Movie Recommendations

Subdude

Never read this thread before today. The 'Sicko' posts are hilarious, especially the ones accusing Michael Moore of making negative documentaries (duh, this isn't Animal Planet), and the one accusing him of being a divider, not a unifier (wasn't that some failed politico's campaign slogan?) All this, after Fox News gave it rave reviews. Probably lost half their viewing audience.

Good laughs for a Monday.

Oh, and this article came out today. Probably propaganda for Moore's movie.

44 Million Uninsured in US

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
i saw SiCKO saturday evening -

no matter one's personal feelings toward Michael Moore, the movie was on the mark about our horrible healthcare in the states

it either reconfirms what you already know, but with horrifying visual accompaniment, or lets you know just how bad it really is

anyone else see it? thoughts?

knowing people in the insurance and medical fields, it was really depressing to have what Moore presented confirmed

I saw it as well (I watched it online rather than putting money in to Mr. Moore's pockets).

The movie blurs the lines of "healthcare". He is DEAD ON with his statements on insurance companies. It is ridiculous what they get away with and how they control the actual care patients receive in this country. I would not be opposed to having murder charges brought against insurance companies that deny lifesaving treatments.

on the other side of this token is Moore seemingly saying that the quality of medical care (not what the insurance companies will pay for) is somehow inferior to countries like Cuba, Canada and France. This countries patient care and quality of medical services as well as it's advances in specialty medicine are unparalleled anywhere else in the world. He should have tried to differentiate between medical services and the problems with insurance companies.

Additionally, he tried to paint the country in a bad light because we do not have universal health care. We could have it if we did a few things. First of all, completely disband the insurance industry (which I don't really think is a bad idea) and secondly, raise taxes on a federal level to about 40% across the board. Moore conveniently neglected to mention the extra COST to the tax payer involved with universal health care. If people are willing to pay the tax, then we should get the service. But people already complain about paying sub-28% as it is.

Live Free or Die Hard was entertaining.

Transformers was awesome.

Evan Almighty was cute.

Oceans 13 was great.

Me, being a fan of The Transformers since 1984, this is the movie that i want to see.

You need to quit wasting time Marty, don't let this one get out of the theaters without seeing it. It is pure Hollywood magic on the bigscreen. I took my 5 yr. old daughter. Yes, 5 yrs. old, and she is begging to go see it again. I am pretty strict on what my daughter watches on TV, and her movies at the theater are normally sctrictly G-rated, but I let her see this one, after watching the previews myself about 100 times. She only got scared ONE time, and that was at the opening scene. Smooth sailing after that, because I assured her the robots were NOT real. She wants her own Optimus Prime now.

GO SEE TRANSFORMERS ! ! ! Worth every penny of that $7.50 + snacks. I would say it is Michael Bay's second or third best film.

I am going to see Ocean's 13 next, also have to go see Larry & Chuck, then Pirate's and the new Harry Potter and Live Free or Die Hard.

I saw it as well (I watched it online rather than putting money in to Mr. Moore's pockets).

Or, to put it another way: "Because I dislike Mr. Moore on a personal level, and disagree with some of his postions, I feel justified in stealing from him."

I haven't seen the movie yet. As soon as I pay off a few bills, I hope to.

• 2 months later...

A lot of good movies come out this time of year. Check out "Michael Clayton" with George Clooney. It is a legal thriller and excellent stuff. Also I really liked "Atonement" from the McEwan book and "Breach" about a Russian mole in the FBI.

Coming up, "American Gangster," "Rendition," and "Mr Brooks" all look interesting. "American Gangster" is about a drug dealer in the 1970s who makes it big. In the preview it looked like it had a great 1970s look.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

"No Country for Old Men". Has anyone else seen this? It has to be my pick for most overrated movie of the year. But then again, extremely bloody movies about psychotic murderers just don't work for me. Call me madcap, but that's how I am.

Has anyone seen "Sweeney Todd"?

"No Country for Old Men". Has anyone else seen this? It has to be my pick for most overrated movie of the year. But then again, extremely bloody movies about psychotic murderers just don't work for me. Call me madcap, but that's how I am.

Has anyone seen "Sweeney Todd"?

"No Country for Old Men" is an excellent movie, a few surprises in it, but very good. Can't elaborate much because I don't want to spoil it for you, but well worth the ticket. Best I have seen in a while.

• 1 year later...

I saw The Blind Side last night. Excellent movie. I'll be buying it once it comes out on DVD.

The LA Times has a great article on it. The last quote on it shows why it was really such a great movie:

http://www.latimes.c...ure24-2009nov24,0,3319521.story

Recently I've seen "An Education" which was quite good, a British one called "Glorious 39" which was better than expected, and "A Serious Man" which I totally hated. I think the Coen brothers are way overrated.

Recently I've seen "An Education" which was quite good, a British one called "Glorious 39" which was better than expected, and "A Serious Man" which I totally hated. I think the Coen brothers are way overrated.

You either love 'em or you hate 'em. There's not much middle ground with the Coens. I hesitate to suggest if anyone doesn't like them that they simply don't "get it." I don't think that's it at all. However, I do think there's a segment of society, myself included, who views the world slightly more askew than the average bear. For people like us, the Coen brothers are gifted auteurs. Their audience has never been the mainstream, and there's a good reason for that.

You either love 'em or you hate 'em. There's not much middle ground with the Coens. I hesitate to suggest if anyone doesn't like them that they simply don't "get it." I don't think that's it at all. However, I do think there's a segment of society, myself included, who views the world slightly more askew than the average bear. For people like us, the Coen brothers are gifted auteurs. Their audience has never been the mainstream, and there's a good reason for that.

I wish I could get away with words like "auteur", but my keyboard gets stuck. I noticed a few posts above that I also despised "No Country For Old Men". For the life of me I couldn't see what the fuss about that one was.

Anyway, just saw "The White Ribbon (das Weisse Band)". It's in German, and in black & white, so I suppose it falls firmly within the "arthouse" category, but it really is quite good. I believe it is tipped as a likely nominee for best foreign picture.

While I don't begrudge her the Euro-Muse thing, I am officially tired of Penelope Cruz. Went to the movies today and even the preview for the new Almodovar film bored me. On the other hand, as much as I didn't like Chicago and generally dislike musicals, the idea of Daniel Day Lewis as a singing n' dancing ficitionalized Fellini will probably get me to go see Nine.

The preview for Sherlock Holmes made it look pretty entertaining.

The new Yes Men movie was great. Their best stunts yet.

I wish I could get away with words like "auteur", but my keyboard gets stuck. I noticed a few posts above that I also despised "No Country For Old Men". For the life of me I couldn't see what the fuss about that one was.

Anyway, just saw "The White Ribbon (das Weisse Band)". It's in German, and in black & white, so I suppose it falls firmly within the "arthouse" category, but it really is quite good. I believe it is tipped as a likely nominee for best foreign picture.

Words like "auteur" generally give me the heebie-jeebies too, but I couldn't think of a better one when I typed that.

A lot of what I like about the Coens has to do with the way they tell their stories, not just the stories they tell. If that makes any sense.

While I don't begrudge her the Euro-Muse thing, I am officially tired of Penelope Cruz. Went to the movies today and even the preview for the new Almodovar film bored me. On the other hand, as much as I didn't like Chicago and generally dislike musicals, the idea of Daniel Day Lewis as a singing n' dancing ficitionalized Fellini will probably get me to go see Nine.

The preview for Sherlock Holmes made it look pretty entertaining.

The new Yes Men movie was great. Their best stunts yet.

"Broken Embraces" itself isn't bad though. Right up the typicla Almodovar alley.

To me the previews for "Nine" just looked annoying. Daniel Day Lewis?

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Anyone seen anything good recently?

I thought "Inception" was WAY overrated.

yes, inception was thought provoking and, at times, fun to look at, but not worth a second look as many suggested.

cairo time: simple, beautiful, human story. comcast on demand

mao's last dancer: set in houston. nationally significant. interesting to me, as we saw li cunxin perform with the houston ballet, and have been aware of his story most of my adult life. touching story, maybe not the best "film", but we enjoyed it. the film is based on cunxin's autobiography. cinemark market street, the woodlands.

dorian gray: colin firth as lord henry wotton, ben barnes (prince caspian) as dorian gray and ben chaplin as basil hallward. it was many years ago that i read this book and i don't remember it being a morality tale, specifically; however, i did feel there was a "moral" to the movie version. british movie released in the US on dvd/on demand.

no blockbusters in my recent viewing history, although i did enjoy each of the movies above for what they are.

Archived