Request For Proposal By The City Of Houston At 800 N. Velasco St.

Urbannizer

23 hours ago, Two said:

It won the C40 prize for the use and design on that strip. Who knows how serious their partners are but some are definitely wealthy enough to build that project without cost engineering it to a warehouse on a lead ridden mole hill.

Say, if the 'partnership' with UT (second largest endowment in the nation at 31.9Bn) is real that alone dwarfs the Rice endowment that's building the Ion. And this is a project whose focus would directly compliment the Ions.

Also many large oil companies, like Shell, are under heavy stake holder pressure to divest from Oil, extraction, supply, and refinement capital and move into renewable chain tied ventures. So it's possible they find enough forward thinking institutions to pull it together. But who knows, the website is awfully quite about timelines or finance, just vague 'partnerships' and plenty about their vision etc.

considering how much money UT makes from oil, it would be not terribly synergistic for them to help move away from oil.

http://www.universitylands.utsystem.edu/

I wonder if they are planning for that future and where their money will come from?

• Like 4

Is Pinto East End part of University of Texas?  When I was in high school in Junction, Tx during the summer I worked on an oil rig around Ozona, Tx and a lot of that land was Pinto owned land which I know much of the UT Permanent fund owns.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/East-End-is-roiled-as-mixed-income-housing-plans-14999925.php

e0ORFaK.png

7SzUAAx.png

HiWVJss.png

39 minutes ago, hindesky said:

Is Pinto East End part of University of Texas?  When I was in high school in Junction, Tx during the summer I worked on an oil rig around Ozona, Tx and a lot of that land was Pinto owned land which I know much of the UT Permanent fund owns.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/East-End-is-roiled-as-mixed-income-housing-plans-14999925.php

e0ORFaK.png

7SzUAAx.png

HiWVJss.png

That graphic reminds me of one I saw when I was working downtown for Shell.  Except that it was about 100 times more complicated and filled all of one wall of a big conference room.

Glad I'm in IT and not a landman.

Edited by august948
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, hindesky said:

e0ORFaK.png

7SzUAAx.png

HiWVJss.png

Pinto is not part of UT but it is owned by Ernest Cockrell, who is on the advisory board for UT Energy Institute.

https://energy.utexas.edu/about/advisory-board/ernest-cockrell

The article you linked is for 800 Middle St., which the Houston Housing Authority purchased form Pinto East End (Crockwell) in 2020 for around 15M.  They had/have a deal in place with NRP Group to build what is called EADO 800.  It looks like it will move forward.  See bottom of page 4 (Item #15):

https://houstontx.gov/citysec/agenda/2021/Apr0621.pdf

Pinto East End (Crockwell) also owns the majority of the land West of Jenson Dr. up to the railroad tracks and Buffalo Bayou (south of 59).  The majority of the land is in the works to be purchased by Houston Housing Authority for a development called Standard Jensen Phase I and II.  

https://houstontx.gov/housing/publiclegal/notices/2020/12/STANDARD_JENSEN_Contract-120820.pdf

• Like 8

• 11 months later...

https://www.c40reinventingcities.org/en/professionals/sites-in-competition/velasco-incinerator-1624.html

https://www.c40reinventingcities.org/data/sites_134e6/fiche/390/site_requirements_-_velasco_incinerator_houston_-_reinventing_cities.docx_65e7c.pdf

It is adjacent to North Velasco Street and lies just north of a major east-west thoroughfare, Navigation Boulevard. It is only a mile east of Houston’s downtown core and the Central Business District. A key future development in close proximity to the site is the Buffalo Bayou East Masterplan, a waterfront revitalization plan comprised of multimodal connections, small-scale parks and open spaces that will tie the larger destinations together to create a cohesive network of green spaces and attractions that will reinvigorate Buffalo Bayou East. The site has the potential to be aligned and well-integrated with the Buffalo Bayou Partnership’s Buffalo Bayou East Masterplan as an integral part in creating a safe, sustainable, and resilient waterfront. 

The City sees this competition as an excellent opportunity for private actors to help the city develop climate action innovation, specifically in the field of storm and flood resilient infrastructure and buildings. Teams should explore solutions within the new energy economy area such as the provision of lab spaces and energy transition workforce development centers.

Houston is a city that is on a growth path. There has been a trend of densification inside the IH 610 loop. There are no specific zoning requirements in relation to the development of this site. However, constraints due to the former use of the site as an incinerator/landfill, contamination and possible pollution risks will need to be carefully examined. 

The City of Houston believes the site to be an optimal location for context sensitive design and development that could help improve local environmental quality, provide mixed use development options including housing, retail and co-working spaces, neighborhood amenities such as parks, open spaces, bike and pedestrian infrastructure to improve access and connectivity to highlight the city’s sustainability efforts within a highly visible location.

ac038886224746e99f347e35677065ba_image.j

• Like 4

• The title was changed to 800 N Velasco St. Request for Proposal by the COH

This site is developer nightmare fuel: major flooding risk (yup), contaminated site (yup), bad neighbors (a lead battery place YUP)....

On a positive note, there is a very nice development going in right across the Bayou so maybe someone will throw a few dollars at it.

2 hours ago, wilcal said:

It's actually entirely out of the flood plain. East End in general and along the bayou has a very small amount of land inside.

Can confirm. The bike trail got Harvey'd, but the land there didn't flood. Didn't make it that far up.

Lead Products owns the "mound". That site is a TCEQ VCP site (Voluntary Cleanup Program). This is the most recent update. Looks like the had lead contamination in the groundwater (shocking) but TCEQ no longer requires GW sampling. However, there is still soil contamination (shocking).

9289238  PROJECT PHASE  REMEDIATION  05/07/2001  
1008459  APPLICABLE PROGRAM RULES  RRR  09/05/1996  
1010658  CURRENT FACILITY TYPE  RECYCLING  09/05/1996  
1000230  SITE SIZE  6.15 ACRES  09/05/1996  
9292207  SOILS CHEMICAL OF CONCERN CLASSIFICATION  METALS  09/05/1996  
9305221  SOIL INDIVIDUAL CHEMICALS REQUIRING REMEDY  LEAD  09/05/1996  
9292208  GW BEARING UNIT  DEFAULT GW BEARING UNIT 1  09/05/1996  
9305222  GW INDIVIDUAL CHEMICALS REQUIRING REMEDY  LEAD  09/05/1996  
22284087  GW REPORT DATA YEAR  2021  12/14/2017  
22241303  GW CONTAM CONFIRMATION DATE  09/09/1996  11/28/2017  
22284088  SITE SUBJECT TO GW MONITORING  YES  12/14/2017  
22241306  GW REPORT DATA QUALITY  11/28/2017  
22241305  GW REPORT HORIZONTAL ACTIVITY STATUS  11/28/2017  
22241304  GW REPORT VERTICAL ENFORCEMENT STATUS  0B  11/28/2017  
22414332  NOTICE PERFORMED UNDER TWC 26.408  NO  01/30/2018  
22414333  NOTICE PERFORMED UNDER TWC 5.236  NO  01/30/2018  
23935488  ANNUAL GW REPORT ADDN INFO  SITE IS ADDRESSING A REMAINING SOIL CONCERN. TCEQ HAS ALLOWED GROUNDWATER MONITORING TO BE DISCONTINUED.  01/25/2019
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• The title was changed to Request For Proposal By The City Of Houston At 800 N. Velasco St.
  • 1 year later...

Some interesting info on the website. Hopefully some HAIFers will be able to attend the meeting on the 26th. This is going to be a massive undertaking to clean up. Around 35' of toxic waste 😵‍💫 Looks like the plan is for the land bank to submit a grant proposal to the EPA in November and if approved it will take $5-7 million over 4+ years to complete the clean up.

bb29eb_d9265d60e097479e99fffcc0ae237ca6~mv2.webp

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...