Broadstone EaDo: Multifamily At 2424 Bell St.

hindesky

38 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

.  Another example of how parking minimums are not the evil they are made out to be here on HAIF.  I hope someone will point out the first significant development that provides less parking than they would have been required to provide under the previous regulations.  Downtown has not had minimum parking requirements for many years, and yet, every hotel, apartment building, condo, and office building has provided parking; in all cases I'm aware, every bit as generously as the regulations would have required.

That's why it's called "market based parking." If the market determines it makes sense to have it, that's at the discretion of the developer. Making it a mandate is the issue. 

• Like 6

6 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

That's why it's called "market based parking." If the market determines it makes sense to have it, that's at the discretion of the developer. Making it a mandate is the issue. 

I think a more precise argument would be that removing parking requirements will not automatically - and certainly not quickly - reduce the present demand for parking, so parking will continue to be built, which will do a pretty good job of preserving that demand, ergo the amount of parking.

But the mandate skips the market middleman and preserves the parking excess all on its own.

2 hours ago, 004n063 said:

I think a more precise argument would be that removing parking requirements will not automatically - and certainly not quickly - reduce the present demand for parking, so parking will continue to be built, which will do a pretty good job of preserving that demand, ergo the amount of parking.

But the mandate skips the market middleman and preserves the parking excess all on its own.

For Houston, yes we'll probably have a ton of parking garages built before the city starts to lose some car dependency. But we're seeing some benefit to not having minimums with some projects where developers would have been required to create an excessive amount of parking but instead built only what they felt was necessary for their project. EaDough is a great example along with the Union East development. 

On 1/26/2024 at 12:57 PM, Houston19514 said:

Another example of how parking minimums are not the evil they are made out to be here on HAIF.  I hope someone will point out the first significant development that provides less parking than they would have been required to provide under the previous regulations.  Downtown has not had minimum parking requirements for many years, and yet, every hotel, apartment building, condo, and office building has provided parking; in all cases I'm aware, every bit as generously as the regulations would have required.

Actually, in a way, what you wrote would simply be more evidence that the minimums are useless (and, hence, should be removed). As your examples show, developers clearly can still include parking with their constructs even in the absence of minimums.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...