WTx

Indeed - GREAT photos - THANKS!

Back in the late 80's I was lucky to take a tour of the Esperson building that included a visit to the top tower. The view was awesome, and I could kick myself for not getting any pics.

Very cool shots we would never get to see otherwise. I love the way the shapes echo the skyscrapers in the background. Wasn't that originally a viewing area open to the public?

Probably. From Page 266 of the WPA Guide to Houston:

The Observation Tower (open 10-4 daily; adm 25 cents), is reached by express elevators and a metal and marble staircase. Through a long-range telescope mounted on a platform, Galveston and other points within a 50-mile radius are visible on clear days.

Some other things I wasn't aware of:

Just above the observatory is the Jesse H. Jones aeronautical beacon, 450 feet from the street level, and the vertical radiator of Radio Station KXYZ, which has studios on the fifth floor. Two shafts of light are visible on clear nights for a distance of 50 miles. A 15,000 candlepower beam is projected vertically into the heavens, while another of 8,000 candlepower is thrown horizontally toward the Municipal Airport.

At Christmas colored lights are used, which, at a distance, seem to transform the towering shaft into an emerald-and-ruby obelisk.

Wow ... heights scare me, but just wondering what the view is like from the top of the Wells Fargo building or the Chase (? ... formerly Texas Commerce) buildings?

I would certainly like to find out! If I have the chance to go up, I'll report back. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Very cool. The city looks a lot more industrial than it does now, especially with the mill along the bayou and that huge tank in the background. Interestingly, Houston seems greener now than it did then.

Well, since I wasn't allowed to post both pictures due to storage constraints, I have combined them both into one.

post-222-1181055734.jpg

Rare photo indeed. It's too bad the public cant go up there now or can they? It would be so nice. ^_^

• 1 year later...

I figured this would be as good a place as anywhere to ask, but there's an article on the Gulf Building in this week's HBJ that, in the last paragraph mentions a historical marker dedication at the Main & Rusk entrance at 10 AM this Wednesday (11/26). A tour is said to be offered after the activities and it would include the observation area... Does anyone know more about this, if it's open to the public? etc...

• 8 months later...
Feeling Roomy, J.P. Morgan Shops Its Space

Lender Seeks to Unload Properties Following Bear Stearns and Washington Mutual Acquisitions

By CHRISTINA S.N. LEWIS and ROBIN SIDEL

J.P. Morgan Chase & Co. is marketing 23 office properties across the nation in an effort to rid itself of excess space. But the bank's timing, amid the worst property market in decades, means any sale is likely to come with sizable concessions.

The portfolio of properties for sale, with a combined 7.1 million square feet of space, includes four notable towers: One Chase Manhattan Plaza, near Wall Street; Four New York Plaza, also in the Financial District; the former headquarters of Washington Mutual in a downtown Seattle skyscraper that also houses the city's art museum; and a landmarked 1929 Art Deco building in Houston, the former headquarters of Texas Commerce Bank.

Link

• 3 years later...

Jaclynn Smith's father, Jack Smith had a single chair dental practice on the 5th floor. The 6th floor and below had direct connections to Texas Commerce Bank and GBA (Gulf Building Annex). After Gulf Oil moved out in the early 80's, a major gut and remodal occured. We had to keep service going to this dental office during renovation which was inconveniently located right under a major pipe chase. 

There were pictures of his daughter in the waiting room of course. 

Jaclynn Smith's father, Jack Smith had a single chair dental practice on the 5th floor.

There were pictures of his daughter in the waiting room of course. 

Ha! I also had a picture of Jaclyn Smith in my dorm room in the early '80s. Thirty plus years later she is still a beautiful woman. Even in a still photo you can see the poise, grace, and class people who know her say she has.

Also, the Gulf Building is, and always will be, a delight for my eyes. Thanks for posting i_am_jim.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 7 months later...

My brother-in-law was a weekend DJ at a classical music FM station that broadcast from the top of the Gulf Building. I remember in 1958, when I was 12, I went to visit him and we went out on a balcony near his studio and launched rubber-powered gliders off the building!

• 4 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Courthouse Surroundings From Atop The Gulf Building - 1930's-1990's

Archived