took him 3 tries to get out. He never got intense over it, just kept making jokes and performing for the crowd each time he missed.

Perhaps the PGA has some record, it was a major tournement, not just exhibition.

Good memory!

Houston Open history...

"The Shell Houston Open is a regular golf tournament on the PGA Tour. It is currently played in March in Humble, Texas at Redstone Golf Club. Shell and the Houston Golf Association are the main sponsors of the tournament. The 2006 purse was $5,500,000, with $990,000 going to the winner.

The event was played at several Houston venues until the 1970s, starting at River Oaks Country Club in 1946 before moving to Memorial Park Golf Course in 1947 and, after a year off, moving again to Pine Forest Country Club in 1949 and BraeBurn Country Club in 1950. After this period of wandering about, the event settled in at Memorial Park from 1951-1963. In 1964 and again in 1965, the event was played at Sharpstown Country Club, before moving to Champions Golf Club from 1966-71 and Westwood Country Club in 1972.

In 1973 the event ventured outside of Houston, being played at Quail Valley Country Club in Missouri City, Texas. In 1975, the event relocated to The Woodlands, Texas, first at Woodlands Country Club until 1984, and subsequently at the TPC at The Woodlands until 2002. In 2003, the event moved to its current location at Redstone Golf Club."

Chi Chi Rodriguez

Wasn't that the drag queen from To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything Julie Newmar? :lol:

Btw, if you read the article, it was only $12,000 to by a home back then, amazing how much inflation changed everything.

dig, dig, scratch,

Well! I did not find the full roster for my golf tournament, but did ferret out the winners for the two years at Sharpstown. Further at that time, it was named the Houston Classic (1959-1966).

Ta-da:

1964 Winner - Mike Souchak Runner Up - Jack Nicklaus

1965 Winner - Bobby Nichols Runners Up - Bruce Devlin and Chi Chi Rodriguez

I am still unsure which year I was there, but it was a great time, except Sharpstown was so new and barren with no trees to speak of, it was really hot with blinding sun beating upon us the whole time.

Archived