Crest At Taylor: Multifamily At 2140 Taylor St.

Urbannizer

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
19 hours ago, hindesky said:

4b4sbyi.jpg

6vnGA9H.jpg

I have a not so great feeling this will be stucco... No ledge for brick to rest on. Means this very large beast will potentially be disappointing in materials and appearance.

1 hour ago, Avossos said:

I have a not so great feeling this will be stucco... No ledge for brick to rest on. Means this very large beast will potentially be disappointing in materials and appearance.

Take a look at the this image:

i4GoBs7.jpg

See the red brick. Now look at this image:

mm4ac1R.jpg

See the red brick? The tan above that looks to be either stucco or some kind of panel made of wood, but if you look at the mockup wall that is only going in where the stair wells are. Now look at the above image again. You will see what the facade conditions will be like everywhere else. Remember that they built up this site a little bit, so finished floor is not close to at-grade.

This is a very very very rough sketch I did in autocad real quick since I was already in the program. The cyan squares are brick. The yellow is concrete. The purple is at-grade. red is finish floor. This is what I would assume the section is at the balcony.

pg8hAsW.png

25 minutes ago, Luminare said:

Take a look at the this image:

i4GoBs7.jpg

See the red brick. Now look at this image:

See the red brick? The tan above that looks to be either stucco or some kind of panel made of wood, but if you look at the mockup wall that is only going in where the stair wells are. Now look at the above image again. You will see what the facade conditions will be like everywhere else. Remember that they built up this site a little bit, so finished floor is not close to at-grade.

This is a very very very rough sketch I did in autocad real quick since I was already in the program. The cyan squares are brick. The yellow is concrete. The purple is at-grade. red is finish floor. This is what I would assume the section is at the balcony.

Good catch there! I did not see this...

I was / am hoping for a mostly masonry exterior. I do recall the mock up looking promising! We shall see the extent of the brick work soon.

1 minute ago, Avossos said:

Good catch there! I did not see this...

I was / am hoping for a mostly masonry exterior. I do recall the mock up looking promising! We shall see the extent of the brick work soon.

I also could be wrong, but they are building everything pretty close to what the mock-up wall looked like, so in my professional opinion it will be mostly brick like they laid out for the mock-up wall. Besides what good are we (those in the profession) if we can't spot these things. If I catch things like this I'll let people know. I want more educated laymen when it comes to what happens in the discipline, not less.

I bike past this project every day. It appears that the primary entrance/exit for this massive complex is onto Spring, over the hike & bike path. There is clearly no entrance/exit onto Taylor. Where can I find plans for the project?  I searched the city's website but I'm clearly not looking in the right place.  

Also the actual project looks nothing like the renderings:  http://gdainet.com/gda-crest-at-taylor.html

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/4/2020 at 8:16 PM, Kevin Strickland said:

I bike past this project every day. It appears that the primary entrance/exit for this massive complex is onto Spring, over the hike & bike path. There is clearly no entrance/exit onto Taylor. Where can I find plans for the project?  I searched the city's website but I'm clearly not looking in the right place.  

Also the actual project looks nothing like the renderings:  http://gdainet.com/gda-crest-at-taylor.html

That is concerning if there is just one way into/out of this new complex. From a quick search, apartments.com and apartmentfinder.com show over 350 units in this complex. Seeing how bad the left turn is out of the Sawyer Heights complex next to Target, adding potentially that many more cars is going to be a nightmare. The hike and bike trail already has a long pause at the light. Add more cars who will undoubtedly block the trail and it will certainly lose its charm for that particular stretch (I also use that stretch almost every day).

The renderings must have been how they were able to easily sell this nightmare of an idea for how Taylor @ Spring could look. Barely any traffic with nice, wide streets, right? 🙄

Thanks very much for taking the time to share this pic. Makes me feel somewhat better but I really wish there was no exit over the hike & bike trail.

Navigating the permitting process is very complex. Does anyone have any guidance as to how I could pursue getting the city to require a stop sign at the Spring exit for cars, having STOP written on the pavement where cars should stop (instead of on top of the hike & bike trail) and/or a speed bump to slow exiting traffic.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It looks like they didn't apply for a variance, and the warehouses that used to be there (when looking at Google Maps) look like they have very similar set backs.  Maybe someone with access to the plat tracker could find the plat for the apartments?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Crest at Taylor Apartments: 2140 Taylor
  • 1 month later...

Does anyone know, or is there a way to find out, what are the plans for the hike/bike path in front of the building? I ask because they are adding a new segment of the hike/bike path which now lines up with the crosswalk (awesome) but I'm concerned the existing segment is going to be turned into a turning lane for cars?

17 hours ago, Kevin Strickland said:

Does anyone know, or is there a way to find out, what are the plans for the hike/bike path in front of the building? I ask because they are adding a new segment of the hike/bike path which now lines up with the crosswalk (awesome) but I'm concerned the existing segment is going to be turned into a turning lane for cars?

I noticed this too. It will be interesting to see what happens. I do hope there is improved safety for the trail users.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

They rebranded to Taylor Heights and I believe are now leasing. The project looks very "value-engineered" as a nice way of saying really cheaply built-looking but I'm no expert. The floorplans bit larger than average which is nice. But jeez they just made this congested intersection even more congested. 

I bike past here every day and agree. Even with the new bike path segment it's no more safe than it was before. I think it's worse actually. With the dedicated turning lane, people now pull all the way to the street to turn right and ignore the pedestrian crossing light. I've flagged this intersection many times at 311 and now Vision Zero. 

In addition, there is no stop sign, nothing marked "stop" where the damn parking garage exits over the bike path. 

I will flag this to Houston Bike Plan but could use some help if anyone here is with Houston Planning or god forbid, the builder follows these posts and wants to be proactive. 

while this is no award winning design, I think it fits in with the area and feels very basic. I find it as welcome improvement from the warehouses that were there. I especially like the trees.

Kevin - Safety is important and I hope they can improve... the bike path is very important.

Archived