I-45 Rebuild (North Houston Highway Improvement Project)

I've said this many moons ago and it wasn't well received, but the one thing that concerns me is that we may be going overboard with parks here after years of not having much.  It is going to cost a lot to maintain Disco Green, the new cap park, Trebly Park, Market Square Park, Lynn Wyatt Square, Buffalo Bayou Park, not to mention the proposed greenbelt and now the Pierce Elevated Park.  If they're not all regularly teeming with people, I just fear they will become overrun with homeless or become neglected and turn into something more like Tranquility Park or Midtown Park.  Not to mention, who in the heck wants to go walking around the Pierce Elevated for 6 months a year without any tree cover.  (There's the same problem with the Post Skylawn.)

• Confused 4

1 hour ago, mattyt36 said:

I've said this many moons ago and it wasn't well received, but the one thing that concerns me is that we may be going overboard with parks here after years of not having much.  It is going to cost a lot to maintain Disco Green, the new cap park, Trebly Park, Market Square Park, Lynn Wyatt Square, Buffalo Bayou Park, not to mention the proposed greenbelt and now the Pierce Elevated Park.  If they're not all regularly teeming with people, I just fear they will become overrun with homeless or become neglected and turn into something more like Tranquility Park or Midtown Park.  Not to mention, who in the heck wants to go walking around the Pierce Elevated for 6 months a year without any tree cover.  (There's the same problem with the Post Skylawn.)

If you build it they will come look at Post Houston 😏

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kennyc05 said:

If you build it they will come look at Post Houston 😏

But the "they" is finite, and if "they" decide to start going to one of the shiny new parks, you risk the existing infrastructure becoming "forgotten."

In general this is a frustration I have always had about Houston--very little coordinated development and they all compete against each other, I guess as a side effect of zoning.  You get a development like Post in one place, then East River a couple miles away, then the Autry Park and Regent Square stuff a couple miles away in the opposite direction.  We go from nothing to four or five similar developments in a relatively short period of time.  Downtown residential spread over Market Square, around Minute Maid, and on the south end.  It just seems it would've been more impactful if the development were centralized and radiated out. 

But I suppose I shouldn't complain.  And I hope I'm wrong.

50 minutes ago, IWantTransit555 said:

Tell me more!

Guess it's called the "Green Loop"--see https://www.centralhouston.org/filer/0/1615334642/470/, page 13 of the PDF.  I haven't seen that it is anything other than a conceptual plan, but, then again, so is the Pierce Skypark.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, mattyt36 said:

But the "they" is finite, and if "they" decide to start going to one of the shiny new parks, you risk the existing infrastructure becoming "forgotten."

In general this is a frustration I have always had about Houston--very little coordinated development and they all compete against each other, I guess as a side effect of zoning.  You get a development like Post in one place, then East River a couple miles away, then the Autry Park and Regent Square stuff a couple miles away in the opposite direction.  We go from nothing to four or five similar developments in a relatively short period of time.  Downtown residential spread over Market Square, around Minute Maid, and on the south end.  It just seems it would've been more impactful if the development were centralized and radiated out. 

But I suppose I shouldn't complain.  And I hope I'm wrong.

Guess it's called the "Green Loop"--see https://www.centralhouston.org/filer/0/1615334642/470/, page 13 of the PDF.  I haven't seen that it is anything other than a conceptual plan, but, then again, so is the Pierce Skypark.

I hear what you're saying but there's tons of people moving inside of the loop so I'm pretty sure they'll be demand for all of these parks and new developments to be utilized.

2 hours ago, 004n063 said:

I'm not super attached to the skypark idea, but...huh? Have you been to Midtown Park? It's definitely not neglected...

I have admittedly not been there for a while, other than driving by--it seemed very lightly used.  But maybe it is a roll of the die.

Bagby Park has turned around thanks to La Calle--could you be thinking of that?  Hopefully the LaCalle rebuild only takes two months as advertised.

5 hours ago, mattyt36 said:

I have admittedly not been there for a while, other than driving by--it seemed very lightly used.  But maybe it is a roll of the die.

Bagby Park has turned around thanks to La Calle--could you be thinking of that?  Hopefully the LaCalle rebuild only takes two months as advertised.

No, I live near Midtown Park. There are events there pretty much every weekend, and there are zumba classes and such pretty much every evening. Plus people doing hill sprints, playing on the playground, using the dog park, or just hanging out whenever the weather is nice. It's not Discovery Green level of bustle, but as far as neighborhood parks go, it's pretty well-used. More so than Bagby Park, I'd say.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, hindesky said:

From the article:

"Baumgardner and SWA Houston are the designers behind Buffalo Bayou Park and GRB Plaza. They were tasked with figuring out options for Pierce Elevated."

My question: Tasked by whom?  As that makes a difference in how "serious" it is.

41 minutes ago, 004n063 said:

No, I live near Midtown Park. There are events there pretty much every weekend, and there are zumba classes and such pretty much every evening. Plus people doing hill sprints, playing on the playground, using the dog park, or just hanging out whenever the weather is nice. It's not Discovery Green level of bustle, but as far as neighborhood parks go, it's pretty well-used. More so than Bagby Park, I'd say.

Good to hear.

(Doesn't seem like an ideal place for hill sprints 🤣)

18 minutes ago, mattyt36 said:

From the article:

"Baumgardner and SWA Houston are the designers behind Buffalo Bayou Park and GRB Plaza. They were tasked with figuring out options for Pierce Elevated."

My question: Tasked by whom?  As that makes a difference in how "serious" it is.

Good to hear.

(Doesn't seem like an ideal place for hill sprints 🤣)

And what is "GRB Plaza"??  Are they referring to Avenida Houston?  Journalists...  <SMH>  I have never before heard it referred to as GRB Plaza, and that is definitely NOT its name.  

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, TacoDog said:

HDMS802_Overall-Plan.jpg

SWA Green Belt plan

It's a bit more intricate than that if you look at pages 13-16 of the PDF (document pages 20-26):

https://www.centralhouston.org/filer/0/1615334642/470/ 

The plan suggested pretty major roadway modifications in Downtown, Midtown, and EaDO, probably akin to the recent Bagby Street redux:

Create a trail with a generous pedestrian path, an amenity zone, and a two-way bikeway. Paving, materials, and patterns should be high-quality and consistent to brand the trail.

In fact, Pierce was one of the key streets identified.

But thanks for posting this as it is just now clicking with me that the cap park isn't flush with the GRB (probably due to the interchanges), but rather it will be from the center of the GRB to 3 blocks north of MMP, which is much bigger than what I expected.  Should make the lots north of MMP more valuable and a logical place for additional residential development.  

Edited by mattyt36
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/15/2023 at 9:36 AM, BEES?! said:

It sounds like they’re pretty serious (the Houston stakeholders I mean) about pursuing the Pierce Skypark, just going off the documents from downtown houston. 

If they really do it, it’d be quite a bit wider than the High Line in NYC, wouldn’t it? There’d be some pretty awesome stuff they could do with the structure, lots of potential really neat uses and those views would be outstanding. 

God, I hope not. That thing was terrible to walk under. Hopefully they at least tear down half of it to free up the street frontage on pierce.

Edited by HouTXRanger
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, bookey23 said:

Based on the current map available on the TXDOT website, they will be leaving up the portion of the Pierce Elevated from Brazos to Chenevert. So, as currently planned, they will not really be removing the barrier between Downtown and Midtown.

Um that's not a portion, that's the entire thing! 

17 hours ago, mattyt36 said:

Below is a link to the Midtown Parks and Public Space Master Plan that I believe came out last week, which does not refer to the SkyPark as anything more than an option.

https://midtownhouston.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/02/Midtown-Parks-and-Public-Space_DRAFT_230216.pdf

Thanks for sharing, this was an interesting read! If they actually implement this plan over the next decade, Midtown's streets will be unrecognizable!

• Like 2

No-go on Pierce Elevated

That said, Lionheart Places’ draft master plan might be viewed by some as pouring cold water on long-simmering proposals to convert the Pierce Elevated portion of I-45 near Pierce Street into something that benefits the local community. The roadway is expected to be abandoned if the Texas Department of Transportation's I-45 North Houston Highway Improvement Project comes to fruition.

But some have argued the roadway could be converted into a sky park similar to the High Line in New York City.

Those ideas received renewed attention in recent weeks after a much-maligned McDonald’s on South Main Street was torn down and the adjacent Greyhound bus station went up for sale.

But during the Feb. 22 meeting, Marlon Marshall, director of engineering and construction for MRA, said there are no immediate plans to make any significant changes to Pierce Elevated.

“Like everyone, we are very excited about the opportunities for development created by the Greyhound station going up for sale,” Marshall said. “We have been working with our partners to discuss civic improvement potential under the NHHIP plan. But the purpose of this master plan is to focus on short-term improvements that could have an impact on the community.”

He added that any effort to turn Pierce Elevated into a park or even demolish it would require significant funding and planning by TxDOT, as well as state and local officials.

“The Pierce Elevated will remain in place for at least the next 10 years,” he said.

From the HBJ article on the Midtown plan: Midtown Redevelopment Authority unveils street, parks improvement plan draft - Houston Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

Edited by bookey23
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, bookey23 said:

No-go on Pierce Elevated

That said, Lionheart Places’ draft master plan might be viewed by some as pouring cold water on long-simmering proposals to convert the Pierce Elevated portion of I-45 near Pierce Street into something that benefits the local community. The roadway is expected to be abandoned if the Texas Department of Transportation's I-45 North Houston Highway Improvement Project comes to fruition.

But some have argued the roadway could be converted into a sky park similar to the High Line in New York City.

Those ideas received renewed attention in recent weeks after a much-maligned McDonald’s on South Main Street was torn down and the adjacent Greyhound bus station went up for sale.

But during the Feb. 22 meeting, Marlon Marshall, director of engineering and construction for MRA, said there are no immediate plans to make any significant changes to Pierce Elevated.

“Like everyone, we are very excited about the opportunities for development created by the Greyhound station going up for sale,” Marshall said. “We have been working with our partners to discuss civic improvement potential under the NHHIP plan. But the purpose of this master plan is to focus on short-term improvements that could have an impact on the community.”

He added that any effort to turn Pierce Elevated into a park or even demolish it would require significant funding and planning by TxDOT, as well as state and local officials.

“The Pierce Elevated will remain in place for at least the next 10 years,” he said.

From the HBJ article on the Midtown plan: Midtown Redevelopment Authority unveils street, parks improvement plan draft - Houston Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

Oh wonderful, the worst of both worlds.

42 minutes ago, bookey23 said:

Thanks for sharing, this was an interesting read! If they actually implement this plan over the next decade, Midtown's streets will be unrecognizable!

There was some pretty interesting stuff in there, like I did not know the Midtown TIRZ has this exclave around the Menil.  Also the street proposals are pretty game-changing if they proceed--Fannin, San Jacinto, and Crawford going two-way.  And McGowen getting the Bagby/Caroline treatment.  I guess that leaves only Smith, Louisiana, Milam, and Travis as the main "drive-through" streets.  I wish they weren't 4 blocks in a row, though.

• Like 6

On 2/23/2023 at 2:37 PM, bookey23 said:

Based on the current map available on the TXDOT website, they will be leaving up the portion of the Pierce Elevated from Brazos to Chenevert. So, as currently planned, they will not really be removing the barrier between Downtown and Midtown.

Can you provide a link to where you are seeing that?

There is actually a pretty good summary of the status of plans for the Pierce Elevated contained within the Midtown Master Plan referenced above:  "

"On the north edge, Pierce Elevated has been determined to be redundant, so it potentially could be removed or converted to an alternate use. Plan Downtown, which was developed by downtown partner organizations, proposes removal of the elevated roadway and creation of a greenway connecting to Buffalo Bayou. Other groups, such as Pierce Elevated Park and Pierce Sky Park, have proposed keeping the elevated structure and converting it to a signature linear park."

Edited by Houston19514

14 minutes ago, bookey23 said:

NHHIP (txdot.gov)

If you scroll down to the interactive map, the entirety of the Pierce Elevated is currently scheduled to remain standing. Obviously this is all very up in the air and no concrete plans have been made, but I'm just telling you the plan for now

I don't see anything on that map that shows a plan to keep the Pierce Elevated standing.  It merely indicates that the area where Pierce Elevated is located will be "Surplus Right of Way". It doesn't state a plan either remove or retain... so TBD. As you said, no concrete plans ;-)

• Like 1

More to the point, the FEIS clearly states TXDoT's plan is to remove the Pierce Elevated structure:

I don't see anything on that map that shows a plan to keep the Pierce Elevated standing.  It merely indicates that the area where Pierce Elevated is located will be "Surplus Right of Way".

In the FEIS, they say "Removal of Pierce Elevated would eliminate visual barrier between Downtown and Midtown and enhance connectivity between communities. Removal of the Pierce Elevated would improve mobility on local streets between Downtown and Midtown; proposed boulevard along Pierce Street would improve access to south Downtown streets from I-45."

On Page 3-119, the FEIS says "Under [the Preferred] Alternative, the Pierce Elevated segment of I-45 along a portion of the west and south side of Downtown would be removed and replaced with “Downtown Connectors.” The Pierce Elevated on the side south of
Downtown would be removed, eliminating the visual barrier between Downtown and communities on the west and south side, including the Midtown neighborhood."

On page 3-125 of the FEIS:  "the existing elevated I-45 roadway along the west and south sides of Downtown, also known as the “Pierce Elevated,” would be removed."

On Page 5-5, the FEIS says "Potential redevelopment and increased community cohesion are expected to result from the
removal of Pierce Elevated between West Dallas Street and I-69 (Exhibit 3b of the technical report)"

Page 7-13 of the FEIS:  "The contractor will develop a demolition plan for the I-45 Pierce Elevated Bridge structures and associated road, drainage, and utility facilities."

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2