38-Story High-Rise & Office Building At 2811 Kirby Dr.

Highrise Tower

On 8/2/2023 at 10:20 PM, aachor said:

I don't know why you all aren't excited over any high-rise development that doesn't completely look like ass (e.g., Mercer Condominiums). It's an increase in density without being another doughnut. And, to be fair, even a mid-rise doughnut or a good looking podium construction are a huge improvements over the low-rise apartments with surface parking that were a construction staple in this city in previous decades. I think any increase in density which diminishes the plague of surface parking is a step in the right direction.

Regardless of whether it's 30 or 40 floors, this and the development at 2311 Westheimer are both excellent developments for this neighborhood. 

I think virtually any high-rise in Houston is ultimately a net good, for exactly the reasons you mention.

But I personally can't think of a single one that I am or ever was (post-renderings) excited about. For me it all comes down to streetscape. I want my city to feel like a city. Once upon a time, I thought that that meant tall buildings, but I've come to realize that not only are highrises not necessary for an inviting urban environment, but often - especially in Houston - they are kind of formally antithetical to that goal, whether due to setbacks, parking podia, or just large blank walls fronting streets. 

I don't think those are intrinsic features of highrises, and density good et al, but I do think that there is an element of remove that is inherent to the form and intrinsic to the appeal of highrise living. Obviously I think that's a lot better than a gated enclave of suburban mansions, but it still runs counter to the ethos of incidental community and public realm that (to me) is characteristic of great urban environments.

Again, not intended as a critique of this project or as any kind of active opposition to highrises. But personally, I'd choose Fort Greene over Downtown Brooklyn, Boston's South End over its Seaport, Roma/La Condesa over Paseo de la Reforma in CDMX, etc.

(Granted, I none of those places will ever be in my price range, so it really doesn't matter...)

That's probably a lot more explanation than is really needed in defense of indifference, but there it is.

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/5/2023 at 8:21 AM, 004n063 said:

I think virtually any high-rise in Houston is ultimately a net good, for exactly the reasons you mention.

But I personally can't think of a single one that I am or ever was (post-renderings) excited about...

there is an element of remove that is inherent to the form and intrinsic to the appeal of highrise living. Obviously I think that's a lot better than a gated enclave of suburban mansions, but it still runs counter to the ethos of incidental community and public realm that (to me) is characteristic of great urban environments.

Again, not intended as a critique of this project or as any kind of active opposition to highrises. But personally, I'd choose Fort Greene over Downtown Brooklyn, Boston's South End over its Seaport, Roma/La Condesa over Paseo de la Reforma in CDMX, etc

yes, I agree.  I don't know how to refer to or relate to a place I live if I only have a hotel-room's-eye presence and not a garden or porch

• Like 1

• The title was changed to 36-Story Mixed-Use Tower At 2801 Kirby Dr.
  • The title was changed to 36-Story Mixed-Use Tower At 2811 Kirby Dr.
4 hours ago, pablog said:

Just confirming this is Houston 😂

The presentation says Austin, TX. 

Not sure why- but it’s Houston. Maybe to throw off one who discovers the flip book? Or just mistaken for another project he may be working on? 2811 Kirby is the name of this development and there’s no Kirby street in Austin.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

Not sure why- but it’s Houston. Maybe to throw off one who discovers the flip book? Or just mistaken for another project he may be working on? 2811 Kirby is the name of this development and there’s no Kirby street in Austin.

Probably just put Austin in his portfolio thinking that’s a more recognizable city internationally. Even though Houston has probably 3x the number of highrises. 

Uneducated guess, it’ll be a year before this breaks ground, if they get the construction financing.

10 hours ago, jhjones74 said:

Probably just put Austin in his portfolio thinking that’s a more recognizable city internationally. Even though Houston has probably 3x the number of highrises. 

Uneducated guess, it’ll be a year before this breaks ground, if they get the construction financing.

SLC’s press release referenced groundbreaking in “Spring 2024.” My thought was “May 2024 at the earliest.”

https://southernland.com/luxury-high-rise-development-planned-for-northeast-corner-of-kirby-drive-and-kipling-street-in-houstons-upper-kirby-district/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • The title was changed to 38-Story High-Rise & Office Building At 2811 Kirby Dr.
10 hours ago, freundb said:

Too bad this won’t be built here…

IMG_0003.jpeg

....has to be a typo, right?

It is interesting how Austin has zoomed past Houston & Dallas in the minds of those outside of Texas.

Architects pull their best projects out of the drawer for different cities.

A 50 story building on Miami Beach , or Austin now, is going to get a better design than a project in 2nd tier cities like Houston or Dallas.

Designers have a hierarchy for which "ideas/design concepts" they want to use where. Obviously, they want their best designs built in high profile cities.

Edited by shasta
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/14/2023 at 8:48 AM, shasta said:

It is interesting how Austin has zoomed past Houston & Dallas in the minds of those outside of Texas.

Architects pull their best projects out of the drawer for different cities.

A 50 story building on Miami Beach , or Austin now, is going to get a better design than a project in 2nd tier cities like Houston or Dallas.

Designers have a hierarchy for which "ideas/design concepts" they want to use where. Obviously, they want their best designs built in high profile cities.

Maybe I'm just too "orange-pilled" from all those NJB videos. Or maybe I'm missing something. I don't know. But I just feel that these "hierarchies" are just oft-repeated imaginary fixations that force contrived (and ultimately stagnating) narratives. A self-fufilling prophecy, of sorts. Because even if such perceptions exist of Houston compared to other cities, I just ... don't see what that would have to do regarding the goals that these developments are trying to achieve.

Is the clientele in Houston somehow different than in Austin or Miami?

• If the Houstonian (whether born/raised, domestic transplant, or immigrant) attitudes are actually indeed similar to sentiments expressed in this thread, then that would suggest that there is demand for a nice building even in "lowly Houston" — in that case, the developers can/should just build with their most cutting-edge design, regardless of Houston's "profile."

• On the other hand, if the clientele is indeed different, then the building would simply be a reflection of the different ideals, tastes, etc ... which also wouldn't depend on "profile."

It's often stated that "organic, fine-grained" development is key to building a nicer, more walkable city. Assigning cities into "profiles" and then trying to force a "finished product" out of that doesn't seem to fit that to me. Of course, parking minimums, setbacks, etc might play a role in what dissuades developers from certain designs — eliminating/loosening them would be key, especially as it could also make room for smaller, local businesses (i.e. including new developers) to impart their own developments (i.e. and allow creativity to flourish in case that "national perception" truly is a barrier).

Edited by __nevii
  • Like 1