Retail Center At 1111-1201 Westheimer Rd.

VelvetJ

i'm out of town at the moment so i haven't actually seen if improvements are still going on--- but have a bit of info about ruggles --------the manager says YES it will reopen-- i had posted this earlier that the restaurant donated food (terrific food too) to the fundraiser Avondale took part in Oct 22--to benefit Houston Buyers Club---and la strada also donated great food--plus no mention of closing--i'm surprised that they are closing-- it's SRO at brunch time Saturdays---

now for a question----------again i want to sound hopeful----

do companies that do the "movie taverns" in suburban mall theaters ever consider urban theaters like the old tower theater??

They damned well should, but the trouble with Tower Theater or the old Shepherd Bookstop theater is that is that its not nearly big enough for say a Movie Tavern or Alamo Drafthouse, with room for 1 screen at most. I agree though, Alamo Drafthouse come inside the Loop, Houston is not like Austin, your type of theater needs Inner Loopers.

Edited by kylejack

The Hollywood Video in Montrose is now closed. The beautiful Marquee facing Westheimer is stripped and the last great video store in Houston is gone.

Late last week there was a small crane, and workers were removing metal panels that make up the 'tower' itself. Some of the stainless steel trim and the black decorations (terra-cotta?) that used to adorn the facade have also been removed. Since someone's taking the time to disassemble the decorative aspects of the building, can we assume that it's going to be reused in some other place?

What's up with the Ruggles? It seems like its constantly under construction, opening soon, hiring waitstaff, etc.

My understanding is that they suffered Ike damage, and were also doing a remodel. There was a news report a few weeks ago that Ruggles was nearly ready to reopen when they had a small fire.

• Like 1

They damned well should, but the trouble with Tower Theater or the old Shepherd Bookstop theater is that is that its not nearly big enough for say a Movie Tavern or Alamo Drafthouse, with room for 1 screen at most. I agree though, Alamo Drafthouse come inside the Loop, Houston is not like Austin, your type of theater needs Inner Loopers.

I'd like to point out the original Alamo Drafthouse in downtown Austin has only one (very, very small) screen. That business model worked wonders for them. Amazingly, if you can get people drunk while giving them something to look at, the screen's size or number really doesn't matter.

• Like 1

I'd like to point out the original Alamo Drafthouse in downtown Austin has only one (very, very small) screen. That business model worked wonders for them. Amazingly, if you can get people drunk while giving them something to look at, the screen's size or number really doesn't matter.

not to mention finding a movie ticket for under $10 is really hard these days, even if it is only $3 less than a 'normal' theater, it is cheaper, and you get to buy beer.

I'll pay for that experience every day.

• 4 weeks later...

I'd like to point out the original Alamo Drafthouse in downtown Austin has only one (very, very small) screen.

Had

The original on Colorado shut down back in 2007, IIRC. Its replacement has 2 screens.

I see your point but I doubt that someone looking to start up such a business would consider a single screen to be worthwhile. I'd love to be proven wrong though.

The Alamo's claim to fame IMO wasn't just serving beer. They also had good food that wasn't ridiculously priced, unusual films/videos and unusual events.

Edited by takeshi

If that were the case then why has the Alamo at West Oaks Mall, more than 10 miles OUTSIDE the loop, done so well for so long?

Edited by august948

• 4 months later...

I was, thank goodness, mistaken.

The Houston Press has an article about the progress being made on the Tower Theater's renovation, along with a picture of the restored marquee. From the article:

"Sadly, no tenant is planned for the space. The [real estate company]representative merely stated that they were hoping the renovated marquee and exterior would attract a client..."

Keep your fingers crossed and your thinking caps on. Surely there's a business that's just right for this space.

I was, thank goodness, mistaken.

The Houston Press has an article about the progress being made on the Tower Theater's renovation, along with a picture of the restored marquee. From the article:

"Sadly, no tenant is planned for the space. The [real estate company]representative merely stated that they were hoping the renovated marquee and exterior would attract a client..."

Keep your fingers crossed and your thinking caps on. Surely there's a business that's just right for this space.

Nice to see the owners are thinking like that. If it were Weingarten they would probably just tear it down.

• 1 month later...

Robb Walsh is a food critic at the Press.

Correction: Walsh was a food critic at the Press; he 'retired' a couple of months ago to live off his earnings as an author. Still, it's a pretty good bet the Press will give it a good review.

He's partnering with Bryan Caswell and Bill Floyd of Reef, Little Bigs and Stella Sola.

Should be interesting at least. Walsh has been one of the most fervent defenders of Tex-Mex as a distinct and worthy regional American cuisine, not just a bastard child of Mexican, against most of the food criticism world. I don't eat much Tex-Mex myself but I'll give it a try.

That is a huge space for a restaurant and parking is going to be a hassle.

• 5 months later...

Swamplot has an article on this:

http://swamplot.com/lard-almighty-tower-theatres-coming-attraction-is-grease-ii/2010-11-15/#more-23064

His twist seems to be "authenticity". He plans on using freshly renedered pork fat from the pork farms that, I think, are moving into the old McCains space. One of the comments says the pork fat is as healthy as olive oil. Don't know about that but I bet it's tasty.

Edited by west20th

Swamplot has an article on this:

http://swamplot.com/...-15/#more-23064

His twist seems to be "authenticity". He plans on using freshly renedered pork fat from the pork farms that, I think, are moving into the old McCains space. One of the comments says the pork fat is as healthy as olive oil. Don't know about that but I bet it's tasty.

Healthy, authentic Tex Mex? I don't think those go together.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...